Why Use Hyundai OEM Oil Filters ?

... When you can use Fram Ultra Oil Filters ? I never have any start up noise in any Hyundai / Kia vehicle I own and the filtration is far better with the Fram Ultra .
The only comparison I am not sure of is the flow rate comparison between say a Hyundai OEM oil canister filter and a Fram Ultra #9688 ?
I run 4K mile OCI's and use a Fram Ultra for 2 or 3 OCI's and it still looks like it could easily go further .

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
The only comparison I am not sure of is the flow rate comparison between say a Hyundai OEM oil canister filter and a Fram Ultra #9688 ?

The Ultra flows well because of synthetic media, and probably better than the OEM filter flows.

"Flows better" really means less delta-p when talking about engine oiling systems with a PD oil pump.

What I have found with Hyundai is that while they promote the heck out of their big factory warranty they are particularly difficult to deal with when it comes to getting warranty claims fulfilled as more time and miles add up. You get a great warranty on paper but the administrator has a prerogative to deny claims under whatever pretense they can conjure up.

So anyway since Hyundai started using GDI engines the biggest sticking point tangent they have been on relates to oil filter usage. Their GDI engines have a particular sensitivity to what oil filter is used with the OEM oil filter being the one least likely to cause issues, both on the engine and with the fulfillment of warranty claims. The first thing checked with any engine issue, to include the notoriously common engine ticking, is the oil and oil filter with a change of both being the most common solution.

I have had nothing but good results using a Fram Ultra on my Hyundai GDI engine and am currently using a Fram Titanium on it with another one as backup. As I noted in my recent thread on the subject, as soon as the engine developed a tick I changed the oil and filter and the problem went away. The engine and oil filter were dirty as any I had ever seen most likely due to poor maintenance from the previous caretaker.

Get ready folks. I have learned from a Hyundai certified master tech that new warranty guidelines are coming. Hyundai will offer free oil changes for the entire new car warranty period. They are doing this in order to reduce replacement of blown engines.

I use mostly OEM filters on my Hyundai. The few times I didn't use one, I used a Fram Ultra. Once I'm out of warranty, I may switch to Fram Ultras permanently, but I can get OEM filters for so cheap that it makes it hard to move away from. I bought 6 off of eBay last time I stocked up and spent just under $20. Hard to beat that. The only thing you have to be worried about is making sure you get genuine filters, which is a hassle. Open up a box and look into the filter- you should see the Hyundai logo on the bottom. If you see that, it's a genuine filter.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
What I have found with Hyundai is that while they promote the heck out of their big factory warranty they are particularly difficult to deal with when it comes to getting warranty claims fulfilled as more time and miles add up. You get a great warranty on paper but the administrator has a prerogative to deny claims under whatever pretense they can conjure up.

I'm currently on my third Hyundai, all bought new. I've had very few minor warranty claims across all three vehicles--all claims were cheerfully handled by the dealer, with no questions asked. Other Hyundai owners I know have had the same good warranty experiences that I've had. I see the above claim made about Hyundai being hard-wired to deny warranty work all the time on forums, but it does NOT reflect my real-life experience. FYI.

Originally Posted by Robster
I'm currently on my third Hyundai, all bought new. I've had very few minor warranty claims across all three vehicles--all claims were cheerfully handled by the dealer, with no questions asked. Other Hyundai owners I know have had the same good warranty experiences that I've had. I see the above claim made about Hyundai being hard-wired to deny warranty work all the time on forums, but it does NOT reflect my real-life experience. FYI.

I will add that I've never had an issue with getting warranty work done. I have had, however, unpleasant experiences at a few of their dealerships. It just seems to be my luck, but I have a hard time finding a good Hyundai dealer.

I've had no issues with warranty work, either. I did have an issue with a particular service rep, but other than that, Ive had good results from several owned Hyundai's. As for the stick filter, one black stone lab result returned was even a note on how good the filter did it's job. I have no issues using them,.

