2002 Ranger Electrical Weirdness (GEM, RAP?)

So 2002 Ranger:

Outward problems exhibited are:

• Intermittantly locks itself (infrequent).
  • Power mirrors do not work.
  • SRS light comes on intermittantly (there is a TSB on strain relief for wiring under seat).

Running a self test on the GEM and "personality" module yields:

== Log ===
(OK) [13:16:23.504] On Demand Self-Test has been started
(WARN) [13:16:30.394] Test completed, found DTCs: B1562, B1522, B1338, B1334, B1322
(OK) [13:18:01.556] On Demand Self-Test has been started
(OK) [13:18:05.074] Test completed successfully, no errors found
(OK) [13:18:27.878] On Demand Self-Test has been started
(OK) [13:18:31.407] Test completed successfully, no errors found
(OK) [13:18:56.244] On Demand Self-Test has been started
(OK) [13:18:59.783] Test completed successfully, no errors found
===

And

=== Log ===
(OK) [13:16:23.504] On Demand Self-Test has been started
(WARN) [13:16:30.394] Test completed, found DTCs: B1562, B1522, B1338, B1334, B1322
(OK) [13:18:01.556] On Demand Self-Test has been started
(OK) [13:18:05.074] Test completed successfully, no errors found
(OK) [13:18:27.878] On Demand Self-Test has been started
(OK) [13:18:31.407] Test completed successfully, no errors found
(OK) [13:18:56.244] On Demand Self-Test has been started
(OK) [13:18:59.783] Test completed successfully, no errors found
(OK) [13:20:04.541] On Demand Self-Test has been started
(WARN) [13:20:11.441] Test completed, found DTCs: B1562, B1522, B1338, B1334, B1322
===
=== DTC ===
B1562 - Door Lock Cylinder circuit short to ground

Diagnostic Trouble Code details

Door Lock Cylinder circuit short to ground

--- Possible Causes --------

-Short to GND between RAP (Door Cylinder) & Left Anti-Theft Disarm Switch RAP (Door Cylinder) & Right Anti-Theft Disarm Switch

-Suspect
Left Anti-Theft Disarm Switch Right Anti-Theft Disarm Switch Remote Anti-Theft Personality Module (RAP)

B1522 - Hood switch circuit failure

Hood switch circuit failure

B1338 - Door Ajar Right Rear circuit short to ground

Door Ajar Right Rear circuit short to ground

This DTC can be generated by:

-Open in Sliding Door Ajar Switch circuit
- Damaged or worn Sliding Door Ajar Switch
- Suspect Generic Electronic Module.

B1334 - Rear Luggage Comparment Lid Ajar Circuit Failure

Rear Luggage Comparment Lid Ajar Circuit Failure

B1322 - Left Front Door Ajar Switch circuit short to ground

Left Front Door Ajar Switch circuit short to ground

Ground Short LF Door Ajar Switch

-Suspect Generic Electronic Module

-Suspect LF Door Ajar Switch

===

Interesting when you self test the "personality module" the drivers window goes down about 2 inches, stops and the test fails, if you DO NOT power it back up, it will go down about 2 more inches and pass the next time. It you power it up then run the self test again it fails.

There is documentation online about the lock issue being fixed by cleaning connection is the smart junction box in the right kick panel, my truck does not appear to have the SJB.

I can't determine definitively that the mirrors run through the GEM.

My repair information does not have any test for to narrow this down.

I know the GEM is a common issue.

Any experience / ideas?

There is definitely a problem with that GEM. This doesn't explain your intermittent SRS light but that can be easily explained by the plugs under the seats. Try to catch the code next time it comes up.

First thing, I'd advise checking grounds in the cab/behind the dash. If memory serves me, I think you will find the main one under the passenger side kick panel. I've seen loose connections here cause all sorts of problems with the GEM.

I assume your truck has keyless entry and not just power locks? In 2002, I believe the RAP goes through the GEM. This configuration changed several times in the late ‘90s and early ‘00s, went from a standalone RAP to an integrated function in the GEM and then to two separate modules which were directly connected. If 2002 does in fact have a separate RAP module running through the GEM, then a failing GEM would explain everything.

I'm almost positive the mirrors run through the GEM. I will check in the morning to be sure and update.

