Best pistol grip tactical shotgun <$1000

I can't say it is "best", but the reviews are all very positive, and I LOVE MINE!!!!

https://www.impactguns.com/semi-aut...g-fed-semi-auto-20-5rd-868042198037-vr80

Rock Island Armory VR80

My bride bought me one for our last anniversary from the local farm store. They still have another in stock last time I was in the shop. $699

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by DriveHard
I can't say it is "best", but the reviews are all very positive, and I LOVE MINE!!!!

Rock Island Armory VR80

My bride bought me one for our last anniversary from the local farm store. They still have another in stock last time I was in the shop. $699

[Linked Image]

Looks very similar in design to the Derya MK12.

There may be a good reason for that ... Google links say "The VR series is box fed, gas-operated, semi-auto shotguns built in Turkey and imported by RIA."

Originally Posted by George Bynum
There may be a good reason for that ... Google links say "The VR series is box fed, gas-operated, semi-auto shotguns built in Turkey and imported by RIA."

Yes, yes it is...not sure what you mean?

If you would like to see any pics/vids, I am happy to share. I think it's a well built gun that shoots well...especially for the price!

Originally Posted by Fattylocks

Rock Island Armory VR80

My bride bought me one for our last anniversary from the local farm store.
They still have another in stock last time I was in the shop. $699

[Linked Image]

Does she have any sisters?

Yup, both married...

Rock Island Armory VR80

[Linked Image]

Wow nice, I've been looking to pick up the mossberg 930 for a semi auto 12g but after seeing this I believe I've changed my mind.

Originally Posted by Inked
Benelli M2 Tactcal

Great gun, except the original post read:
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
I like the Benelli M4, but cannot see paying 2K for it. Any other pistol grip tactical models?

Since the Benelli is still $2K and the thread is requesting shotguns of LESS than $1K, I think he's looking for a different recommendation.

The Rock Island VR80 has piqued my interest and I would grab one of those but they do not seem to be available anywhere.

The Rock Island VR80 has piqued my interest and I would grab one of those but they do not seem to be available anywhere.

It's nary identical to the Derya MK12 or Typhoon F12. the Derya has been excellent, based on my experience, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Originally Posted by George Bynum

Yes, yes it is...not sure what you mean?

If you would like to see any pics/vids, I am happy to share. I think it's a well built gun that shoots well...especially for the price!

I should learn to attribute better.

I'm sorry, I was not commenting on your post or weapon selection, rather on "Looks very similar in design to the Derya MK12." by OVERKILL.

I've found one or two online as well as local stores (central Iowa)...I sent you a PM.

I've found one or two online as well as local stores (central Iowa)...I sent you a PM.

Thanks again--I pulled the trigger on one and will report back after I receive it.

PS - do you know if it will shoot the "shorty" shells (1-3/4")?

Thanks again--I pulled the trigger on one and will report back after I receive it.

Cool! Congratulations!!!

Ohhhh...don't know the answer to that. If I get a moment later today, I will take a look at the owners manual and see what it says.

Cool! Congratulations!!!

Ohhhh...don't know the answer to that. If I get a moment later today, I will take a look at the owners manual and see what it says.

Manual says chambered for 2 3/4" to 3"...no mention of anything smaller. I might get it out later and take a look at what might prevent it.
My guess would be "no"...I have some 15+ year old very light target load shells that can cause it to fail to cycle properly. I've never shot anything as small as you are talking about, but my first thought would be they would fail to have enough "oomph" to cycle properly.

Last edited:
My guess would be "no"...I have some 15+ year old very light target load shells that can cause it to fail to cycle properly. I've never shot anything as small as you are talking about, but my first thought would be they would fail to have enough "oomph" to cycle properly.
Yep; likely so on a gas operated gun. I typically use these as a happy medium between under and over powered ammunition and picked up a couple of cases before the craziness set in:

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/173315

Yep; likely so on a gas operated gun. I typically use these as a happy medium between under and over powered ammunition and picked up a couple of cases before the craziness set in:

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/173315

Those should cycle just fine!!!

Back