Fram Ultra XG7317 - 13,000 miles on Subaru FB25B

For your viewing pleasure I cut up my second oil filter yesterday, a Fram Ultra XG7317. I left it in the clamp to drain overnight and I looks waaaay better than the XG9688 I took off my Hyundai GDI recently.

Of note I did compare the resistance of the bypass value springs and the 9688 had a noticably lighter feel despite being a 9-15 psi vs. 13 psi on the 7317. Using the skills I acquired obtaining my BS Degree in Advanced Bypass Value Engineering from BITOG University I presume to assess that the bypass valve in the 9688 saw some usage while the 7317 retained a firm feel indicating little to no usage. For some people I know it is difficult to believe that the filter media is the path of least resistance inside a spin on can oil filter unless or until media saturation occurs, especially in a Subaru when the antiquated OEM oil filter uses that dread 23.2psi bypass spec from 2009.

20200623_094918_HDR.jpg

20200623_095219_HDR.jpg

Originally Posted by Ignatius
... especially in a Subaru when the antiquated OEM oil filter uses that dread 23.2psi bypass spec from 2009.

What's 'antiquated' or 'dread' about that?

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
... especially in a Subaru when the antiquated OEM oil filter uses that dread 23.2psi bypass spec from 2009.

Subaru's OEM oil filter is an antiquated design and some people dread the thought of using an oil filter on a Subaru engine that has less than a 23.2psi bypass valve.

Here is an illustration >
18.gif

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
The XG7317 is mighty sooty looking. I can't imagine what your XG9688 looked like.

Is your Subaru a GDI engine too?

they are now...

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder

Subaru's OEM oil filter is an antiquated design and some people dread the thought of using an oil filter on a Subaru engine that has less than a 23.2psi bypass valve.

Again, what's antiquated about it? Subaru is who specifies that bypass pressure.

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
The XG7317 is mighty sooty looking. I can't imagine what your XG9688 looked like.

Is your Subaru a GDI engine too?

No the engine in this vehicle is not GDI. I don't know how well it shows up in the pictures but the XG9688 I posted pictures of recently had filter media that was completely blackened with an abundance of carbon soot particles covering the outside of the media and walls of the can. This XG7317 is just a dark brown color without the extra gunk.

Thanks for the post! I've been using this same filter for a long time on my Subies.

I'm doing 2X intervals on both of the Subies in my sig. I haven't cut open a filter in a while but will cut both of these open when the times comes. Unfortunately, with everything going on I've only put 1,500 on the Foz and 1,000 miles on the Leggy over the past three-plus months.

D-amn!

That's a nasty looking filter.

Ignatius -

Does your Outback Limited really have 100k miles on it?
And, I did not realize Hyundai made GDI engines back in 2012.(?)

Thanks for the post and the pictures.

Thanks for the C&P.

Of note I did compare the resistance of the bypass value springs and the 9688 had a noticably lighter feel despite being a 9-15 psi vs. 13 psi on the 7317. Using the skills I acquired obtaining my BS Degree in Advanced Bypass Value Engineering from BITOG University I presume to assess that the bypass valve in the 9688 saw some usage while the 7317 retained a firm feel indicating little to no usage.

9 psi is mostly likely the bypass bakve crack open pressure on the 9688. 13 psi could also be the bypass cracking pressure on the 7317, which means it would feel stiffer assuming the valve size is the same.

Not sure if you're implying that use made the spring go soft on the 9688, but the spring constant should not change.

Originally Posted by dkryan
D-amn!

That's a nasty looking filter.

Ignatius -

Does your Outback Limited really have 100k miles on it?
And, I did not realize Hyundai made GDI engines back in 2012.(?)

Thanks for the post and the pictures.

Yes this Outback is pushing 100k miles after being acquired on 12/27/18. It gets run about 3000-3500 miles every month though that has slowed down to about 2000 miles per month during the COVID19 lockdown.

I have decided to let the low oil light tell me when to change my oil from now on as the engine consumes a quart of oil every 7000 miles or so using Rotella Gas Truck 0w20. I switched to Valvoline Synthetic Maxlife 5w20 last OCI and also have M1 EP 0w20 on deck for the next OCI. I will just keep a quart of the cheap stuff in the car to get me back home as needed.

Back