Forums Migration

Please read this thread

Recent Topics
Nokian Entyre C/S
by Robster - 07/09/20 06:00 AM
Corolla Cross
by wemay - 07/09/20 05:51 AM
Pennzoil strikes again with PDS (Euro 5W40)
by edyvw - 07/09/20 01:44 AM
Extra Load tires - Firmer ride?
by Spetz - 07/09/20 12:34 AM
make sure to use a software firewall
by 2004tdigls - 07/08/20 11:02 PM
Castrol 0w40 without LL-01 in BMW S63
by propellerhead78 - 07/08/20 09:59 PM
Automated key duplicators
by y_p_w - 07/08/20 09:59 PM
0W20 vs 5W20 base oils
by aquariuscsm - 07/08/20 09:39 PM
Shell Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle 5w30
by SummitX670 - 07/08/20 08:56 PM
Silicone rubber valve cover gaskets?
by Spetz - 07/08/20 07:59 PM
Back Up Camera
by Redright9 - 07/08/20 07:53 PM
Good Jackstands?
by 2015_PSD - 07/08/20 07:17 PM
Harbor Freight recalls more jack stands
by FordBroncoVWJeta - 07/08/20 07:11 PM
can a family of 4 use 34k gallons
by WhyMe - 07/08/20 05:26 PM
305 SBC Starter Grinding
by WA1DH - 07/08/20 05:19 PM
Ever hit a water meter with your riding mower?
by bchannell - 07/08/20 05:10 PM
Oil Recommendation 2020 GR Supra (Z4 har har)
by afree - 07/08/20 04:21 PM
Failing A/C compressor
by mb32 - 07/08/20 04:14 PM
PQIA 3 5W-30's 1 0W-20
by Jackson_Slugger - 07/08/20 03:35 PM
Newest Members
Sledstorm1, Wishiwereaskibum, snowshew, Tenderness, SummitX670
71888 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
59 registered members (ABN_CBT_ENGR, alarmguy, 77Se7en, 07hemi, 2002 Maxima SE, 7 invisible), 1,010 guests, and 36 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics307,629
Posts5,314,518
Members71,888
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Fuel and Brake Line Replacement #5461006 06/23/20 06:34 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,518
K
kschachn Online Content OP
OP Online Content
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,518
My daughter's 1996 Accord needed new tires and a few other things, and while test driving it after repair I stepped on the brakes a little harder than usual and heard and felt a "pop" in the rear. Bottom line is that the brake line to the right rear wheel was severely corroded above the fuel tank and finally let go. I had been looking at the lines in the front every time I change oil, but had not noticed that beginning about halfway back they were in poor condition. So I ended up replacing both brake lines and all three fuel lines, plus a new fuel tank and pump. Not as difficult a job as was the work on my old BMW (the line routing was pretty direct), but the Honda way of securing the five lines to the body with a plastic cage was somewhat weird and difficult to work with. I got help on this job from a good friend who is a much more capable and patient mechanic than I am.

Anyway, I thought it might be interesting to someone who does not live in the rust belt and doesn't drive 24 year-old cars. The pictures really don't show most of the routing and lines, and they look more "sloppy" than they actually are. I used Nicopp tubing since that is what I used on the BMW and it worked well. The fuel supply line had a kink in it which we cut out later and spliced in a new section, not only did it have the kink but it ended up being about 1" too short to meet up with the nylon line coming down from the fuel pump.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]


1994 BMW 530i, 253K
1996 Honda Accord, 289K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 437K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 290K
Re: Fuel and Brake Line Replacement [Re: kschachn] #5461008 06/23/20 06:40 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,497
K
KGMtech Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,497

thanks for sharing, but I'm confused...is this old Honda silver? blue? or green?


2017.5 Nissan Rogue SV FWD
2013 Nissan Maxima SV
2009 Ford Flex SEL FWD
1984 Yamaha XJ750RL
Re: Fuel and Brake Line Replacement [Re: kschachn] #5461010 06/23/20 06:43 PM
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 3,779
H
hallstevenson Offline
Offline
H
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 3,779
That is AMAZINGLY clean for a 24 year old, midwest car ! You should have taken and shown the "before" pictures !

Re: Fuel and Brake Line Replacement [Re: hallstevenson] #5461012 06/23/20 06:49 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 24,628
D
Donald Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 24,628
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
That is AMAZINGLY clean for a 24 year old, midwest car ! You should have taken and shown the "before" pictures !


+1


2015 Ford F-250 w/Powerstroke
2016 Subaru Crosstrek CVT (wife's)
Re: Fuel and Brake Line Replacement [Re: KGMtech] #5461018 06/23/20 07:01 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,518
K
kschachn Online Content OP
OP Online Content
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,518
Originally Posted by KGMtech
thanks for sharing, but I'm confused...is this old Honda silver? blue? or green?

