Ordered a Wireless Bluetooth Speaker

I've been using the Charge 3 for almost a week now and I'm pretty impressed with it. Great sound for its size. Speaker technology has progressed quite a bit - this thing sounds better and is louder than many of the "boomboxes" that are much larger, that were popular up until a few years ago when streaming music started taking over.

It's plenty loud, for my tastes, for small-to-medium-sized rooms. I use it primarily in an aircraft hangar and inside the airplanes when I'm working in them. It is not going to fill up the hangar with music, obviously, especially when there are sounds of all kinds of work going on, including rivet guns, drilling, grinding, hammering, etc. But it's plenty for my immediate work area.

It's also great in my apartment. More than loud enough for the bedrooms or kitchen/living room. If you have a home with large rooms you're wanting to fill with sound, you might consider the Xtreme instead; you can also get a good deal on one right now, since the Xtreme 2 is coming out, if it's not already out. A friend here at work has an Xtreme, and it sounds great. Obviously much louder, with much better bass response.

Bluetooth connectivity has been flawless, and range is good.

I work 10-hour shifts, and I can listen to it all day long, as well as recharging my phone one time, from around 20-30% to 100%, without having to plug the Charge 3 in to recharge the unit.

The only thing that can be annoying is the little sounds it makes when you turn it on, and when Bluetooth connects. I've heard that the latest firmware update adds the ability to switch these sounds off, but there are mixed reviews on the sound quality of the unit, post-update, with some people saying they prefer the sound after the update, and some saying the sound is worse. Also, there have been some reports of other issues, such as static and Bluetooth connectivity issues after updating. So, since I'm happy with the sound, and the little jingle sounds don't bother me that much, I'm going to leave it alone for now.

Overall I'm glad I bought it. I think it's a pretty good deal if you can get it for the $120 I paid, or less. I've seen some refurbished units for sale, for less than $100.

I realize this is an old thread... just wanted to give my thumbs up for Charge 3 which I recently picked up. In some ways it has a better/more balanced sound than my larger Xtreme. The Xtreme is for bassheads - the bass is seriously overblown, to the point where it drowns out the mids. It doesn't seem to be a problem outdoors, but indoors I much prefer the more balanced sound of Charge 3. Great little speaker.

Obviously the Xtreme will play louder (2x20 Watt amp), but Charge 3 is no slouch either (2x10 Watt).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Are there *** true *** stereo BT speakers? I don't mean full size like Edifier makes, but something more compact and small (Just for a bedroom). Anker makes one with "stereo sound" feature but i am pretty sure it's just a gimmicky term, as it is a single speaker.

Originally Posted by 97tbird
Are there *** true *** stereo BT speakers? I don't mean full size like Edifier makes, but something more compact and small (Just for a bedroom). Anker makes one with "stereo sound" feature but i am pretty sure it's just a gimmicky term, as it is a single speaker.

Those two pictured above are true stereo - they have individual drivers for Left and Right channels. Granted, they're so close together that you're not going to get any real stereo separation. For that, you should get two identical BT speakers and link them together - this way you can space them out and achieve good stereo separation.

I still enjoy mine. Actually received the updated version, the Charge 4, for Christmas last year, and I use it at work now.

Seems that the 4 has actually been cheapened a bit, compared to the 3. They went to a single driver instead of the dual driver setup in the 3, and removed the speakerphone feature altogether, although they did make the whole unit a bit larger, increased power, and increased the battery capacity, although most who have reviewed them side by side have said there was little discernible difference. And there is no difference in quoted run time.

I also don't like the buttons on the 4 as well.

The runtime of my 4 is a lot longer, but I chalk that up mainly to the fact that the battery capacity on my 3 has degraded in the last 2 years.

I paid $129 2 years ago for my 3. I checked Amazon today and saw a 3 for $110. I'm surprised they're not cheaper by now. I didn't check prices on the 4.

I like them both, though. I think either is perfect for indoors, up to a large room. If all or most of your use will be outdoors, and you're going to be getting more than about 30 feet away from it, I'd recommend something larger.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Seems that the 4 has actually been cheapened a bit, compared to the 3. They went to a single driver instead of the dual driver setup in the 3,
Yup. That is why I opted for 3 instead of 4. They went from stereo to mono, although in practical terms, it likely doesn't matter much. You're not going to get audiophile sound from either.
smile.gif

I paid $129 2 years ago for my 3. I checked Amazon today and saw a 3 for $110. I'm surprised they're not cheaper by now.

You can find the 3 on sale every now and then. I paid $80 for mine last week.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Seems that the 4 has actually been cheapened a bit, compared to the 3. They went to a single driver instead of the dual driver setup in the 3,
Yup. That is why I opted for 3 instead of 4. They went from stereo to mono, although in practical terms, it likely doesn't matter much. You're not going to get audiophile sound from either.
smile.gif

I paid $129 2 years ago for my 3. I checked Amazon today and saw a 3 for $110. I'm surprised they're not cheaper by now.

You can find the 3 on sale every now and then. I paid $80 for mine last week.

That's a good deal on that speaker.

No true stereo when speakers are inches apart.. My buddy has the oontz angle 3. It's sounds very nice considering it's size. Rich bass and crisp top end.

Lots of Bluetooth speakers on Letgo in my neck of the woods. Just counted 4 of the JBL for sale.....one would have the opportunity to listen to them also if buying used....

Back