Gasket dressing

What is there to use as gasket dressing to use on old stuff with beat up mating surfaces? I don't want to use something hardening like schelac. I see permatex makes a gasket dressing that might fit the bill. Looking to use it on my Massey carb I am working so so it doesn't get slobbery like they always seam to.

Permatex Aviation Form A Gasket Liquid Sealant #3. I have been using it for years, it was recommended to me by an outboard mechanic. Never let me down.

[Linked Image]

Here is the surface I am dealing with.

Thanks for the options.

You don't want silicone around fuel, so use Hylomar....it's non setting and fuel won't cause it to swell.

Tape a large piece of sandpaper to a piece of glass, slide that back and forth in 2 directions. 200 then 400 grit.

Originally Posted by Silk
You don't want silicone around fuel, so use Hylomar....it's non setting and fuel won't cause it to swell.

Permatex and Hylomar are brand names and each have a full range of products. Permatex is American and Hylomar is European based. Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket is resistant to gasoline.

Last edited:
Yes, Hylomar is a brand name now, and they seem to make many products, including silicone sealants. But the original Hylomar PL32 was made specifically for Rolls Royce for their application...and back in the '60's and '70's very difficult to get hold of. At the start of my apprenticeship in the early '70's a co worker had worked for Fodens previously, and as Foden used Rolls Royce engines, they used Hylomar on them. He was able to go to his old workshop to get some. We used it on alloy to alloy joints, like split gearbox cases, motorcycle crankcases etc. So I've been using Hylomar PL32 longer than most mechanics.

Originally Posted by ammolab
This seems to be made for the job...

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-854...amp;refRID=KSQWCMFTSDFGC5W18QFV&th=1

I've used it, and that was going to be my suggestion, if the OP doesn't want to order and wait for the actual Hylomar product. The Permatex product is readily available at the AutoZone, Advance, etc.

I believe Permatex used to make the blue Hylomar under license, but the 85420 is their own equivalent formula.

Yeah you definitely want to make sure that surface is as flat as possible before mounting. Most of the gasket sealers are used sparingly, be sure to get an even coating but too much is not a good thing. And of course evenly applied torque is the final step in good sealing. Let us know how it goes.

Back