car interior cleaner

What is a good car interior cleaner? I'm currently using glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth, then drying the interior with a soft cloth (dash and glossy plastic trim)
This works OK, but is there something better? Is there anything to help repel dust? I have a lot of glossy surface area and it shows dust very much. I don't need an aggressive cleaner, just something to wipe dust once. The microfiber tends to just push the dust around without some type of liquid.

Light cleaner: any rinseless car wash soap.

Heavy duty cleaner: automotive all purpose cleaner (diluted to interior strength).

Vacuum first.

Leather seats: Distilled water wiped down with MF towel and once over with Optimum Protectant.
Vinyl Surfaces: Optimum Protectant.

I like Turtle Wax Dash and Glass as it can be used on everything inside. I've tried 8-10 different interior cleaners and haven't found much difference between any of them. I try to spray it on the cleaning cloth to minmize overspray especially on the dash where it can get on the windshield.

+1 on the Meguiar's. I'm also a fan of Folex for carpets and cloth upholstery.

Yup Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer for sure.

I've used ArmorAll once in the past it dissolved the printed-on white lettering on center console buttons, never again.

I recently tried Lucas Slick Mist Interior Cleaner from Walmart. Worked great on dash and doors, dark colored plastics, etc. Smells good too!

Griots Garage interior detailer. They have a cleaner too, but this will do light cleaning and leaves some UV protection. Plus it does not leave the surface shiny. Love it.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Mother's VLR has been my favorite for a few years now.

It's not to be used on plastic.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer

This is my absolute favorite interior cleaner. Love it. I use it to wipe down the engine too. It leaves what I consider to be the best finish. No tackiness at all. Cleans all surfaces really well.

I've found that in the engine bay it repels dust and dirt the best. It barely leaves any shine. Just a tad. A more OEM look.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Mother's VLR has been my favorite for a few years now.

It's not to be used on plastic.

Vinyl is a type of plastic. They suggest other products for hard, glossy plastics (fake wood and "piano" trim), but it is perfectly safe for soft and textured plastics. The interior plastics of my 02 Ranger with the exception of the gauge cluster have been cleaned almost entirely with VLR for probably close to 10 years and basically look like new.

I use the meg. interior detailer, also have vlr for the leather seats. Vlr is a unique product, it has some neatsfoot oil in it, have cleaned motorcycle boots with it, works great.

Does 1Z (Einszett) still make their cockpit premium? That's a great product but it's a DETAILER/dressing product and not a CLEANER, really.
I have never used a CLEANER for the interior but might look into that, too

EDIT: it is now called Nextzett.

Last edited:
Back