2016 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L supertech

Originally Posted by SteveG4
Sounds like a great motor that will last and last.

Concerning the 2.7L and the manual transmission:

Is the Taco's 2.7L 4-cyl terribly underpowered, or does it hold its own?

Can you adequately merge onto and pass highway traffic between 65 and 75 mph?

Really want to know. Thanks!

Not OP, but I've driven a couple 2.7L Tacos for work (both of which were fleet trucks with automatics). I can't imagine a retail customer willingly choosing it unless they HAD to have the better mileage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by carguy1701

Not OP, but I've driven a couple 2.7L Tacos for work (both of which were fleet trucks with automatics). I can't imagine a retail customer willingly choosing it unless they HAD to have the better mileage.

I had a ‘96 Tacoma with the 2.7 and automatic. It was definitely not a speed burner but it could haul whatever I loaded in it. It did its duty.

Never drove one in a Taco, but I have driven a Hicace high roof camper with it and a 6spd auto and it was pretty decent really. Half throttle was keeping it ahead of traffic at the lights with the auto keeping the revs up a bit and just grabbing gears. It would do 70mph quite happily but we weren't passing anyone at those speeds due to the high roof catching any sort of side wind. I guess the 2.7 will be "slow" compared to the V8 pickups but unless you live in the mountains its satisfactory.

The 4.0 L is lauded as supremely reliable, and can at least get out of its own way. The 750F Auto 5-speed is also much, much better.

I couldn't imagine choosing the 2.7 if you had the v6/5-speed available.

My father has a 2009 Toyota Tacoma with the Auto, 2.7L 4-cyl, and RWD. When I simply think numbers I can't understand why my father loves that little truck so much. 155hp?! C'mon Toyota... BUT then if I drive it for a day - I find myself falling in love with it too... I only drive it once in every couple months or so, but every time I fall in love with its honest simplicity. It has plenty of power, and best of all - it does not suddenly lose power if you load it up to full payload capacity. It. Just. Works. Father got it in 2011 at 23k miles. It is 2020 and at 65k miles. Truck is still loved greatly. In fact - dad just spend some good money to repaint the front end and roof since the clear coat started peeling off. So I don't think he'll ever get rid of it.

Basically Tacoma with 2.7L is the truck you gotta drive to understand, as on paper it is far from impressive. But in reality it is great. On longer highway trips it easily gets 28 MPG. 2009 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Access cab.

I have them both and they are both fun to drive. The 2.7 is extremely reliable motor and easy to work on for the maintenance. I have the 3 trucks with 4 cyl, 6 and 8. Each has its specific do's and don'ts. The 2.7 is an all around great truck and motor. My 4.0 actually got better gas mileage when it was stock as opposed to the 2.7. I averaged 22-23 with 4.0 when stock as opposed to 19-20 on the 2,7.

The back patting on this UOA is hysterical. Toyota motor, anemic OCI with API rated oil and people are reacting like we landed on the moon.

I don't recall anyone maligning this oil; all I've seen are good reviews.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
The back patting on this UOA is hysterical. Toyota motor, anemic OCI with API rated oil and people are reacting like we landed on the moon.

I don't recall anyone maligning this oil; all I've seen are good reviews.

lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted by BLND1
The 4.0 L is lauded as supremely reliable, and can at least get out of its own way. The 750F Auto 5-speed is also much, much better.

The 4.0 is almost a boat anchor in itself IMO. While it is adequate, if you live in a mountainous region like myself, be prepared to keep your foot in it at times. The transmission programming is also terrible, I find myself keeping it in 4 most of the times. Still love the truck, but the 4.0 isn't the magical thing everybody makes it out to be...

I had a 92 4 X 4 X cab Toyota truck with the 3.0 and it had much more power than the 84 Toyota 4x4 my wife had with the 22R and in 2006 my beloved 92 Toyota was rear ended so I bought a Toyota Tacoma 4X4 X cab manual trans and the 2.7 and it is a much nicer engine that the 3.0 except right off of idle . I love the engine . Yeah it is low power but it does the job.. I don't know how heavy the new Tacoma is .My son has the Toyota now.

Originally Posted by Delta

The 4.0 is almost a boat anchor in itself IMO. While it is adequate, if you live in a mountainous region like myself, be prepared to keep your foot in it at times. The transmission programming is also terrible, I find myself keeping it in 4 most of the times. Still love the truck, but the 4.0 isn't the magical thing everybody makes it out to be...

I too own and drive a 4.0.

It makes 236hp and 266 lb/ft. Its... ok.

It's still night and day better than the 2.7.

I used to drive a 2000 4cyl. It was fine for around town, but was an absolute liability on the highway (you better be cruising at 75+ out here).

I loved my 2000 tacoma, but the V6 4L in my 2011 is better in every way. If you are in the mountains keep it out of overdrive and everything gets much better behaved.

Last edited:

I loved my 2000 tacoma, but the V6 4L in my 2011 is better in every way. If you are in the mountains keep it out of overdrive and everything gets much better behaved.

