Who is a reputable instrument cluster re-manufacturer?

wtd

Three of the six gauges in the instrument cluster on my 98 K3500 don't seem to work correctly.

The speedometer reads 5 mph higher than my GPS reads. My oil pressure gauge bounces all over the place even after replacing the sender, and my volt gauge reads quite a bit under the 14 volt mark on the gauge when the multimeter always shows normal voltage over 14 volts. Thanks.

Ive worked at a couple dealerships and have used United Radio for reman radios and clusters.
Cant ever remember having an issue in 17 years!

About Us
The Speedo Shop in Santee, California, is a speedometer and instrumentation repair shop that commands nearly three decades of knowledge and experience. In working on all makes and models of cars, trucks, motorcycles, and motor homes, as well as industrial and marine applications.

In business since 1999, if it has a gauge on it, we can fix it. In fact, we can recalibrate or repair almost any gauge you bring us, as well as install factory or aftermarket gauges in your vehicle. We also have an in-house dynamometer for the most accurate recalibration service possible.

https://www.sandiegothespeedoshop.com/

Total wild guess is that the gauge grounds are iffy. Revived a few VDO gauges simply by cleaning ground connections
grin2.gif

getting the pixel's fixed on my 2001 Audi TT would be nice BUT the car must set until the cluster is hopefully returned!! newer vehicles have clusters "married" to their ecu. repairs on older stuff like my 64 vette is easier + i delivered it in person only 60 miles to reading speedometer in pa years ago.

I had success with O'Reillys.. I dropped it off.. gave them the VIN and mileage got it back in a few days.

Originally Posted by andyd
Total wild guess is that the gauge grounds are iffy. Revived a few VDO gauges simply by cleaning ground connections
grin2.gif

I would think that if I had a ground problem, my tach, gas gauge and temp gauge would also be reading weird. They seem to be working correctly.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I had success with O'Reillys.. I dropped it off.. gave them the VIN and mileage got it back in a few days.

I checked on O'reilly's website and they only sell re-man clusters from Dorman. No bring in and repair. I hear differing opinions on Dorman products so I don't know how good they are. They do have a lifetime warranty.

I'm not set on keeping my original cluster so a re-man is an option but I don't know if the places people have recommended also sell re-mans and who sells reliable re-mans.

Originally Posted by wtd
Originally Posted by krismoriah72

I checked on O'reilly's website and they only sell re-man clusters from Dorman. No bring in and repair. I hear differing opinions on Dorman products so I don't know how good they are. They do have a lifetime warranty.

I'm not set on keeping my original cluster so a re-man is an option but I don't know if the places people have recommended also sell re-mans and who sells reliable re-mans.

The vehicle i had it done on was my 2003 Suburban..which isnt my daily driver... i had forgotten why i ended up at Oreillys..

There were many places i could have sent it to, gotten different color bulbs, different color faces, and also added a trans temp... there were also variables of getting all new this or different that... so i just figured why not trade it for one with all new parts. Plus i liked the fact that i could just drop off the cluster at my local store and have it fixed for free if anything went wrong.. im sure it cost a few bucks more than just fixing what was wrong with my old one.. But i didnt want the hassle of shipping mine to somewhere and dealing with a 3rd party..

If memory serves i think advance and NAPA and possibly others also have the same service.. i chose Oreillys because i know the manager.. and i got a text when it was done.. all in all it was a very easy experience.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Now to decide what to do.

As a side note, I've been having a heck of a time trying to access this site. Most days I can't because I get some security page saying something that the TSL or something like that is outdated and is not safe. I googled the message that I would get and I checked my internet security settings like it suggested but all of the boxes were checked that the info said should be so I don't know what to do. I just got lucky today and it let me in.

Back