2013 Triumph Tiger 800 Maxima Extra4 15W50 Full Synthetic. WOW what an oil!

Switched to Wix labs due to cost and TBN provided for free.

This oil runs $50 per GALLON and claims to be very shear stable, which it actually is as evidenced by it going from a 50wt to only a 40wt after 4200 miles of use. VERY stout additive pack as well!

It also holds shift quality incredibly well with zero notchiness between gears and ease of finding Neutral. Once I'm done with my remaining Rotella stash, I'm probably going to go back to this stuff and change the oil every 2 years since it can hold up.

Previous UOAs from Blackstone below showing how aggressively this motor shears oils.

[Linked Image from therightshine.com]

[Linked Image from therightshine.com]

Originally Posted by alarmguy
You can't compare shearing with rotella 5w40 against a 15w50 of any brand.
Apples and oranges

Send me that magic jug of Rotella 15W-50 you have and I'll run it in my bike and post a UOA.

1) I didn't read anyone saying they had a (non-existent) 15w50 jug of Rotella?

2) Rotella 5w40 is well-known to do what it does in terms of sheer. I think what he's trying to say is relative to other oils he has run, the Maxima 15w50 held up to what he expects or wants for a longer oci.

3) Why would there be a caution symbol by the TBN of 5.1? The oil seems to have plenty of active ingredient remaining.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Originally Posted by alarmguy
You can't compare shearing with rotella 5w40 against a 15w50 of any brand.
Apples and oranges

Send me that magic jug of Rotella 15W-50 you have and I'll run it in my bike and post a UOA.

Why? Why even a comment like this?
BTW no Rotella 15/50 exists at least in the USA that I know, let me know if you find one.
You are not aware that a 15/50 or 20/50, will hands down beat Rotella 5/40 known for shearing to garbage? Most likely why almost (not all) every single motorcycle manufacturer doesn't recommend a 5/40? Does yours?

maybe I am reading your post wrong ...
Ohhhh ... my mistake for sure. Your last 2 UOAs are the15/40, yeah, it sheared also and the 5/40. At least you can see why my comment on the 5/40 as your previous UOA shows in only 800 miles what has happened on the 5/40 compared to 2000 miles on the 15/40.

Anyway, almost all 15 and 20/50 oils will go down a grade to a 40 and they cost way less then $50 a gallon. Either way you lose about 20% of the viscosity no matter what price you pay.
AS others have pointed out, you maybe just as happy (possibly more happy) with M1 motorcycle oil which holds pretty steady.
Or Valvoline motorcycle oil in either conventional or synthetic ... 20/50

Im laughing to myself, got to get to work and granted some of my posts are as I drink my morning coffee and confuse myself at times!

Last edited:
Alarmguy is correct, either M1 motorcycle oil is as shear resistant in a shared sump as anything I have used based on analysis or seen posted in other analysis that took oils out to 5,000 miles.

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 held up (stayed in grade) for 5,065 miles in the shared sump of my ZRX 1200.

I wouldn't hesitate using it living in Tulsa, as I've run M1 20w50 over the winter here in Colorado. Garage gets down below freezing at night, the temperature warms up into the mid-40's or 50's and I go for a ride.

For what it's worth, M1 10w40 4T just barely dropped out a grade at almost 5,000 miles in the same bike, and that oil starts in the low 40 weight range to begin with.

Currently, I'm at almost 3,500 miles on the M1 10w40 4T that's been in the bike since October.

Did a long day ride, 310 miles round trip up and over Cottonwood Pass from my home in Palmer Lake yesterday. I ran hard going up that mountain on the front side and ran hard coming back up the backside after turning around in Taylor Park. 12,126' elevation at the highest point. It's the second highest continuous paved Road in the USA.

Anyway, the bike shifted flawlessly upshifting and downshifting on the mountain as well as the rest of the entire trip and has many more miles on the current OCI than most guys ever put on their oil before changing around here. LOL.

I use shift quality as a primary factor of when I change my oil, and these two oils maintain the shift quality that I think you appreciate as well based on your initial post.

I wouldn't hesitate to use M1 10w40 4T either in your bike.

OP, what oil did you put back in the sump from your Rotella stash?

ive raced with extra4 and done uoa's on it.
your 4L of it really didnt hold up that well in your motor
mine stayed in grade for my race which almost NEVER happens and yet yours didnt stay in grade.
your aluminum seems high for the miles and the fact you have 2 titanium is unsettling
the ONLY time i found Ti in my uoa i pulled the head and found my Ti valves to be tuliped and i redid the head.
actually that is THE reason i started doing uoa's back in '01 was because of the new Ti valves on the 4bangers.
yes come march i will have been doing uoa's on racing dirtbikes for 20 years.
the other numbers from your extra4 report are ok
but the alum and ti would have me searching for answers.

steve

I would think that the aluminum is from his clutch basket, ala lots of stop and go driving vs highway cruising. That's a good catch for titanium, and is good warrant to investigate, but I don't believe the triumph 800 motor uses titanium valves.

Back