Forums Migration

Please read this thread

Recent Topics
Any 47RH Transmission Experts? CTD Ram
by JHZR2 - 07/12/20 04:58 PM
WM Magna1 10w30 gallon $5
by 2strokeNorthstar - 07/12/20 04:55 PM
I found a WWII movie for yinz to watch.
by JimPghPA - 07/12/20 04:45 PM
Jackpoint Jackstand Review
by RamFan - 07/12/20 03:03 PM
Lesabre Brake fluid capacity
by Ihatetochangeoil - 07/12/20 02:56 PM
Baking Cookies in the Car - 2.0
by Nick1994 - 07/12/20 02:17 PM
Dealer ruined my transmission!!!!
by John344 - 07/12/20 02:04 PM
Wax / Sealer Recommendations
by 92saturnsl2 - 07/12/20 01:45 PM
Horrible Duramax Aftermarket Filter Mod
by ToadU - 07/12/20 01:29 PM
Japan unveils timeline for indigenous fighter jet program
by gathermewool - 07/12/20 12:27 PM
NEW Rotella T6 15w40
by ToadU - 07/12/20 11:54 AM
2001 Silverado 1500 4x4 Alignment Concerns
by Blang - 07/12/20 11:37 AM
Full Synthetic for ATS V
by cadillactech - 07/12/20 11:33 AM
Gasoline engine oil in a diesel engine?
by LeslieX - 07/12/20 11:32 AM
Can I use IPA 70% to clean windshield?
by painfx - 07/12/20 09:47 AM
The Heat is on
by Snagglefoot - 07/12/20 07:39 AM
Working on your car
by CourierDriver - 07/12/20 07:35 AM
My last two cars were direct injection
by Railrust - 07/12/20 06:52 AM
Newest Members
Slick122, Ford4life76, Patrick_Hall1988, Ron1948, cadillactech
71914 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
91 registered members (A310, 2strokeNorthstar, 4WD, 53' Stude, Audios, Averroes, 7 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 25 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics307,769
Posts5,317,433
Members71,914
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
NYS Boat Trailer Registration #5461300 06/24/20 07:58 AM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 528
R
Recalculating Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 528
I am looking to hear from someone who has handled the below problem with a New York State boat trailer registration.

I am aware what the NYSDMV has on their site.

I have purchased a used boat trailer here in New York last registered in 2012. I have the expired 2012 registration tag on the NYS trailer plate. The seller no longer has the transferable paper registration. The trailer appears to be a galvanized 1988 Loadrite but has no VIN in sticker or etching. When looking at where Loadrite would have put their adhesive metallic sticker., there is none.

.Contacts suggest to register it as a homemade trailer.

How do you do that with the provisions of a homemade trailer when this is definitely a manufactured trailer with no VIN and only an expired NY plate and a Bill of Sale by the last registered owner?

Last edited by Recalculating; 06/24/20 07:59 AM.

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 63k
2007 Buick Lacrosse 63k
2008 Ford Ranger XLT V-6 4.0 SOHC 76k
Re: NYS Boat Trailer Registration [Re: Recalculating] #5461420 06/24/20 11:25 AM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,837
A
andyd Offline
Offline
A
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,837
32 yrs old,no numbers, I would say its home made to keep the process simple. The issuers of the paperwork will never see your homemade trailer. grin2


'16 Camry LE STP synth 0w20 and STP filter. the Fridge

1994 Ranger ,the Rat, 5w30 dino, STP filter

'16 Camry SE, Valvoline HM 0w20 and OEM filter
Thick oil is better grin2
Re: NYS Boat Trailer Registration [Re: Recalculating] #5461447 06/24/20 12:06 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 24,643
D
Donald Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 24,643
I had the exact same problem with my trailer. I worked with the title dept in Albany to get it resolved. The main thing they wanted was the VIN. I knew the VIN from paperwork but the sticker with the VIN was no longer on the trailer. I tried explaining that with no luck. They said they would accept a picture of the VIN or a tracing of it if raised letters. I used a Dymo (old style) label maker, made a label with the VIN. Traced it, sent that in and got the title in a week.


