Another SCORE # 3 !!

Boy do I love these generation Suburbans. Now I have 2 in the fleet lol

Scored this one for $1500

Guy delivered it 50 miles to my place so I gave him $20 for dinner for him and his wife and 6qts of Valvoline 5W20 modern engine from my stash for his Ram 2500 hemi
thumbsup2.gif

2001 Suburban 1500 LT 5.3
Blk/Grey leather interior
Roof screen
Nice Alpine Bluetooth player
Rust free north Texas truck
318K miles
2WD
ICE cold A/C
Factory trailer pkg
3;73 posi with posi
Engine/trans runs smooth NO issues
Recovered from seats

Upgrades/Work So far:
17" "fat five" factory wheels/tires $150
4 New LT Wrangler AT/S tires $250
New front Bendix severe service pads and AC/Delco rotors $50 total thanks to Amazon warehouse deals
New shocks all around Gabriel ultra's $65 shipped (Rock auto closeout)
front windows tinted 15% polarized $35
Interior Detailed $60
New clear front lights/turns with HID's $80
All filters changed Cabin, Air ,Fuel $25
Brake flush Free
PW steering flush Free
Recharged the A/C with pag and 3 cans of Freon

And MOST important since it hadn't had a oil change in 1 year Jiffy Lube Pennzoil oil sticker said "next oil change 4/2019"
shocked2.gif
21.gif

Fresh Castrol GTX ultraclean 5W30 and pro-tec 166 filter $11

Have to get new windshield put in and if she continues to be a good rig ill give a maaco paint job for $650 quoted price with 1 year warranty

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Man I'm jealous of these finds. I've been looking for stuff like this for a while now, but I haven't really found anything worthwhile on Craigslist and I don't use Facebook. That's a good looking rig- those are my favorite gen of Suburban/Tahoes.

Sweet. My BIL was collecting those generation trucks for his fleet awhile back. Now that his kids are out of the house, he's been collecting MOPAR stuff....Chargers mostly. Nice find.

What is the downside to buying these Suburbans with 300 thousand plus miles on them? If an engine blows -- you gonna replace with a remanufactured engine?

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
What is the downside to buying these Suburbans with 300 thousand plus miles on them? If an engine blows -- you gonna replace with a remanufactured engine?

Ya I agree 300K is passing the "red line" on most non diesel vehicles. But these LSX trucks run for ever with proper maintenance, it's the POS 4L60E trans that i worry more about out of everything. I really doubt this one is gonna blow anytime soon lol. Been driving it last 2 weeks in Dallas stop/go traffic-Texas heat and not one issue with drive train : ! Engine is smooth and has EXCELLENT torque on highway

Have had some of these in the past with much lower miles that performed and sound horrible

Either the engine has been replaced or rebuilt ?? Or lucked out and got one that has received GREAT maintenance from previous owners ??

Dave

The future cheapo Maaco paint job brings back fond memories of beaters painted up by Maaco, Earl and some places without a franchise. Always thought I got my money's worth on them. In the seventies I had a Fiat 124 Sport Coupe that was rear ended by some kid on a motorcycle. Bike wasn't harmed but I got a single estimate from a "normal" body shop for $500. Kid begged me not to call the police, said he worked at Shaky"s Pizza and when I arrived he peeled off the money despite my offering to get lower bids. Money in hand, I went to an imitation House of Earl and got the thing crudely banged together for fifty bucks. Certainly wasn't first class, but I remember it fondly fifty years later.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
The future cheapo Maaco paint job brings back fond memories of beaters painted up by Maaco, Earl and some places without a franchise. Always thought I got my money's worth on them. In the seventies I had a Fiat 124 Sport Coupe that was rear ended by some kid on a motorcycle. Bike wasn't harmed but I got a single estimate from a "normal" body shop for $500. Kid begged me not to call the police, said he worked at Shaky"s Pizza and when I arrived he peeled off the money despite my offering to get lower bids. Money in hand, I went to an imitation House of Earl and got the thing crudely banged together for fifty bucks. Certainly wasn't first class, but I remember it fondly fifty years later.

Ya Maaco for sure up'd their game in recent years. Years ago they were a joke and you had a 50/50 chance at a decent paint job. But checking out the work local Maaco here in my area does for under $800 REALLY impressed me
thumbsup2.gif
I can get a cheaper paint job with one of the side job paint guys on FB marketplace but no warranty like Maaco offers

Dave

Love these "scores"

bought a vehicle that has a motor quickly approaching the end of it's useful life-but I "scored".

OK.

Originally Posted by CKN
Love these "scores"

bought a vehicle that has a motor quickly approaching the end of it's useful life-but I "scored".

OK.

Jealous?

Originally Posted by CKN
Love these "scores"

OK.

How are you able to ascertain that his engine is "approaching the end of it's useful life"? Is this skill transferable, or is it more of a "gift"? I ask because I can only imagine that, should this skill be able to be taught and learned, that you'd make a great deal of money teaching.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by CKN
Love these "scores"

OK.

Jealous?

No-I drive a $50,000 pickup...................

BTW-have the OP do a compression test-and pull off one of the valve covers-then we will see if he "scored".

LMAO you dont know how much I have abused this truck last few weeks here in Dallas with temps in 90's/low 100's and she keeps on going STRONG !!! With no trans or engine issues, no ticks or knocks or CEL.

And most important ICE COLD A/C !!

So yes In my mind, I scored
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

Originally Posted by JustN89
Originally Posted by CKN
Love these "scores"

OK.

How are you able to ascertain that his engine is "approaching the end of it's useful life"? Is this skill transferable, or is it more of a "gift"? I ask because I can only imagine that, should this skill be able to be taught and learned, that you'd make a great deal of money teaching.

He's Just trolling
smirk2.gif
. If I wanted something late model and fancy I would have plucked down the cash for it lol. Also he forgot I mentioned that I just needed a cheap "beater work delivery truck" for my auto parts business ????
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMguy84
Originally Posted by CKN
Love these "scores"

OK.

He's Just trolling
smirk2.gif
. If I wanted something late model and fancy I would have plucked down the cash for it lol. Also he forgot I mentioned that I just needed a cheap "beater work delivery truck" for my auto parts business ????
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

Yea-I realize that this is the ultimate testament to this website-BITOG.com. Buying a beater for $1,500 with over 300,000 miles on it-then HOPING to drive it another 300,000 miles. The pinnacle of automotive ownership.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by CKN
Love these "scores"

OK.

He's Just trolling
smirk2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

Yea-I realize that this is the ultimate testament to this website-BITOG.com. Buying a beater for $1,500 with over 300,000 miles on it-then HOPING to drive it another 300,000 miles. The pinnacle of automotive ownership.

I don't understand what the "pinnacle of automotive ownership" has anything to do with finding a cheap, but suitable vehicle for a work truck. Or does one need to buy a $50k truck to deliver parts in order to "score"?

Uhhhh.......Who said I'm expecting it to last another 300K ?? That's extremely unrealistic lol

Again we're not sure why are you comparing your $50K truck to a 20 year old beater work deliver vehicle ?? Simple case of not "Apples to apples"

To me and some on here as shown. A good running, clean SUV with good beats, New leather seating and ICE Cold A/C for under $2000 is a score
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by CKN
Love these "scores"

OK.

He's Just trolling
smirk2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

If you do NOT have anything positive to add -- why not just keep your mouth shut? Noticed lately, your negativity on other threads with other members here lately also. Tell the wifey to give it up for a change.

Back