Varnish removal for Carburetor?

What's the go to method for cleaning varnish from float bowl, other components of a carb?

No ultrasonic cleaner here, so looking for DIY stuff
smile.gif

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

Get the can of Berryman carburetor cleaner with the dipping basket. Fully dis-assemble your carburetor and place all the parts in the basket and submerged in the chemical for a day or two. No rubber, plastic paper. I'm not sure they even make the original formula stuff anymore but it sure worked good. But that smell.............yick.

This is some truly evil brew. Don't drink, inhale or get it on you.

https://www.berrymanproducts.com/assets/2AA-E-0901-0905-0955-SDS-1.pdf

Last edited:
Is this true or no?

Something we radio control airplane guys use to clean our glow engines, is an old Crock-Pot that has the ceramic removable tub. Fill it with antifreeze that is compatible with aluminum, disassemble the carb and put it in the crockpot on low overnight.
You can drop an entire glow engine into this solution, and it will come out looking brand new. The ethylene glycol dissolves the varnish deposits that the burnt methanol, nitromethane and castor oil fuel leaves on the engine, and doesn't harm the metal at all. Most glow engines are aluminum castings with either brass plain bearings or steel ball bearings, it doesn't hurt any of the metals.

Originally Posted by maverickfhs
What's the go to method for cleaning varnish from float bowl, other components of a carb?

smile.gif

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

They still make B-12 Chemtool . I have some around here , some where .

Now , a lot of people on youtube seem to be using an ultrasonic cleaner & something like water and liquid detergent or simple green .

I bought a ultra-sonic last year and love it, love it! I've had awesome results throwing small carbs in a glass peanut butter jar filled with Berrymans B-12 and putting the jar in the ultrasonic cleaner filled with plain hot water. I tried gasoline in the jar with the carb when I first got it, which worked OK, but the B-12 works better.

smile.gif

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

You didn't specify - are you wanting to take the carb off, disassemble and clean it or are you wanting to use a product that you simply run through a running carb that will remove the varnish?

Ed

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko

smile.gif

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

You didn't specify - are you wanting to take the carb off, disassemble and clean it or are you wanting to use a product that you simply run through a running carb that will remove the varnish?

Ed

For small engines it'll be removal of the carb and for a motorcycle it'll be while being installed.
thumbsup2.gif

smile.gif

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

I always used lacquer thinner to clean carb components(haven't touched a carb in thirty some years). Keep it away from composite components.

Carb cleaner or brake cleaner. Remove gaskets and o-rings before cleaning, as it can damage them or cause them to swell up. Let the metal parts being cleaned soak in the cleaner for a few mins before cleaning them with a wire brush and spraying off with more cleaner.

Mix up acetone, xzeylene, and laquer thinner in equal amounts, and let it soak overnight.

Then rinse with hot water. And soak in a bath of warm water and phosphoric acid or miriatic acid diluted. I dilute my hand and rought guess but you want to see just alittle bit of bubble action with the aluminum. It will look new when done and be a dark grey color. When using acid it cannot be left unattended. You must remain near it as if you make a mistake and forget, the carb will 100% dissolve into nothing.

smile.gif

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

I have even used starting fluid to remove varnish when doing a carb cleaning..

Last edited:
The liquid cans (not spray cans) of Berryman's B12 are probably the strongest solvents around, short of the liquid paint stripper that is "carburetor dip". B12 will strip paint, but not all that quickly. The cans are about $4 and work wonderfully if care is used.

Is this true or no?

Something we radio control airplane guys use to clean our glow engines, is an old Crock-Pot that has the ceramic removable tub. Fill it with antifreeze that is compatible with aluminum, disassemble the carb and put it in the crockpot on low overnight.
You can drop an entire glow engine into this solution, and it will come out looking brand new. The ethylene glycol dissolves the varnish deposits that the burnt methanol, nitromethane and castor oil fuel leaves on the engine, and doesn't harm the metal at all. Most glow engines are aluminum castings with either brass plain bearings or steel ball bearings, it doesn't hurt any of the metals.

My son does this with his RC nitro buggy engine and pipe. It is crazy the crap that boils out of the exhaust pipe. I personally like the B-12 carb cleaner, but this does work...

I use the napa carb dip. Throw anything in it for a day or two and it comes out looking new. Sometimes you have to scrap off some gunk and throw it in again. It isnt like the old carb dip that worked almost instantly but it still works great. If you are dealing with heavy rust that the dip wont get off use evaporust after the carb dip. Both the dip and evaporust are water soluable so there is no nasty junk to get rid of afterwards and easy to clean up.

I have tried getting by just using the spray carb cleaner but it evaporates to quickly to be left setting on something to eat the gunk.

Berrymans Chem-Dip Carburetor and Parts Cleaner.

I've tried lacquer thinner, acetone, and 4 commercial carb cleaners.

And I have an ultrasonic cleaner.

Back