Oil pressure

2003 Dodge ram 1500 4.7 when driving for 15 minutes oil pressure gauge drops at stop lights and when brake is let off pressure comes back to normal. Not the oil pressure sending unit that was changed twice. What the heck is going on? Is this common for the magnum engines?

What happens if you throw it in neutral (to get slightly higher RPM)?

Are you sure you have an actual gauge, vs an idiot light with a moving needle (normal or low, binary)?

I put 5w20 in my ratty old 1994 dakota 3.9 and got an oil light at hot idle in neutral. I guess 10w30 was just thick enough to keep the light off.

Thrown it to neutral and it goes back to normal when im at a stop.i know the 4.7 are notorious for sludge issues im looking to removing the pan and looking what might be the issue. Yes the gauge goes all the way down till i let off the brake.

Put a mechanical gauge on it.
I have an '00 with the 4.7. Sludge really isn't an issue if it has been maintained.

If you got around 15 at idle hot that should be OK.

Are You running weasle wee oil?

OTW may have some worn bearings or as Mopar jr87 mentioned, drop the pan and take a look at the pickup screen

IDK if these are known for loose or leaky pickup tubes over time ....

Had the exact same thing happen to my 89 GMC 5.7 and then one morning I fired it up and it sounded like someone was hitting the side of the block with a 5# sledge hammer. I now have a gently used crate engine in it.

running the truck on Kendall liquid titanium GT-1 5w-30 with an stp extended life oil filter.

Did some research and a common problem is the pick up tube screen being slightly clogged so dropping the pan is what im doing this weekend. worst case it might be the bearings.

Back