Brake pads: caliper vs v-brake?

I've got an old mountain bike that uses basic caliper brakes. I need to get new brake pads for it.

Are the pads for caliper brakes different from pads for v-brakes?

Would pads like these work in caliper brakes?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OLYU74

This is what's currently on the bike:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've owned several bikes over the years but I had to Google V brakes to get an idea what they are. I've had a bike with such brakes and V brake pads tend to be longer.
New pads might not mate up perfectly flat to the rim when new until they are worn in. The pads in the link you posted should work fine despite the extra material.

Looks like those would work. You can also quickly flatten out or angle your brake pads on a sheet of coarse sand paper as well. I find the older the pads get the better they work as well, so I don't replace them until they are near the metal. I've got some V brake pads near 20 years old that will easily put you over the bars with 1 finger. Also if you take the tire off you can resurface your rims using a wire brush on a dremel to get some better braking.

Originally Posted by IndyIan
I've got some V brake pads near 20 years old that will easily put you over the bars with 1 finger. Also if you take the tire off you can resurface your rims using a wire brush on a dremel to get some better braking.

This bike sat for 20+ years. Plenty of material still left on the pads, but it doesn't seem to be doing much. I was thinking of resurfacing the rims, too. I was hoping something like goo-gone would get rid of old pad deposits, but maybe it's not strong enough?

I'd try flattening the pads out and use brake cleaner on a rag to clean the rims and brake pads, it seems to have no effect on the tires. Also have a look at your levers, some have a choice of two cable end positions which can give you more leverage. Even proper cable routing helps, one of my kids friends got a new dept store bike and the brake cables were being forced to contort around the shifter cables. Re-arranging the brake cables so they are straighter out of the lever and adjusting the brake pads got it stopping much better.

Mounting style and pad length.
Some (cantilever brakes) use a non-threaded post. V-brake and road bike calipers brakes use a threaded post.
V-brake pads tend to be longer to the rear of the pad, road bike caliper brake pads look like the ones in the OPs pic, shorter.
I imagine the length difference has to do with frame clearance.

If I had to suggest pads for rim brakes I'd say KoolStop Salmon pads every time (unless you're using carbon rims or, getting old-school here, Mavic ceramic coated rims) but from the pic the OP posted neither is the case. The caliper brakes suggest a cheaper bike so I'd say clean the rims and throw on whatever the bike shop gives you for pads.

The pads you have are everywhere. I see them even in my local drug store and department stores for under five bucks.. I would just get the same style. They will work as well as anything else.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Those pads I linked to in OP fit fine, and I got the rims cleaned up with sandpaper. The squeaky noise is gone, but they don't stop any better than the old pads, unfortunately. I guess you can't expect this type of brakes to work as well as disc brakes or even v-brakes.

Keep an eye out at the dump, you could find someone tossing a bike with a V-brake fork and swap it over. Even cheap v-brakes set up well will stop well with two fingers. I almost pulled a bike out of the bin last weekend, it was old but looked new and stored inside, but I didn't really need anything on it.

V brakes are better than caliper brakes and cantilever brakes hands down. You need a way to mount them on the fork and frame. Fork swap is easy.

Back