I always use Overdrive, on my vacation drives thru Mt. Fuji.

All kidding aside, these trucks are few & far between, here in the Midwest where Rangers, Colorados, S10s, Rams, F150 and Silverados are everywhere.
That Toyota commercIal girl needs to be kicked aside, for more manly Toyota truck advertising on TV.

Wait - on 2nd thought, don't kick that Toyota girl. Just show her the exit door, for she might be pregnant again.

Last edited:
Some people don't need a v6; if someone thinks that is necessary, so be it.

I'd be happy with a toyota I4; my B2300 is sufficient for the things I use it for; never had an issue getting on the highway with a bed full of firewood.

"I can't imagine buying a v6, when I can get the job done with the 4" Choices are good

Oh, and 31mpg in my B2300 on the highway, so it can happily function as an affordable DD

Last edited:

I'd be happy with a toyota I4; my B2300 is sufficient for the things I use it for; never had an issue getting on the highway with a bed full of firewood.

"I can't imagine buying a v6, when I can get the job done with the 4" Choices are good

Oh, and 31mpg in my B2300 on the highway, so it can happily function as an affordable DD

4cyl in first gen Tacoma's and Mazda's/rangers were definitely a great fit - the trucks were considerably smaller than the 2nd gen Tacoma's. The 2.7 is a little undergunned for the mid-size Tacoma they stuck it in.

4cyl in first gen Tacoma's and Mazda's/rangers were definitely a great fit - the trucks were considerably smaller than the 2nd gen Tacoma's. The 2.7 is a little undergunned for the mid-size Tacoma they stuck it in.

Good point. My 96 Tacoma was much smaller than what they build these days.

Originally Posted by Delta

I had an 07 Sport DCSB 4x4 with a 4.0. It had plenty of power and got decent mileage on the highway @ 19-20 mpg. I've gotten as much as 22 mpg a couple times. I towed a lot with it and it had tons of power, it could easily tow way more than it could stop. I am close to sea level at less than 1,000 ft, so I'm sure that makes a difference. I traded it in at 12 years old and a little over 87k miles with absolutely no issues despite being used pretty hard as a daily driver/work truck with a lot of idle time and short trips. For the last 5 or so years of it's time with me it averaged about 10-12 mpg due to the way I was using it. If I took it on a long trip it would still get as good of mileage as it ever did. I know the people that bought it and last I heard, it's still running great. I loved that truck and would buy another 2nd gen Tacoma with the 4.0 in a heartbeat. I like the 2007-2011 2nd gens the best, those were the best years in my opinion.

I think some people are addicted to "That's not the way I would do it so it's not right".

It's not 10,000 mi like Toyota 0W-20.
Well it isn't Toyota 0W-20.

Oil Life Monitor / Timer goes off at 5,000 mi so ignore it. What happened to follow the OLM?

The short change is causing excessive wear.
I see that. Looks catastrophic based on that UOA.

Off-Road Use with oversized tires and 4.88 gears may not have been considered part of the 10,000 mi Toyota recommended OCI.

Except for the TBN the oil is within VOA parameters. I don't know what else you guys can ask for. Does the oil have another 3,000 and possibly 5,000 in it? Most likely. Another alternative would be to use conventional SuperTech for 5,000 mi changes but really with a $2.00 per 5 qt difference in price is it really a huge deal?

If I had posted the exact same results with a 3.5 Ecoboost I doubt a single person would have said run it 10,000 mi like Ford recommends and ignore the OLM if it goes off earlier.

Last edited:
I can chime in here...ive got a heavily modded 4runner TRD with the 4.0, a Taco with the 3.5 and a heavily modded Taco with the 2.7. The 3.5 is a work vehicle.

My Taco is lifted and on 33s with a bunch of other mods and has 4.30s. Its not only my daily driver, its my off road toy and it gets used hard up here. The reason many people (myself included) go with the 2.7 is because its probably the most durable gasoline engine ever put into a vehicle. No joke. My previous one went 600,000 miles and had compression still in spec for a new engine when i sold it. My truck with load range e 33s is not underpowered at all. Its not a speed demon but plenty of power to pass merge etc. Got a speeding ticked this winter matter of fact. I LOVE IT. It does spin fast though. With my tires on the interstate at 75mph its turning about 3100 RPMs in 4th gear. It rarely goes into 5th and 6th is useless. The high RPMs would bother many people...i don't care and the engine doesn't seem to mind either. My last UOA with M1 0w40 and a 10k run had a TBN over 8 still and wear metals were pretty low.

The other reason of course is that the 3.5 is a problematic engine. They have had many issues and are very complex. They are also very slow. Having owned both I can honestly say if your going to buy a slow truck...why wouldn't you get the durable engine? The v6 makes its power and torque at unusable RPMs...i have NOTHING good to say about this engine. Nothing at all.

As far as the 4.0 goes...my 4Runner is modded. Lifted and on 33s and the 4.0 is perfect in every aspect. Plenty of power...fun to drive. Old technology and reliable as the sunrise. It tows well also.

Toyota makes great 4x4s

Last edited:
Back