Spend some time reading Kia forums and you will find some horror stories of folks trying to deal with Corporate and the run-around they get. Big problems with a lot of 2.0 motors, etc. Soon as mine started eating oil, I dumped it.

I have personal experience with bad tech at both a Hundai dealer and a Ford dealer. When the dealer tech screws up, it is on the dealer to fix it. These to cases the dealer never fixed it.

Rod

Originally Posted by tc1446
Spend some time reading Kia forums and you will find some horror stories of folks trying to deal with Corporate and the run-around they get. Big problems with a lot of 2.0 motors, etc. Soon as mine started eating oil, I dumped it.

I that it, still on you vehicle list? Time to delete the Hip-Hop Hamster mobile ....maybe.

I have an Hyundai Santa Fe and a KIA Rio. Both use the same OEM filter. I have used the OEM on both several times. I have also used WIX, Supertech, Champion, BOSCH, etc.

Never had an issue with any of them. 5K OCI. I have since moved the Hyundai out to 7K OCI. I always thought the Hyundai oil filter issue was due to a FRAM filter that is no longer made.

I can vouch that Hyundai is terrible with their warranty coverage. My ‘18 sonata developed a crack in one of the rear door window seals and Hyundai denied coverage for it. I bought the car new, owned it for 5 months at the time and had under 10,000 miles when I tried to get them to replace it. Nope! This was my first and last Hyundai for sure.

Originally Posted by MParr
Get ready folks. I have learned from a Hyundai certified master tech that new warranty guidelines are coming. Hyundai will offer free oil changes for the entire new car warranty period. They are doing this in order to reduce replacement of blown engines.

This is very interesting. Aside from trying to reduce engine replacements, it is a great way to get people in to the dealer service departments for upselling of air filters, wipers, alignments, tire balancing, coolant flushes, etc. It is a win-win for the dealer and Hyundai.

As a former Hyundai owner, "America's Best Warranty" isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

How does an 18 year-old oil changer at the dealer, just hired and a greenhorn at changing oils, reduce the chances of engine problems - versus myself changing the oil in my backyard - using an almost identical flow & trapping rate aftermarket oil filter - my oil being full synthetic and earlier, lesser miles OCIs, transfer into engine problems - transfers into reduced chance of a breakdown?

Those S. Korean automakers are trying to cover-up their tracks of poor engine designs. All the S. Korean engine scientists need to work with Ford engine designers, where very little problems exist with Ford TGDI (Ecoboost) engines.

Learn how to build four bangers Korea!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

How does an 18 year-old oil changer at the dealer, just hired and a greenhorn at changing oils, reduce the chances of engine problems - versus myself changing the oil in my backyard - using an almost identical flow & trapping rate aftermarket oil filter - my oil being full synthetic and earlier, lesser miles OCIs, transfer into engine problems - transfers into reduced chance of a breakdown?

Those S. Korean automakers are trying to cover-up their tracks of poor engine designs. All the S. Korean engine scientists need to work with Ford engine designers, where very little problems exist with Ford TGDI (Ecoboost) engines.

Because most people don't change their oil themselves, and a disturbingly large amount of Hyun/Kia owners don't change their oil at all. And before you say "well if they don't change their oil then Hyun/Kia won't warranty repairs", there's way too many documented instances on Hyundai/Kia forums, as well as others, of people with neglected engines getting warranty replacements. I'm sure that, if this is actually going to happen, that they've determined that it's better financially to offer free oil changes with the opportunity for dealerships to upsell other work, rather than let owners do their own thing and get inundated with warranty requests.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Hyundai isn't making this change because of people like you.

They are making this change for the 90% of owners that take it to the jiffy lube whenever they remember and can scrape together an extra $20.

Hyundai and Kia designed engines with fundamental flaws that made them temperamental under the best of conditions.

Until they can truly fix the design and manufacturing issues, they will have problems.

Didn't they also recommend 5w-40 to help compensate? You think jiffy lube is doing that? LOL. They are putting In whatever 5w30 conventional or bulk tank 0w20 they have on hand, along with a jobber filter that's only consideration for fit is "it screws on."

Back