Cub Cadet PTO headaches,,

So a few weeks ago with the PTO pulled out my blades disengaged. after fiddling with it, and installing a new battery I could not detect the source so off to the shop it went. a few weeks later the shop declared victory and said come get it. Of course I tested it and with 2 minutes I was able to replicate the problem 3 times. The mechanic and I both started looking it over more, with the use of a test meter and determined the PTO switch was good and the system had good power going clear up to the clutch. The mechanic determined my clutch was going out (350 hours on machine) So a new clutch was ordered.. so here's the Problem, you can start the mower, pull the PTO out the blades come right on, however, not every time but periodically when you let OFF of the gas the blades shut off, if you let off then get back on the gas quickly it will continue to operate. if you don't get back on the gas quickly the blades stop, you now have to push the PTO back in, then pull the lever out and the blades restart instantly.. this is not how this machine should be behaving. I think its a 2011 year, however its the 1040 mower. wide open for opinions !

Disable all blade safeties except for the seat. Especially the blades off in reverse switch.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Disable all blade safeties except for the seat. Especially the blades off in reverse switch.

Why except for the seat?

Disable them ALL (being extra careful not to cut any body parts or appendages off), and see if the problem still exists. If the problem has gone away, then reconnect one at a time, and test in between.

Agreed.

I don't have small kids or pets around, so even the seat safety switch is bypassed in mine.

Why is the reverse/blade not a key position … Is on my Sears Craftsman …

In order to disable the safety switches, you might have to look at a wiring diagram. Some of them you can't just unplug the connector and be able to bypass them. There are a few different styles of safety switch circuits.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Why is the reverse/blade not a key position … Is on my Sears Craftsman …

Depends on the brand of mower. I've only seen that on a Craftsman or Husqvarna machine (many Craftsmans are made by Husqvarna). Other brands like John Deere have a button you have to push or hold down when mowing in reverse. I think many manufacturers don't use the key position for mowing in reverse because technically you could just always run the mower in that position and it would be like the safety didn't exist at all.

Yeah … it's made by Husky … but the default is safety feature on.
You have to consciously select reverse option.
I don't have children at home … so I do use it.

By "let off the gas" you must mean the hydrostatic drive. There is a switch to stop the blades if you push the transmission pedal into reverse with the PTO switch on. It should not trip at the neutral position, only reverse.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04

Why except for the seat?

because you don't need to be off the seat when mowing!

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
In order to disable the safety switches, you might have to look at a wiring diagram. Some of them you can't just unplug the connector and be able to bypass them. There are a few different styles of safety switch circuits.

Yep. I've found most 'fail' in the disable position by design, meaning if you unplug the switch or a wire breaks, what ever the shutdown is will be activated. Solution for testing purposes is to put a jumper in the connector. Like said though, verify this with a wiring diagram first.

A seat switch is one I will only disable for troubleshooting purposes.

Last edited:
On my older Cub Cadet 2130, there is (was) a mechanical lever on the reverse pedal (directly beneath the forward/reverse pedals) that presses a button to disengage the blades. It was very simple to remove that extra linkage so the 'disengage blades' button would not be pressed. By the sound of your issue, I'd guess this is out of adjustment on yours and when it neutral, the mower thinks it is in reverse.

I was able to also just disconnect the seat sensor and now the blades will only shut off if the PTO lever is pushed back in or the engine shuts off.

Back