KLUBER ISOFLEX LDS 18 Special A any alternative?

I have 2 bike hubs that use this grease. It's pretty expensive, I could bite the bullet because the hubs don't use a lot.

i was just wondering if there is an alternative that may be cheaper and more readily available.

KLUBER ISOFLEX LDS 18 Special A

(from data sheet)

Description
ISOFLEX LDS 18 SPECIAL A is a dynamically light long-term
grease for plain and rolling bearings. It consists of ester oil,
mineral oil and lithium soap. The product is resistant to ageing,
oxidation and water, and it protects reliably against corrosion.
Application

ISOFLEX LDS 18 SPECIAL A is suitable for plain and rolling
bearings operating at low temperatures and/or high speeds, for
example in grinding spindles, machine tool spindles, spindle
bearings, textile spindles, bearings in OE-spinning turbines,
bearings in precision and optical equipment.

Application notes
The lubricant is applied by brush, spatula, grease gun or grease
cartridge. Owing to the different compositions of elastomers and
plastic materials, compatibility tests are indispensable before
series application.

well - just to play devils advocate....a manufacturer cant specify a brand of lubricant - just make a standard - what is the standard this lubricant meets?

Originally Posted by tundraotto
well - just to play devils advocate....a manufacturer cant specify a brand of lubricant - just make a standard - what is the standard this lubricant meets?

No idea. Can't find it on their website either.

If it makes a difference, these hubs use a sprag clutch instead of a ratchet system.

Sure they can specify a brand, its done all the time especially where specialized lubes are required eg I have seen Molykote Gn specified for some applications not just a high concentration moly formula of some sort.
OP, Schaeffer's 219 SynForce NLGI 1 may be something to look at, you can call them for a real answer not just some generic crap like some other companies.

Originally Posted by Trav
Sure they can specify a brand, its done all the time especially where specialized lubes are required eg I have seen Molykote Gn specified for some applications not just a high concentration moly formula of some sort.
OP, Schaeffer's 219 SynForce NLGI 1 may be something to look at, you can call them for a real answer not just some generic crap like some other companies.

In the USA if they specify a brand - they have to provide it free of charge.

Originally Posted by tundraotto

In the USA if they specify a brand - they have to provide it free of charge.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Who does the enforcement on that?

You are sadly mistaken.

In this case I think the "OE" means "open-ended" and not "original equipment." This looks like a #2 lithium grease with an ISO VG 15 ester-mineral oil blend base fluid. It doesn't appear to have any EP/AS properties at all. It's like a spindle grease.

As a side note, ties-ins requiring the use of a lubricant to maintain a warranty are illegal and should be reported. I think the Magnuson-Moss Act is the federal regulation detailing this and other consumer protection.

Originally Posted by BeerCan
Let me be clear about this, Onyx specifies this lube but I am not and will not demand they give it to me for free. I don't have the energy or desire to fight someone on that especially because I think they are an OK company and offer a quality product. I know they are small and as a small business owner I can relate to the issues.

I just thought because we have some knowledgeable people here I could get a comparable/cheaper alternative to the Kluber lube. Did not want this to turn in to a MM [censored] contest
smile.gif

You really don't think I am doing that either do you?

Originally Posted by Trav
Let me be clear about this, Onyx specifies this lube but I am not and will not demand they give it to me for free. I don't have the energy or desire to fight someone on that especially because I think they are an OK company and offer a quality product. I know they are small and as a small business owner I can relate to the issues.

I just thought because we have some knowledgeable people here I could get a comparable/cheaper alternative to the Kluber lube. Did not want this to turn in to a MM [censored] contest
smile.gif

You really don't think I am doing that either do you?

I don't really understand your what your question pertains to
smile.gif
But I am not really accusing you or anyone else of anything. I just had a feeling that the thread was starting to derail, and I wanted to keep it on track so to speak.

If my post was accusatory that was not my intention, I just want to stay greasy LoL

Originally Posted by nthach
Campy I'm guessing? Supposedly, DuMonde Tech says Campy USA recommends their grease.

https://www.dumondetech.com/portfolio/freehub-grease/

I've used M1 Grease and Chevron Delo ESI 2 grease with no ill effects in Shimano stuff - Agip/Eni makes the OEM yellow Ca-based grease.

It's an onyx hub. Works with a sprag clutch instead of ratchets so I'm guessing that is why the different grease

They can specify a grease but they can't tie the warranty into its use. If the warranty is over the point is moot.

The Kluber grease is different than the Schaeffer and Shell greases mentioned. Its PDS is available on line.

Here is an overview of the hub I have been talking about here.

It's almost like a Chris King in how it works. They for years called for M1 10W-30 or a thin grease if the bike is to be cyclocross raced.

Originally Posted by nthach

It's almost like a Chris King in how it works. They for years called for M1 10W-30 or a thin grease if the bike is to be cyclocross raced.

But Chris King sounds like angry bee's and this hub is totally silent
smile.gif
I love the silent hub (nobl and onyx are the same)

Last edited:
I have 2 bike hubs that use this grease. It's pretty expensive, I could bite the bullet because the hubs don't use a lot.

i was just wondering if there is an alternative that may be cheaper and more readily available.

Let me help you out here. Have repped Kluber and done tons of machining centers.

Your hubs are basically made conceptually and mechanically identical to a machining center with an internal backstop ( which is what Kluber is mainly known for these days) as opposed to a conventional hub.

You need any "machine spindle' rated grease ( none will be cheaper that conventional #2)

You have high finishes, ceramics, tight axial tolerances and an inertial sprag set up

the standard characteristics of conventional greases ( tackiness, churn and others) will work against most of those and eventually degrade performance and possibly damage it.

OTOH, spindle greases are made for a reason and are not recommended to change with others.

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR

Let me help you out here. Have repped Kluber and done tons of machining centers.

Your hubs are basically made conceptually and mechanically identical to a machining center with an internal backstop ( which is what Kluber is mainly known for these days) as opposed to a conventional hub.

You need any "machine spindle' rated grease ( none will be cheaper that conventional #2)

You have high finishes, ceramics, tight axial tolerances and an inertial sprag set up

the standard characteristics of conventional greases ( tackiness, churn and others) will work against most of those and eventually degrade performance and possibly damage it.

OTOH, spindle greases are made for a reason and are not recommended to change with others.

I bit the bullet and ordered 45g for my needs. Considering all costs for this bike I guess it's not to bad
smile.gif

Back