I'd bet heavily that a replacement GEM corrects these issues.

If I am reading the scan report correctly it looks like the GEM and RAP have different part numbers:

Adapter: OBDLink MXWiFir2.3 STN1152 v4.1.0 (ELM327 v1.3a)
Min.delay: 11 ms (Good)
Errors:
- CAN ERROR: 3 ( 5.9% )

Model: Ford Ranger/Courier/Mazda B-Series
Engine: Other
Capacity: 3.0L
Year: 2002
Generation: 2002 MY
Fuel type: Gasoline
Transmission gear: Automatic
VIN:

OBDII - On Board Diagnostic II
Bus: PWM

PCM - Powertrain Control Module
Bus: PWM
Part number: 2L5ABD
Strategy : PYAEC34
Hardware type: MP2-111
Copyright Ford Motor Co. 2001

RCM - Restraint Control Module
Bus: ISO
Part number: 1L5AAD
Software version: v1

GEM - Generic Electronic Module
Part number: 1L5T-14B205-AF
Software version: 2001-03-01

RAP - Remote Anti-Theft / Personality Module
Part number: 1L2T-15K602-CF
Software version: 2001-02-01

ABS - Antilock braking system
Part number: 1L5T-2C219-CC
Software version: 1900-05-23

SO:

GEM replaced, it now passes the self test on the GEM.

The RAP still fails.

Mirrors still inoperative... (the switch is common issue too...)

Guess it is time to start digging in the wiring...

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
SO:

The RAP still fails.

Does it give a reason why the RAP fails? Sometimes it will list specific errors and/or codes in the log. Cleaning the connection on the module may help, I'm not exactly sure where it's located, there seems to be a LOT of variance in where it is in the ‘98-‘03 trucks. My ‘02 XLT is behind the passenger airbag but most of them are under the trim behind the driver's seat and others are under the passenger kick panel.

I've seen small water leaks from the rear window or under the dash cause issues with RAP modules and trucks unlocking/alarm going off randomly. It can be a leak small enough to never show up in the floor but hit the module just right to do damage.

As for the mirrors, yes, the switches fail all the time. I'd probably test the switch and go from there. If the switch tests good, I'd start testing for power at the mirror connection in the doors and work from there.

Originally Posted by getawheel
SO:

The RAP still fails.

Does it give a reason why the RAP fails? Sometimes it will list specific errors and/or codes in the log. Cleaning the connection on the module may help, I'm not exactly sure where it's located, there seems to be a LOT of variance in where it is in the ‘98-‘03 trucks. My ‘02 XLT is behind the passenger airbag but most of them are under the trim behind the driver's seat and others are under the passenger kick panel.

I've seen small water leaks from the rear window or under the dash cause issues with RAP modules and trucks unlocking/alarm going off randomly. It can be a leak small enough to never show up in the floor but hit the module just right to do damage.

As for the mirrors, yes, the switches fail all the time. I'd probably test the switch and go from there. If the switch tests good, I'd start testing for power at the mirror connection in the doors and work from there.

=== Log ===
(OK) [14:34:09.869] On Demand Self-Test has been started
(WARN) [14:34:16.854] Test completed, found DTCs: B1562, B1522, B1338, B1334, B1322
===
=== DTC ===
B1562 - Door Lock Cylinder circuit short to ground

Door Lock Cylinder circuit short to ground

-Short to GND between RAP (Door Cylinder) & Left Anti-Theft Disarm Switch RAP (Door Cylinder) & Right Anti-Theft Disarm Switch

-Suspect
Left Anti-Theft Disarm Switch Right Anti-Theft Disarm Switch Remote Anti-Theft Personality Module (RAP)

B1522 - Hood switch circuit failure

Hood switch circuit failure

B1338 - Door Ajar Right Rear circuit short to ground

Door Ajar Right Rear circuit short to ground

-Open in Sliding Door Ajar Switch circuit
- Damaged or worn Sliding Door Ajar Switch
- Suspect Generic Electronic Module.

