ozone generator . good or bad ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thinking of getting one to put into my bag of tricks . i have read many positives and a few negatives. i will use to do cars and many some rooms in my rentals .

I bought one when I got our Xterra trail toy on the cheap. Previous owner was a smoker. After two treatments, I honestly can't tell the PO smoked in it ever...totally eliminated the smell. Make sure you seal it up tight and run the AC on re-circulation while doing it.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
If you remember, Sharper Image Ionic Breeze, eventually added a PremAir catalyst to convert the ozone back to O2

Which IMO misses the point of free O3 floating around neutralizing stuff outside of the flow path in the machine.

The point of these O3 generators were to disperse and distribute in a vehicle, get into the carpets, etc. and kill what may be around.

I had a mouse build a home in my 81 240D over the winter once. Big nest. Cleaned everything deeply, including carpets, but still had some wet carpet/mouse smell in the car unfortunately. Bought an Ozone generator, not a huge one, but one with a fan. Worked great - two short treatments and no sign of anything.

I wouldnt make a habit of it, and Id dress rubber and some plastic parts before using it, but otherwise, its a good tool...

Breathing ozone is bad for health. Using it to treat an unoccupied space is OK, and it will oxidize smelly chemicals.

Low concentrations in an occupied space create the "smell is gone" effect mostly because it stuns the nerve endings in a person's nose.

Yeah, I would prefer not to mess with it unless I really really knew what I was doing.
Definitely beyond the advice i found on a forum.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
If you remember, Sharper Image Ionic Breeze, eventually added a PremAir catalyst to convert the ozone back to O2

Which IMO misses the point of free O3 floating around neutralizing stuff outside of the flow path in the machine.

The point of these O3 generators were to disperse and distribute in a vehicle, get into the carpets, etc. and kill what may be around.

I had a mouse build a home in my 81 240D over the winter once. Big nest. Cleaned everything deeply, including carpets, but still had some wet carpet/mouse smell in the car unfortunately. Bought an Ozone generator, not a huge one, but one with a fan. Worked great - two short treatments and no sign of anything.

I wouldnt make a habit of it, and Id dress rubber and some plastic parts before using it, but otherwise, its a good tool...

With the old ionic breeze, the "impurities" will get attached to the charged stainless steel grilles, and the PremAIR is an aftertreatment of the ozone, to minimize its side effects with health.

If ground level ozone is so, good, why are environmentalists so concerned about it, if it's beneficial?

The FDA doesn't like it either
https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/ozone-generators-are-sold-air-cleaners

I used a dopey little rechargeable thing I got for $20 on amazon, a white disc 2.5" in diameter.

Used it in my former meth-head truck. Took the smoke smell out. 10/10 would recommend.

The crawl space in our house had a musty odour. We closed it up, started an ozone generator, and left the house for the afternoon (taking our dog with us). It really does take the smell away.

It's important to set it up so you can stop the generator without having to enter the space, and of course you need to give it enough time for the ozone to dissipate before re-entry.

You sure don't want to be exposed to excessive ozone. You could have delayed pulmonary oedema (among other things).

I saw a group of workers after an acute ozone exposure. A couple of them had abnormal breath sounds but their test results were all normal and fortunately there were no long term effects.

With the old ionic breeze, the "impurities" will get attached to the charged stainless steel grilles, and the PremAIR is an aftertreatment of the ozone, to minimize its side effects with health.

PremAIR is also the same coating BMW and Volvo used on their radiators to break down ground-level ozone to oxygen - and it was considered part of the emissions system.

Old laser printers with corona arc wires instead of a conductive rubber roller to apply a positive electrical charge to the drum produced a lot of ozone. Canon/HP installed a carbon filter in the exhaust fan on the older LaserJets and copiers. But, all laser printers and copiers produce a tiny bit of ozone.

I am on second one after the timer broke. First used on couch that a little girl sat on when she had a UTI. A black light revealed the urine stain where she was sitting. I used all my bag of tricks since I had 5 sofa's damaged by cat urine. My bag of tricks was urine destroyer enzyme products which never fully removed the odor. The couch I used Ozone on is still used today or 7 years later. I use it to freshen up my car interior. Smoke odor in a room. Mildew. You want one with a timer so you can set and leave it and return when it is safe.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

If ground level ozone is so, good, why are environmentalists so concerned about it, if it's beneficial?

The FDA doesn't like it either
https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/ozone-generators-are-sold-air-cleaners

Don't compare apples and oranges.

The ionic breeze attempts to speed a tiny bit of air through the electrodes, and collect particles, and then convert the o3 back. Again, process just the air passing through the electrodes. Turn it back so people can be nearby indefinitely.

An ozone generator is intended to be used on a timer, for limited duration, in an enclosed space, and disperse ozone to "touch" everything in the space to neutralize things that it can.

Totally different mechanism. Nobody is saying to stand and breathe the ozone produced by this machine. Because that's very viable to do in a system like the ionic breeze, sitting in your living room right next to your tv chair... not the intended employment for an actual ozone generator.

Originally Posted by Davejam
Yeah, I would prefer not to mess with it unless I really really knew what I was doing.
Definitely beyond the advice i found on a forum.

Pretty easy. Don't breathe it. Close the space you're looking to use it in, employ it for just a short time, and then let it dissipate/react back/diffuse away. Do your research on what might be damaged by ozone... like some plastics or rubber. So consider covering and/or dressing those things...

The generators aren't that big, maybe a cubic foot. Plus it in, turn on the timer, maybe 15 minutes, and then let it run, turn off, and let it sit a while. Don't breathe it. Open the vehicle up after, let it air out. Be smart. You wouldn't huff gasoline or paint thinner, use the same basic precautions on avoiding ozone vapors.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
thinking of getting one to put into my bag of tricks . i have read many positives and a few negatives. i will use to do cars and many some rooms in my rentals .

Ozone may cause cancer and certainly can cause more issues in people with breathing problems.
I cringe when I see one in an office and then educate the people in it.
Ozone smells great! Thing is if you can smell it, you are damaging your lungs OR causing people with lung issues stress.

With some research from government sources as well as private its easy as heck to find. Of course you will have the industry disputing this, but heck, why would someone use one? There is a reason in the summertime, in much of the country, they warn people to stay indoors who have health issues, you know? "Ozone Alert" that in itself should tell you something!

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/our-work/pro...hazardous-ozone-generating-air-purifiers

"People who buy ozone generators may not be aware that ozone can harm the cells in the lungs and respiratory airways. Exposure to ozone irritates and inflames the lining of the respiratory system. This causes symptoms including coughing, chest tightness, shortness of breath, and impaired breathing. Ozone can worsen asthma symptoms, and may contribute to the development of asthma. Elevated exposures to ozone can cause permanent lung damage, and repeated exposure can even increase the risk of dying among persons already in poor health. Persons especially vulnerable to health problems from breathing ozone include children and those who already suffer from asthma or other respiratory diseases, including the elderly"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back