Supertech Syn 5w30 vs QUSD 5W30

Perhaps/Probably close enough to "as good as" that you will ever notice.

I am not familiar if your engine is one of the ones that eats lifters or not. Seems to me it falls in that year range.

My opinion -- "Not even CLOSE!!!" QSUD is smooth/quiet my whole OCI using it up to 5000 mile intervals on the Subaru or Acura in signature. Super Tech Synthetic just does not have that consistent smoothness -- to me -- after 2000 miles in my opinion -- let alone a full 5000 mile OCI..

According to thousands of Blackstone Lab reports and API, ST is just as good as any other synthetic and will do the job just fine. If your truck takes simple 5w30, ST is fine.

Originally Posted by csandste
I've always put WPP stuff at about the same level as Valvoline. SOPUS product may have a better additive pack on paper but in the real world does not perform any better.

*Have you looked at the specs for Valvoline Advance 5W30 synthetic D1/ Gen 2 SN+ , GF-5 oil ? ... The specs and ad pack are probably better than the non - EP M1 or SOPUS 5W30 !

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
My opinion -- "Not even CLOSE!!!" QSUD is smooth/quiet my whole OCI using it up to 5000 mile intervals on the Subaru or Acura in signature. Super Tech Synthetic just does not have that consistent smoothness -- to me -- after 2000 miles in my opinion -- let alone a full 5000 mile OCI..

Unbelievable..........................

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by BAJA_05

Unbelievable..........................

Yes

What you are going to get is a bunch of opinions and anecdotal evidence.

As much as people try it's hard not to be influenced by it's "Name brand and it cost $0.60 more a quart". We will seldom admit to ourselves that we paid more and didn't get more. If you have any inside knowledge of outside sourced products you will be amazed at how much better a $399.99 Name Brand will be reviewed than a $199.99 Generic (When they are actually the same exact product). This is not to imply STS and QSUD are identical products.

When people go through blind testing the results are often 180 degrees from what it is when they know what product they are dealing with.

It's my opinion you should try both. Most likely you will believe the QSUD was better. If you don't buy which ever one is cheaper. I'm highly sceptical in the end it will make a difference especially at reasonable drain intervals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gene K

As much as people try it's hard not to be influenced by it's "Name brand and it cost $0.60 more a quart". We will seldom admit to ourselves that we paid more and didn't get more. If you have any inside knowledge of outside sourced products you will be amazed at how much better a $399.99 Name Brand will be reviewed than a $199.99 Generic (When they are actually the same exact product). This is not to imply STS and QSUD are identical products.

When people go through blind testing the results are often 180 degrees from what it is when they know what product they are dealing with.

It's my opinion you should try both. Most likely you will believe the QSUD was better. If you don't buy which ever one is cheaper. I'm highly sceptical in the end it will make a difference especially at reasonable drain intervals.

It's called Sunk Cost Fallacy.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I would continue buying the Quaker State, although it costs more than Supertech.

Just because it costs more... and for no other reason??

Originally Posted by rob1715
Originally Posted by Gene K

As much as people try it's hard not to be influenced by it's "Name brand and it cost $0.60 more a quart". We will seldom admit to ourselves that we paid more and didn't get more.

It's called Sunk Cost Fallacy.

Reminds me of a convo on here a couple years ago....

That guy was BENT on trying to convince all of us that spending another $5.00 more per jug of oil was worth it....
BECAUSE
"it costs more money, so.................................... it MUST be better!!!!"

I'm sorry Linctex.
My reason is history of the brands and how they differentiate.
I don't buy brands whose front label name originated at a high level, white-collar meeting where all the 'Sharp Suits" know more about clothes, jewelry, linens, shoes, food and brooms - than they do oil.

Originally Posted by Urshurak776
For 99.999999% of people, either will work just fine. My favorite is the guy who "feels" the difference.........sigh.

In the wallet?

For 99.999999% of people, either will work just fine. My favorite is the guy who "feels" the difference.........sigh.
Yes, and claims his favorite is quieter and smoother-running, or some such subjective silliness.

Originally Posted by CR94
Yes, and claims his favorite is quieter and smoother-running, or some such subjective silliness.

You mean people who are not complete numpties and are In tune with their vehicles, i have recreational raced and ridden owned motorbikes, cars, seadoos and so on......I know and can feel the slightest changes weather something is off, or performing better or worse. Not only that but when I use specific oils, additives and fuel, I guess it's just a coincidence that mpg's will rise on every vehicle, even if it's via on board cpu. Now let's here the comments that say that the cpu is not accurate and blah blah blah.

Originally Posted by domer10
Originally Posted by CR94

You mean people who are not complete numpties and are In tune with their vehicles, i have recreational raced and ridden owned motorbikes, cars, seadoos and so on......I know and can feel the slightest changes weather something is off, or performing better or worse. Not only that but when I use specific oils, additives and fuel, I guess it's just a coincidence that mpg's will rise on every vehicle, even if it's via on board cpu. Now let's here the comments that say that the cpu is not accurate and blah blah blah.

Yup, we've seen times drop (tenths of seconds)for example while drag racing just switching to a different oil but the haters will hate,nothing will change that.
wink.gif

Back