Another SCORE # 3 !!

Dave[/quote]

Yea-I realize that this is the ultimate testament to this website-BITOG.com. Buying a beater for $1,500 with over 300,000 miles on it-then HOPING to drive it another 300,000 miles. The pinnacle of automotive ownership.[/quote]
If you do NOT have anything positive to add -- why not just keep your mouth shut? Noticed lately, your negativity on other threads with other members here lately also. Tell the wifey to give it up for a change.[/quote]

I hear the "block" feature works good here on BITOG. You are going on mine!

Originally Posted by CKN

Yea-I realize that this is the ultimate testament to this website-BITOG.com. Buying a beater for $1,500 with over 300,000 miles on it-then HOPING to drive it another 300,000 miles. The pinnacle of automotive ownership.

Oh the BITOG fever... I got a Lexus with 360k miles for $500 and hoped to cross 500k miles in it. It was great and did great on highway and in the city. Even did burnouts. After about 5k miles of happy driving the transmission started slipping... Even though i drained and filled the ATF as soon as I got the Lexus, and again in 2k miles. Now debating if I should sell it, or swap the tranny ($150 for 100k-175k mile used transmissions locally, plus labor) and build it into a comfortable Safari style rallye sedan. Bash bars, A/T tires, small lift kit, roof rack, rally light pods, etc... Wife wants it gone though...
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by CKN
Love these "scores"

bought a vehicle that has a motor quickly approaching the end of it's useful life-but I "scored".

OK.

Originally Posted by CKN

No-I drive a $50,000 pickup...................

BTW-have the OP do a compression test-and pull off one of the valve covers-then we will see if he "scored".

Originally Posted by CKN

Yea-I realize that this is the ultimate testament to this website-BITOG.com. Buying a beater for $1,500 with over 300,000 miles on it-then HOPING to drive it another 300,000 miles. The pinnacle of automotive ownership.

Pop_Rivit, is that you?

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by CKN
Love these "scores"

bought a vehicle that has a motor quickly approaching the end of it's useful life-but I "scored".

OK.

Originally Posted by CKN

BTW-have the OP do a compression test-and pull off one of the valve covers-then we will see if he "scored".

Originally Posted by CKN

Pop_Rivit, is that you?

You just insulted me!!
lol.gif

Last edited:
Mileage doesn't scare me all that much, plenty of cars last to 300k or more.

What sends a vehicle to the graveyard is neglect. As they age, people with less disposable income or on the lower rungs of the socioeconomic ladder buy them. They tear the car up, don't have the money or ambition to maintain it correctly. Problems pile up until there's an avalanche (something major fails), then said car is not worth fixing.

If it's taken care of and in good shape, rust free, it just makes sense to put money into them and keep them going. $1500 for a good condition vehicle that has no major problems is a fine deal IMO.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by CKN
Love these "scores"

OK.

Originally Posted by CKN

Originally Posted by CKN

Pop_Rivit, is that you?

You just insulted me!!
lol.gif

I have a warped sense of humor, take it lightly!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by JustN89
Originally Posted by CKN
Love these "scores"

OK.

How are you able to ascertain that his engine is "approaching the end of it's useful life"? Is this skill transferable, or is it more of a "gift"? I ask because I can only imagine that, should this skill be able to be taught and learned, that you'd make a great deal of money teaching.

Maybe he has a really good Ouija board?

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by CKN
Love these "scores"

OK.

Jealous?

Are you attempting to make some sort of POINT? Or are you just defecating all over the thread for no reason?

Originally Posted by CKN
Love these "scores"

OK.

So I guess I'm a moron too then? I also have an 01 Suburban with about 300K on it.

The thing runs great for what it's worth.

