Need Fluid For Washing Machine Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am inheriting a washer that needs a new transmission. It works but it leaks! No one seals the seals so I need a new transmission. I am thinking about trying transmission stop leak mixed with synchromesh or 75W80 gear lube! Please no Auto-Rx recomendations for the the washer!!

The washer is in great shape besides this. I am also going to replace the drive belt and maybe the clutch shoes!!

Thanks for any advice!!!

What brand of washer? If it is Whirlpool/Kenmore and has a drive belt it is a few years old. The new Design 2000 series has been around for quite awhile and is Direct Drive. This washer will leak only at the halves, can be taken apart and RTV will seal it. The center shaft will only leak when lying on the side.
The oil to use is 80W90. Rebuilt many trans with this oil with no problems. If the washer was going to sit outside in an unheated garage, then 30W with a couple ounces of STP/Lucas worked great.
If this is an older GE/Hotpoint/J.C. Penney's then the trans is easier to change. Plulley seal on the bottom leaks. Find an old trans. not leaking. Two sizes for this unit, shaft is the only difference.
If it is a White Wesinghouse/Frigidare/Gibson, it is history. Not worth the time in my book.
If it is an older Maytag, worth the time to rebuild. If it is the Maytag/Magic Chef/Admiral/Norge that used the spinning trans, again I dumped them.

cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
What brand of washer? If it is Whirlpool/Kenmore and has a drive belt it is a few years old. The new Design 2000 series has been around for quite awhile and is Direct Drive. This washer will leak only at the halves, can be taken apart and RTV will seal it. The center shaft will only leak when lying on the side.
The oil to use is 80W90. Rebuilt many trans with this oil with no problems. If the washer was going to sit outside in an unheated garage, then 30W with a couple ounces of STP/Lucas worked great.
If this is an older GE/Hotpoint/J.C. Penney's then the trans is easier to change. Plulley seal on the bottom leaks. Find an old trans. not leaking. Two sizes for this unit, shaft is the only difference.
If it is a White Wesinghouse/Frigidare/Gibson, it is history. Not worth the time in my book.
If it is an older Maytag, worth the time to rebuild. If it is the Maytag/Magic Chef/Admiral/Norge that used the spinning trans, again I dumped them.

cheers.gif

bowdown.gif
worshippy.gif

Thanks Vetteman! This is my first attempt at washer repair!! Due to my German geneology and my aprenticeship in Germany I often get into trouble due to my over confidence!!

I belive it is either a GE or Hotpoint. My memeory is fuzy right know.

I have not even looked at the problem yet. I just know that it was working fine when I helped move my Mom and Dad. When I moved it we discovered a puddle of oil. SO it was replaced right away! I want to try fixing it first. Most places want $135-$175 for a new transmission. DO you recomend anyplace for parts???

John,
Correct the GE/Hotpoint are the same. The pulley is on the bottom of the transmission. The belt drives the transmission only and the water pump is direct drive above the motor pulley and connected with a flex coupler.
If I had this washer, I would look for an old used one or go to an appliance store that takes in trades and they will probably give you the complete washer free. This washer is really expensive to repair and getting outdated. It also uses a trans to outer tub rubber boot. The outer tub on these like to leak water.
If you cannot get an old one to take parts off of, I would not repair it. Just put a large towel under it, not the legs, and use it until it quits. Don't try to rebuild, success rate is very low on these units that are rebuilt. I hope this helps.

Thanks everyone!! I will try the the Costal gear lube. I will not be able to get the 132 in time. I will be installing it this weekend!

Thanks Guys!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back