2015 Ford F-250 w/Powerstroke
2016 Subaru Crosstrek CVT (wife's)
Re: NYS Boat Trailer Registration [Re: Recalculating] #5461496 06/24/20 01:19 PM
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 42
D
DukeOfFrontenac Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 42
+1 on the Dymo labelmaker trick. It's worked for me more than once.

FYI - Load Rite has a process for obtaining a replacement VIN sticker. Go here: http://www.loadrite.com/resources/faqs/ and search for 'VIN sticker'.

Re: NYS Boat Trailer Registration [Re: Recalculating] #5461542 06/24/20 02:37 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 528
R
Recalculating Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 528
The problem still remains that I do not have a VIN to refer to to Dyno tape and trace to paper. If I had the actual VIN either from the previous owner’s registration or had a Manufacturer’sstickered/etched, I would just go forward with the standard forms and indicate I am the new registered owner.


2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 63k
2007 Buick Lacrosse 63k
2008 Ford Ranger XLT V-6 4.0 SOHC 76k
Re: NYS Boat Trailer Registration [Re: andyd] #5461548 06/24/20 02:47 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 528
R
Recalculating Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 528
In reading NYSDMV, to register a homemade trailer, they want to see your raw materials invoices, along with the required safety, DOT and lighting specifications met. Once approved, they will assign a VIN.

As posted, I definitely have a manufactured trailer with no VIN and it’s only identification is a NYS plate with a NYSDMV 2012 sticker with a bunch of numbers Identifying that year’s registration.


2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 63k
2007 Buick Lacrosse 63k
2008 Ford Ranger XLT V-6 4.0 SOHC 76k
Re: NYS Boat Trailer Registration [Re: DukeOfFrontenac] #5461550 06/24/20 02:50 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 528
R
Recalculating Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by DukeOfFrontenac


FYI - Load Rite has a process for obtaining a replacement VIN sticker. Go here: http://www.loadrite.com/resources/faqs/ and search for 'VIN sticker'.


I am aware Loadrite has a replacement VIN sticker process, however I do not have a VIN.

Last edited by Recalculating; 06/24/20 02:51 PM.

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 63k
2007 Buick Lacrosse 63k
2008 Ford Ranger XLT V-6 4.0 SOHC 76k
Re: NYS Boat Trailer Registration [Re: Recalculating] #5461559 06/24/20 03:05 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 24,643
D
Donald Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 24,643
Can't DMV look up the VIN from the license plate?

Last edited by Donald; 06/24/20 03:06 PM.

2015 Ford F-250 w/Powerstroke
2016 Subaru Crosstrek CVT (wife's)
Re: NYS Boat Trailer Registration [Re: Donald] #5461612 06/24/20 04:13 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 528
R
Recalculating Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 528
Finally got through to the call center. Very helpful. Surprised really.

Since the trailer was not registered in the last five years, the expired registration has been archived. I have to request an abstract and include a photo of the plate and 2012 sticker, the previous owner with their NYsLIC ID.

With the abstract identifying the trailer by make, type and VIN, an affidavit from the previous owner selling me the trailer by the specs in the abstract, the sales tax form and my registration form, it should be good.

When I get the make and VIN and if it’s Loadrite, I will get them to make some new metallic VIN stickers.

This trailer and it’s onboard boat was purchased from my neighbor. It was his grandfather’s. I purchased it, used my best BUTIG skills to make it roadworthy and Adirondack lake ready. The COVID lockdown really made this project lawn ornaments.


2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 63k
2007 Buick Lacrosse 63k
2008 Ford Ranger XLT V-6 4.0 SOHC 76k
Re: NYS Boat Trailer Registration [Re: Recalculating] #5461613 06/24/20 04:14 PM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,736
M
mk378 Online Content
Online Content
M
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,736
You should not have done the deal. Buying a vehicle without clear title isn't buying much of anything.

