2017 RAM Brake Pads reccomendation?

Hey guys need to do the brakes on my RAM. Any recommendations? The OE is semi matallic but I hear a lot of good things about the ceramic pads. I was looking at the Wagner OEX but they are ceramic? Any info would be great. I may do the rotors too.

The Akebono ACT and ASP lines are highly regarded on here. So are the Raybestos EHT Element 3 pads. Can't go wrong with either. I've tried both the Akebono lines and they work great, very little dusting, good stopping power, and long life.

Last edited:
My wife's Expedition has the OEX pads on it right now. They're the first set that don't have any squeal, so that is a plus. The braking performance seems as good as anything else I've ever had on it, but we don't tow with it and it rarely has hard stops.

Wagner Severe Duty
Raybestos Element 3
Both are semi-metallic
Personally, I don't like ceramic pads on heavy vehicles like trucks or large SUVs. They don't dissipate heat as well as semi-metallics. High heat leads to glazing of the pads. If you decide to replace the rotors, don't buy those slotted and drilled rotors. Stay with something similar to the OE.

I have used Centric pads and rotors on many vehicles from small cars to trucks and have been satisfied with them. I use the 120 series rotors with the Posi Quiet pads.

There is nothing wrong with Wagner OEX
smile.gif

Other good pads:
Akebono ASP
EBC Greenstuff or Ultimax ("Blackstuff")
Hawk LTS

The Raybestos EHT pads have been getting popular on BITOG as well

If you replace the rotors, the best ones to get are Centric Premium, Wagner E-coated, or Powerstop Geomet coated rotors.

Rock Auto carries Mopar pads and rotors for the front, but not the rear, of your truck

Is your Ram a heavy hauler or a grocery getter ?

In 50 years , I have purchased , maybe , around half a dozen rotors . I generally buy the low priced lifetime pads / shoes .

I am not competing in NASCAR or hauling freight .

Yup, lots of good suggestions above.
I am currently using Wagner OEX on the Altima in my signature. Installed in April 2020. I like them thus far. Feel like the Akebono ProACT that I've used in the past and much like the OE pad that came on the car.

Wagner Thermoquiet ceramics were a very decent OE replacement pad on my F150.
Wagner OEX performed very well on our Explorer Sport, but we got rid of it long before the brakes got old so hard to say for total life.
Powerstop Z36 replaced the TQs on my F150. About 5k miles on them and so far they are exceptional. We will have to wait and see how they do over their lifespan but right now my 2011 is stopping MUCH better than our 2018 F150 with all original brakes. I wasn't sold on them before but between some good prices and the heavy zinc coating (I was certain I wanted some type of coated rotor here in the salt belt) I tried them.

If you have been happy with the performance of the OE pads, then that is what I would install.

The only thing you'll gain with ceramic pads is less visible brake dust, and the brakes may fell like more pedal is required.

Originally Posted by drtyler
If you have been happy with the performance of the OE pads, then that is what I would install.

The only thing you'll gain with ceramic pads is less visible brake dust, and the brakes may fell like more pedal is required.

This. That's generally the way I lean as well, if one is pleased with the characteristics of the OE setup, going that route makes sense.

I've had excellent results from the Raybestos Element pads on any vehicle I've used them on. I would recommend those.

I changed pads and rotors all the way around on my 2017 Ram 1500 in March. APS brand off fleabay. $162 all-in for rotors, pads and hardware. Fit like factory and working perfectly 3 months in. I had about 50K miles on the factory pads and rotors and could have gone on with them, but I was getting an ugly wear pattern on the rears, plus I had to open things up to lube the parking brake mechanisms on the backing plates, which leads me to a big time recommendation for your 2017. ..

Does your P-brake cable sag at all? If so, the cam levers that actuate the shoes through the backing plates are corroded and locked up. You can free them up with some penetrating oil and elbow grease. If not, it's an expensive fix.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by drtyler

This. That's generally the way I lean as well, if one is pleased with the characteristics of the OE setup, going that route makes sense.

https://www.moparwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-brake-pads-68334862ab

The OE front pads appear to use an adhesive on the outboard shims for noise control. Aftermarket pads rarely have this feature. Unless the aftermarket pads are using a less aggressive material, there is a chance that you may experience noise.

I found Akebonos to be lacking on a truck that tows. Hawk lts perform great (they need a block or two to warm up) BUT they dust pretty heavily. I've got a set of the Raybestos EHT pads waiting to go on as soon as I can get around to it.

M

Back