Death of Conventional

I know we talk about this every time a new standard comes along but with the difference in cost down to $0.40 a qt on some brands, how much longer does it make sense to make conventional for mainstream applications?

It really doesn't for me. I haven't ran conventional in any of my vehicles or ones that I service in years. Conventional used to be a good value compared against synthetic. Not anymore. I know in 2000-2001 I was paying about .69/quart for Shell conventional as compared to $24~ for a 5 quart jug of M1.

I remember back in the day when dino's like pyb were getting better uoa's than synths. Now it's the other way around. Everyone talks about pao,etc,but the newest synths imo are better than ever.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I remember back in the day when dino's like pyb were getting better uoa's than synths. Now it's the other way around. Everyone talks about pao,etc,but the newest synths imo are better than ever.

I still like PYB but with QSUD the same price I just don't see it being cost effective.

If the oil companies are making a profit from selling conventional oil, whatever that actually is now, then it makes perfect sense to keep producing it.

I always used convetional oils throughout the 90s and most of the 2000s. Never had a lubrication related problem.

Then the auto part stores had synthetic oil on sale for the same price as conventional. I'll do that. Then I viewed the results , first hand, of the synthetics ability to keep an engine clean even if it wasn't changed on perfect 5,000 mile schedules. It was a "buffer" for me, when life got in the way and "I'll do it next weekend" crept in.

I could easily do the same thing with a conventional (really a semi-synthetic) oil of today. But I can still can find synthetic oil on sale for the same price as conventional, so why go back. Guess the sales marketing worked after all these years.

For the normal consumer, they want the cheapest quick lube change at the lowest price point most of the time. At least the oils being used are better now, no matter what they use (oils meeting specification implied).

Last edited:
Conventional is headed for the automotive trash heap to join with the manual choke and headlight dimmer floor switch.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Conventional is headed for the automotive trash heap to join with the manual choke and headlight dimmer floor switch.

And foot operated parking brake.

For me the difference between conventional and synthetic is $1.00 for a 5 quart jug (with no sales or rebates). It's a no brainer.

Originally Posted by skyactiv

And the pull out knob on the dash to turn the headlights on.

It'll have its place in the boutique brands. The higher pressure-viscosity coefficient of conventional oils makes it excellent for nitrous powered drag racing engines.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by skyactiv

And the pull out knob on the dash to turn the headlights on.

I'm still [censored] that i can't get knobs on the radio.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I'm still [censored] that i can't get knobs on the radio.

Same here. I still prefer analog knobs, buttons,and switches.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
It really doesn't for me. I haven't ran conventional in any of my vehicles or ones that I service in years. Conventional used to be a good value compared against synthetic. Not anymore. I know in 2000-2001 I was paying about .69/quart for Shell conventional as compared to $24~ for a 5 quart jug of M1.

I am fortunate that I get a shop price. I can buy store brand dino oil for $2.20/ qt. Synthetic might be on sale for $6/ qt

Last edited:
So which is better, the cheapest synthetic or the most expensive conventional. Is there any difference at all if they both meet the manufacturers specs. Are the expensive conventionals using a much better additive package than the cheap synthetics. There are still significant price differences in many lines like Rotella 15w40 conv vs synthetic, $13 vs $23/gal. Thats 2.50/qt and if they use the same additive pack is that the difference in base oil cost. So many questions so few answers.

The difference in price between conventional and synthetics in third world countries like mine isn't that small, that also makes some careless car owners use conventional where synthetics are required and use wrong viscosity grades too. Only conventional 15w40 and 20w50 are really cheap here. So, conventional is not so close to death, globally speaking.

Costco kinda stuck a knife in dino with its Kirkland.
I gotta figure out to run in my classics, but besides that I have no use for dino.

Back