Assuming the seller was the last legit owner, he could readily go to DMV and get a duplicate title and sign it over to you. But will he be willing to do that now that he has your money?

Last edited by mk378; 06/24/20 04:15 PM.
Re: NYS Boat Trailer Registration [Re: mk378] #5461663 06/24/20 05:40 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 528
R
Recalculating Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 528
Thanks for your unsolicited opinion. No worries. I have physical possession of the goods and signatures. Your opinion of concern would be for such an arrangement from the unknown character of the seller. As stated, this is a neighbor.

Reading comprehension is essential.


2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 63k
2007 Buick Lacrosse 63k
2008 Ford Ranger XLT V-6 4.0 SOHC 76k
Re: NYS Boat Trailer Registration [Re: Recalculating] #5461732 06/24/20 07:15 PM
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,503
V
Vern_in_IL Offline
Offline
V
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,503
Quote
If you purchase a vehicle that does not have a title, it can be a little tricky to get one. Fortunately, there is a legal loop-hole to eventually obtain one:

Vermont will issue you a registration and license plate regardless of if you live in VT or bought the vehicle in VT. So, this is sufficient to drive around legally in any state.
Once you have the VT registration, you can then transfer it into your state at an “auto tags” business, and apply for a title / registration in your state.
The reason this works is because VT only titles vehicles 15 years and newer. So, for an old motorcycle or old car, there would be no VT title at all… so your state will recognize this, and will issue you a new title for your state. It’s a big loop hole, but it works.


I would check Vermont about old boat trailers. You might be able to register it there?

Last edited by Vern_in_IL; 06/24/20 07:16 PM.
Re: NYS Boat Trailer Registration [Re: Recalculating] #5461748 06/24/20 07:35 PM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,246
B
BISCUT Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,246
Originally Posted by Recalculating
Finally got through to the call center. Very helpful. Surprised really.

Since the trailer was not registered in the last five years, the expired registration has been archived. I have to request an abstract and include a photo of the plate and 2012 sticker, the previous owner with their NYsLIC ID.

With the abstract identifying the trailer by make, type and VIN, an affidavit from the previous owner selling me the trailer by the specs in the abstract, the sales tax form and my registration form, it should be good.

When I get the make and VIN and if it’s Loadrite, I will get them to make some new metallic VIN stickers.

This trailer and it’s onboard boat was purchased from my neighbor. It was his grandfather’s. I purchased it, used my best BUTIG skills to make it roadworthy and Adirondack lake ready. The COVID lockdown really made this project lawn ornaments.


Send me a PM....I may be able to help.


2015 F150 Lariat M1 5-30 EP FRAM Ultra(48k)
2017 Sub OB M1 5-30 EP FRAM Ultra(78k)


Re: NYS Boat Trailer Registration [Re: Vern_in_IL] #5463878 06/27/20 06:50 AM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,810
J
Jarlaxle Offline
Offline
J
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,810
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Quote
If you purchase a vehicle that does not have a title, it can be a little tricky to get one. Fortunately, there is a legal loop-hole to eventually obtain one:

Vermont will issue you a registration and license plate regardless of if you live in VT or bought the vehicle in VT. So, this is sufficient to drive around legally in any state.
Once you have the VT registration, you can then transfer it into your state at an “auto tags” business, and apply for a title / registration in your state.
The reason this works is because VT only titles vehicles 15 years and newer. So, for an old motorcycle or old car, there would be no VT title at all… so your state will recognize this, and will issue you a new title for your state. It’s a big loop hole, but it works.


I would check Vermont about old boat trailers. You might be able to register it there?


Not without a VIN tag.


1979 Coupe de Ville, 542 stroker, Super Tech 15W-40, Super Tech filter
2013 Challenger SRT8 Core, Valvoline synthetic 0W-40, Purolator
2011 Sportster 883, SYN3 20W-50, HD black
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™