B1334 - Rear Luggage Comparment Lid Ajar Circuit Failure

Rear Luggage Comparment Lid Ajar Circuit Failure

B1322 - Left Front Door Ajar Switch circuit short to ground

Left Front Door Ajar Switch circuit short to ground

Ground Short LF Door Ajar Switch

-Suspect Generic Electronic Module

-Suspect LF Door Ajar Switch

===

Couple of odd things:

1) Checking for DTCs both before and after self test results in finding no DTCs in the GEM or RAP (has a not ready code in PCM due to battery disconnect).
2) It is a truck so there isn't a luggage lid ajar switch to be shorted to ground.

As yet i have not located the RAP. it is not behind either kick panel (there are 3 grounds, 2 on the right and one on the left i will clean and perhaps put star washers on) It does not appear to be behind the glove box or passenger air bag (i can see the PCM case) Strike that, you said behind air bag, I think it may be up there. My truck is a 4 door, I guess the rear cab wall is the only other real choice, i do not see it behind the jack or jump seats, but have not torn it apart. yet. (I'm looking for a white plastic box right?)

I was able to pull the as built profile form Motorcraft and they appear to match the current profiles at least with respect to the GEM and RAP which are the only 2 I checked.

I'll have some speakers and a mirror switch on hand before I start tearing doors apart.

Last edited:

Couple of odd things:

1) Checking for DTCs both before and after self test results in finding no DTCs in the GEM or RAP (has a not ready code in PCM due to battery disconnect).
2) It is a truck so there isn't a luggage lid ajar switch to be shorted to ground.

As yet i have not located the RAP. it is not behind either kick panel (there are 3 grounds, 2 on the right and one on the left i will clean and perhaps put star washers on) It does not appear to be behind the glove box or passenger air bag (i can see the PCM case) Strike that, you said behind air bag, I think it may be up there. My truck is a 4 door, I guess the rear cab wall is the only other real choice, i do not see it behind the jack or jump seats, but have not torn it apart. yet. (I'm looking for a white plastic box right?)

I was able to pull the as built profile form Motorcraft and they appear to match the current profiles at least with respect to the GEM and RAP which are the only 2 I checked.

I'll have some speakers and a mirror switch on hand before I start tearing doors apart.

As for your "odd things,"
1. There can be issues that there simply isn't a code for, or the self-test doesn't uncover.
2. I noticed that in one of your earlier posts, thought it was odd. That's almost certainly due to an internal issue with the RAP. Initially I thought it had been a problem with the GEM but you've replaced that so it's ruled out. For alarm/keyless/auto-lock purposes, the RAP knows when a door is ajar, but supposedly it has no metric for determining exactly which door except for what the GEM tells it.

Yes, you're looking for a white plastic box. As 01rangerxl mentioned, under the floor-mounted cup holders is a good place to check, depending on configuration. The RCM is definitely down there, don't confuse them. RCM is metal, has two plugs on it. That's the easiest place to look, to remove it you want to take the liners out of cup holders and turn the little clips at the bottom with a coin or something and it pops right out.

As far as being a pain to get to, depending on how scared of airbags you are, the behind the passenger airbag and behind the jump seats/rear trim are about the same trouble. I'd probably check the back wall first, unless you have some experience with the SRS. I do, so it's not a big deal to me, I think it's only two bolts above the glove box and the airbag comes right out.

Appreciate the help guys.

Probably going to be a bit before I get to this...

Had the drivers air bag out Sunday (cruise switches) so that is no worry.

Behind air bag, has service number that appears to cross to the above...

Cleaning connector and grounds in passenger and driver kicks had no effect...

No sign of water in the RAP, no corrosion on connectors...

May throw one at it and see it it helps... seems unlikely all the door switches are bad, particularly when everything appears to be functioning correctly (door ajar light when door is actually ajar, but not when it isn't and so forth)

Alarm module (AKA RAP) replaced, now passes all self test.

Hopefully this cures the random lock...

Mirror switch cured the mirrors (took the old one apart to se if i could fix it for a spare.... wow - that is needlessly complicated)

Alarm module (AKA RAP) replaced, now passes all self test.

Hopefully this cures the random lock...

Mirror switch cured the mirrors (took the old one apart to se if i could fix it for a spare.... wow - that is needlessly complicated)
Glad it all seemed to work for you. Hopefully that’s the last trouble it gives you.

Back