2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 GDI

found a cherry 2012 sonata for my daughter ,, price was right from a reputable dealer ( I have known the GM for 25 years and bought from him in the past)
64 K miles
fresh set of brakes and a battery and starter

any thoughts.... I know about the crank shaft issue with the engine replacements recall ,, VIN shows it still is viable and all I have to is run buy the local Hyundai dealer for the inspection,,,and it is covered up to 105 k miles all other TSB's and recalls complete

I had 147k on my 2011 when I traded it in. It was a pretty good car, except for oil consumption and the numerous recalls and TSBs. I was adding a quart every 1000 miles the last few years. 2012 might be better. Except for some wear on the driver seat, the interior still looked great. I never had issues with the crankshaft/metal shavings.

Make sure to change the trans fluid. I usually do the first around 50-60k then 2nd at 100k service unless it has shifting issues.

Other than that they are good cars if taken care of. And if you have the engine issue its warranted for 10year/120k now I believe.

I've had good luck with four Kias and a Hyundai, plus so have family members--not that it proves anything. Actually think this generation of Sonata looked a lot better when the next one came out. A Camry of like quality and mileage would sell for a whole lot more.

Make sure to change the trans fluid

Make it a contingency for the sale.

My yaris I bought used (at a subaru dealer) and had them change the MT fluid and coolant; I, of course, supplied the fluids....

Last edited:
4 cylinder and no turbo is what I hope we are talking about, if you think the price is alright and are aware of the potential failures especially the crankshaft bearings, trust your instinct but do be proactive about frequent oil changes. And check the oil often.

I had a 2011 Sonata with the 2.4GDi. Traded it after 5yrs and 72,000 miles. Was using a qt of oil every 800 miles. Lots of interior rattles and poor assembly quality overall (misfitting panels, stripped fastener/screws where you don't find out until you go to replace a part, etc.) Couple of electrical glitches Hyundai refused to even look at under warranty. Also had several recalls, some minor but a couple of major ones. Luckily I traded before the engine recall.

My experience was less than stellar so I would walk away from an 8yr old Hyundai (or any Hyundai for that matter), but that's just me.

Along with fresh brakes all 4 corners,,, new battery and starter,fresh oil changei can do the tranny.they are easy I just did my son's elsntra

Along with fresh brakes all 4 corners,,, new battery and starter,fresh oil changei can do the tranny.they are easy I just did my son's elantra

Originally Posted by Nitronoise
We got it for 9000 I know the GM of the dealership
I hate to be a party pooper and rain on someone's parade, but I paid $9,990 (asking price) for my 15' Sonata 3 years ago with 52k miles.

It was a wonderful car, only problem was a CV boot that started to tear. Traded in last winter at 107k miles.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by Nitronoise
We got it for 9000 I know the GM of the dealership
I hate to be a party pooper and rain on someone's parade, but I paid $9,990 (asking price) for my 15' Sonata 3 years ago with 52k miles.

It was a wonderful car, only problem was a CV boot that started to tear. Traded in last winter at 107k miles.

A friend of mine scored a hail damage salvage title 2015 sonata at a screaming deal and drives the everloving **** out of that thing. Put almost 40k (now to about 75k total) of the hardest miles I've seen on that thing and it is ticking like a clock. Only thing he had happen so far was a rock get into a heat shield on the exhaust causing a rattle. Overall I really like the interior and ride but have no experience with how it drives.

Back