It's green. The bright green parts are some areas above the fuel tank that had some rusty spots that I sanded down and painted with the green Rust-Oleum I happened to have laying around. You can't see it now that the fuel tank is in place.

Yes it really is amazingly free of rust considering most if its life it lived in the salt zone. Whatever Honda did to paint/coat these cars back in 1996 worked well.

[Linked Image]


1994 BMW 530i, 253K
1996 Honda Accord, 289K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 437K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 290K
Re: Fuel and Brake Line Replacement [Re: kschachn] #5461021 06/23/20 07:09 PM
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 14
B
BigGeo Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 14
Nice job. Your daughter lucky to have a helpful dad.

Re: Fuel and Brake Line Replacement [Re: hallstevenson] #5461023 06/23/20 07:11 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,518
K
kschachn Online Content OP
OP Online Content
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,518
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
That is AMAZINGLY clean for a 24 year old, midwest car ! You should have taken and shown the "before" pictures !

The fuel tank was shot, it was heavily rusted in the front (I punched a hole through it with a screwdriver) and the lines on top were rusted.

It is getting harder and harder to get parts from a dealer and I noticed that this time some of the ones that were available came with a special tag that said "Vintage Parts." The price has escalated as well on some of them compared to the last time I looked.

[Linked Image]


1994 BMW 530i, 253K
1996 Honda Accord, 289K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 437K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 290K
Re: Fuel and Brake Line Replacement [Re: kschachn] #5461036 06/23/20 07:36 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 35,787
E
eljefino Offline
Offline
E
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 35,787
Nice clean work. Those were the golden years for those cars.

Re: Fuel and Brake Line Replacement [Re: kschachn] #5461282 06/24/20 07:31 AM
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,066
W
WyrTwister Offline
Offline
W
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,066
Originally Posted by kschachn
My daughter's 1996 Accord needed new tires and a few other things, and while test driving it after repair I stepped on the brakes a little harder than usual and heard and felt a "pop" in the rear. Bottom line is that the brake line to the right rear wheel was severely corroded above the fuel tank and finally let go. I had been looking at the lines in the front every time I change oil, but had not noticed that beginning about halfway back they were in poor condition. So I ended up replacing both brake lines and all three fuel lines, plus a new fuel tank and pump. Not as difficult a job as was the work on my old BMW (the line routing was pretty direct), but the Honda way of securing the five lines to the body with a plastic cage was somewhat weird and difficult to work with. I got help on this job from a good friend who is a much more capable and patient mechanic than I am.

Anyway, I thought it might be interesting to someone who does not live in the rust belt and doesn't drive 24 year-old cars. The pictures really don't show most of the routing and lines, and they look more "sloppy" than they actually are. I used Nicopp tubing since that is what I used on the BMW and it worked well. The fuel supply line had a kink in it which we cut out later and spliced in a new section, not only did it have the kink but it ended up being about 1" too short to meet up with the nylon line coming down from the fuel pump.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I replaced a damaged steel brake line in my late teens / early 20's . A real pain ! :-(

I thank God I do not live in the rust / salt Belt ! :-)


Wyr
God bless
Re: Fuel and Brake Line Replacement [Re: eljefino] #5461290 06/24/20 07:39 AM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,953
S
SatinSilver Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,953
Originally Posted by eljefino
Nice clean work. Those were the golden years for those cars.


Yes the fifth generation Accords are one of my favorites. Ran from 1994 to 1997 with the refresh coming out in 96. I wanted to sell my 94 Civic to get one of these but would take too much of a hit with the numbers.

Re: Fuel and Brake Line Replacement [Re: kschachn] #5461293 06/24/20 07:42 AM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,953
S
SatinSilver Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,953
Have any oil based rust proofing products ever been used on the car? Most of the ones around here have the rusty rear wheel arches.

Re: Fuel and Brake Line Replacement [Re: SatinSilver] #5461669 06/24/20 05:45 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,518
K
kschachn Online Content OP
OP Online Content
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,518
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Have any oil based rust proofing products ever been used on the car? Most of the ones around here have the rusty rear wheel arches.

Not that I'm aware of, but I am not the original owner.


1994 BMW 530i, 253K
1996 Honda Accord, 289K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 437K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 290K
Re: Fuel and Brake Line Replacement [Re: kschachn] #5461735 06/24/20 07:19 PM
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 8,337
B
bbhero Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 8,337
You really did good man... And like others have said that car is in very good shape given location.


Nissan Altima 3.5 Coupe
Royal Purple 10w30+ Ceratec+ Carquest red 85358
"Treat your family like your friends and treat your friends like your family."
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™