NYS Boat Trailer Registration

I am looking to hear from someone who has handled the below problem with a New York State boat trailer registration.

I am aware what the NYSDMV has on their site.

I have purchased a used boat trailer here in New York last registered in 2012. I have the expired 2012 registration tag on the NYS trailer plate. The seller no longer has the transferable paper registration. The trailer appears to be a galvanized 1988 Loadrite but has no VIN in sticker or etching. When looking at where Loadrite would have put their adhesive metallic sticker., there is none.

.Contacts suggest to register it as a homemade trailer.

How do you do that with the provisions of a homemade trailer when this is definitely a manufactured trailer with no VIN and only an expired NY plate and a Bill of Sale by the last registered owner?

Last edited:
32 yrs old,no numbers, I would say its home made to keep the process simple. The issuers of the paperwork will never see your homemade trailer.
grin2.gif

I had the exact same problem with my trailer. I worked with the title dept in Albany to get it resolved. The main thing they wanted was the VIN. I knew the VIN from paperwork but the sticker with the VIN was no longer on the trailer. I tried explaining that with no luck. They said they would accept a picture of the VIN or a tracing of it if raised letters. I used a Dymo (old style) label maker, made a label with the VIN. Traced it, sent that in and got the title in a week.

The problem still remains that I do not have a VIN to refer to to Dyno tape and trace to paper. If I had the actual VIN either from the previous owner's registration or had a Manufacturer'sstickered/etched, I would just go forward with the standard forms and indicate I am the new registered owner.

In reading NYSDMV, to register a homemade trailer, they want to see your raw materials invoices, along with the required safety, DOT and lighting specifications met. Once approved, they will assign a VIN.

As posted, I definitely have a manufactured trailer with no VIN and it's only identification is a NYS plate with a NYSDMV 2012 sticker with a bunch of numbers Identifying that year's registration.

Finally got through to the call center. Very helpful. Surprised really.

Since the trailer was not registered in the last five years, the expired registration has been archived. I have to request an abstract and include a photo of the plate and 2012 sticker, the previous owner with their NYsLIC ID.

With the abstract identifying the trailer by make, type and VIN, an affidavit from the previous owner selling me the trailer by the specs in the abstract, the sales tax form and my registration form, it should be good.

When I get the make and VIN and if it's Loadrite, I will get them to make some new metallic VIN stickers.

This trailer and it's onboard boat was purchased from my neighbor. It was his grandfather's. I purchased it, used my best BUTIG skills to make it roadworthy and Adirondack lake ready. The COVID lockdown really made this project lawn ornaments.

You should not have done the deal. Buying a vehicle without clear title isn't buying much of anything.

Assuming the seller was the last legit owner, he could readily go to DMV and get a duplicate title and sign it over to you. But will he be willing to do that now that he has your money?

Last edited:
Thanks for your unsolicited opinion. No worries. I have physical possession of the goods and signatures. Your opinion of concern would be for such an arrangement from the unknown character of the seller. As stated, this is a neighbor.

Reading comprehension is essential.

If you purchase a vehicle that does not have a title, it can be a little tricky to get one. Fortunately, there is a legal loop-hole to eventually obtain one:

Vermont will issue you a registration and license plate regardless of if you live in VT or bought the vehicle in VT. So, this is sufficient to drive around legally in any state.
Once you have the VT registration, you can then transfer it into your state at an "auto tags" business, and apply for a title / registration in your state.
The reason this works is because VT only titles vehicles 15 years and newer. So, for an old motorcycle or old car, there would be no VT title at all… so your state will recognize this, and will issue you a new title for your state. It's a big loop hole, but it works.

I would check Vermont about old boat trailers. You might be able to register it there?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Recalculating
Finally got through to the call center. Very helpful. Surprised really.

Since the trailer was not registered in the last five years, the expired registration has been archived. I have to request an abstract and include a photo of the plate and 2012 sticker, the previous owner with their NYsLIC ID.

With the abstract identifying the trailer by make, type and VIN, an affidavit from the previous owner selling me the trailer by the specs in the abstract, the sales tax form and my registration form, it should be good.

When I get the make and VIN and if it's Loadrite, I will get them to make some new metallic VIN stickers.

This trailer and it's onboard boat was purchased from my neighbor. It was his grandfather's. I purchased it, used my best BUTIG skills to make it roadworthy and Adirondack lake ready. The COVID lockdown really made this project lawn ornaments.

Send me a PM....I may be able to help.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
If you purchase a vehicle that does not have a title, it can be a little tricky to get one. Fortunately, there is a legal loop-hole to eventually obtain one:

Vermont will issue you a registration and license plate regardless of if you live in VT or bought the vehicle in VT. So, this is sufficient to drive around legally in any state.
Once you have the VT registration, you can then transfer it into your state at an "auto tags" business, and apply for a title / registration in your state.
The reason this works is because VT only titles vehicles 15 years and newer. So, for an old motorcycle or old car, there would be no VT title at all… so your state will recognize this, and will issue you a new title for your state. It's a big loop hole, but it works.

I would check Vermont about old boat trailers. You might be able to register it there?

Not without a VIN tag.

Back