The whole thing is quite interesting. I presently have 205,000 miles on my Burb and I have no plans to sell it. Getting another 100,000 miles would be great. Just finding a rust free running version with 300,000 miles is rare enough. Reaching the end of their “useful life” is just that. How much longer will it last? If it’s a work truck driven by an employee maybe that’s fine. If it’s your wife and kids driving down I-10 in Houston, maybe it’s not so acceptable. Things that could cause a breakdown on the freeway are the biggest concern, such as a fuel pump failure or that stupid brittle 0-ring on the oil tube inside the pan, or the radiator letting go. Otherwise, most other things will probably make enough noise to give you sufficient warning. Good luck and let us know what finally sends them to the wrecking yard. :)

Last edited:
A 300k mile Suburban from Texas probably looks like a 5 year old 20,000 mile car from New England. :LOL: For $1500 a running and driving Suburban is a **** good deal.

A rust free 250k mile Suburban wouldn't get much up in MN, but that's purely because of the lack of 4WD. That being said. $1,500 is a STEAL for a clean, maintained, good driving GMT800. Another 50k will be easy with that truck. So what if the trans fails, pull it out and have it rebuilt and beefed for $1,500. The 5.3 in that thing isn't going anywhere soon, other than maybe a little oil burning. Try getting to 300k with a GMT900. AFM issues, the 6L80 hunk of junk, motor mounts that eat themselves. Build quality no where near the GMT800. Then you get into the GMT K2, what with it's vacuum pump failures causing loss of brake assist, flawed AC condenser design that almost guarantees the need for replacement at well less than 50k, and constant interior electrical gremlins. A good friend sold his 215k mile '04 Z71 'Burb to buy a 40k mile 2016 Sierra Denali. That silly truck has been at the dealer more than he's driven it. USB ports, power running boards, radiator, vacuum pump (twice), you name it.

Looks like a super solid truck to me. There's nothing wrong with showing off a high mileage score. My $400, 252k mile WJ is one of the sweetest rides I've ever bought, and that's taking into consideration both the condition physically AND mechanically. It's at LEAST a $1,300 truck if I sold it today. Ya done good.

Thanks to MOST of you for the positive comments and support for my $1500 BEATER WORK TRUCK that runs great and has ICE COLD A/C
(A must have here in Texas) lol

New Sept Update:

Currently @ 325K miles and doing just fine. This week I Treated her to a CAI upgrade from Amazon. Best $60 I ever spent on a car mod LMAO😎(y)

$60 included the Washable cone filter, Clamps, intake tubes, heat shield !!

Love the low end torque GROWL it now gives !!!!!! I took her on FUN "test drive" on I35 last night lol 🤣🤣😇

Next week she's getting a fresh Shell RGT 5W30 OCI with blue bottle lubegard oil protection :cool::sneaky:(y)

1600842004793.png

Last edited:
Awesome truck man! People don't realize that is a complete running LS swap with all the accesories, wiring, transmission, ect. You could roll the thing and still sell it for $1500 just for that drive train. Somebody could just bore it out and put pistons and a cam in and have a real hot rod swap for cheap.

Awesome truck man! People don't realize that is a complete running LS swap with all the accesories, wiring, transmission, ect. You could roll the thing and still sell it for $1500 just for that drive train. Somebody could just bore it out and put pistons and a cam in and have a real hot rod swap for cheap.

Exactly !!! LSX engines are in TOP demand for swaps around the country !! Especially here in Dallas with the race shops/performance crowd.:cool:(y)

Nice to finally see someone in Utah with an "Open mind" ;)

Dave

Exactly !!! LSX engines are in TOP demand for swaps around the country !! Especially here in Dallas with the race shops/performance crowd.:cool:(y)

Nice to finally see someone in Utah with an "Open mind" ;)

Dave

That dude is not a native of Utah. He may live there, but does not have any of the characteristics of the very awesome native residents of Utah.

I've lived 99% of my life in not just Utah but Utah County, the Utahest place in all of Utah. But i do have an open mind and way too many bad ideas on what to do with LS engine.

Reactions: GON
I've lived 99% of my life in not just Utah but Utah County, the Utahest place in all of Utah. But i do have an open mind and way too many bad ideas on what to do with LS engine.

My post was not reference to you whatsoever. Utah county and its people, and the Cougars are awesome.

It really is pretty great even though i do not attend the popular religious club this area is famous for. This states turbocharged economy does tend to bring in a few bad apples from other states, i won't say what states because we can't go there on here!

Back