John Deere LA110 Re-Power

My MIL has had this tractor since 2007. This is a single cylinder 19 HP Briggs powered machine. The head gasket went a few years ago and was replaced by the JD dealer. Over the weekend the machine "started smoking a lot and then started rattling loudly." Sounds catastrophic to me. She shut it off immediately and left it where it was. The dealer is picking it up tomorrow. I am just curious if it could be re-powered with a Harbor Freight Predator V-Twin, or if the mounting setup is completely different.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
id just match the shaft diameter and length with a chinese v-twin and keep going.

factory is 1 cyl briggs.. adapting a v-twin takes time and patience esp.. when its a relative's tractor.

who knows if it even fits in the sheet metal.

and after you get all that to work.. you have 13 year old box store tractor around it.. its not terrible. but not exactly a deere 318, x300 etc either.

and that is if the factory engine isnt one of the goofy vertical models.

The 22 HP vertical Predator engine will fit, as it should have the same bolt pattern, and has a 1" shaft. HF has them listed for $1000. That's way more than a replacement Briggs.

Check out Small Engine Warehouse and smallenginesurplus.com. You can find single cylinder Briggs from 13.5-18hp for less than $600. Sometimes they have a sale and you can get them for $450. Anything from that HP range should be fine for a 42" LA110. I repowered a neighbor's 42" Simplicity with a 13hp Briggs intek back in 2010 and it has been great.

Here's a 17HP for $440:

https://www.smallenginesurplus.com/briggs-stratton-31r9770054-p-3621.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
The 22 HP vertical Predator engine will fit, as it should have the same bolt pattern, and has a 1" shaft. HF has them listed for $1000. That's way more than a replacement Briggs.

Check out Small Engine Warehouse and smallenginesurplus.com. You can find single cylinder Briggs from 13.5-18hp for less than $600. Sometimes they have a sale and you can get them for $450. Anything from that HP range should be fine for a 42" LA110. I repowered a neighbor's 42" Simplicity with a 13hp Briggs intek back in 2010 and it has been great.

Here's a 17HP for $440:

Thanks Jeepman. I was just curious, and odds are that she will just replace it or opt for a lawn service. Now if only I could figure out a way to give her my D140 and get myself a water cooled diesel tractor. That would be sweet!

The next thing to go is the transmission. I would never consider a new engine. Put your hard earned money toward a new or much newer one.

Here's a 17HP for $440:

Cool didnt know they had a vertical v-twin now.
and that website is cheap but for apples to apples its $504 shipped(but out of stock) vs $599

I was considering putting the horizontal v-twin into the 3000 hour jd316 we trail mow with.. but did valve job instead.

Originally Posted by Rand

Here's a 17HP for $440:

Cool didnt know they had a vertical v-twin now.
and that website is cheap but for apples to apples its $504 shipped(but out of stock) vs $599

I was considering putting the horizontal v-twin into the 3000 hour jd316 we trail mow with.. but did valve job instead.

Whoops, didn't realize it was out of stock. I do a lot of repowers for customers but haven't done a V-Twin Predator yet. The cost is just too much for most people. They would rather I throw in a used Briggs or Kohler V-Twin. There seems to be two schools of thought with my customers, either get it done cheap with a used engine, or the commercial mower guys buy a quality replacement like a Briggs Vanguard or Kawasaki. I've seen a few Honda V-Twin repowers on those Deeres, but not a Predator yet.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy

Here's a 17HP for $440:

Thanks Jeepman. I was just curious, and odds are that she will just replace it or opt for a lawn service. Now if only I could figure out a way to give her my D140 and get myself a water cooled diesel tractor. That would be sweet!

If she does replace it, you could take it on as a project and make a bit of $. Find a used Briggs Intek on Facebook or Craigslist for $125-150, drop it in, and sell the machine for $500-600. It's literally a pulley, 4 mounting bolts, and a wire harness connector that holds those engines in. I can swap them in a half hour usually.

I get it that a Predator V-twin will bolt up, but that's only a part of the picture.

Will the predator's exhaust system fit the frame? What about wiring connectors and throttle cable?

Originally Posted by JTK
I get it that a Predator V-twin will bolt up, but that's only a part of the picture.
Will the predator's exhaust system fit the frame? What about wiring connectors and throttle cable?

About two years ago, I purchased the HF 22HP Predator to replace a blown Kohler Courage engine on a Toro zero-turn lawn mower. At the time, I found a coupon to buy it for $549. I see the coupons for this engine have dried up and they now want $1000 for it.
The HF pros: The exhaust is already on it. It bolted right up to the frame. The electrical connectors clicked in place.
The HF cons: The throttle linkage needed to be replaced with a longer one. I don't know if the OP will need to do that or not.

IMO, if you can't get the cheaper price on the HF vertical, I'd try to find something else. Knowing HF, they could discontinue this engine and your replacement parts source could dry up instantly.

Originally Posted by Kruse

The HF pros: The exhaust is already on it. It bolted right up to the frame.

Yep. I get that, but on most riding mower chassis, the exhaust is routed through and below the tractor's frame. Maybe you can unbolt the factor predator exhaust and route it that way too. I dunno.

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by Kruse

The HF pros: The exhaust is already on it. It bolted right up to the frame.

Yep. I get that, but on most riding mower chassis, the exhaust is routed through and below the tractor's frame. Maybe you can unbolt the factor predator exhaust and route it that way too. I dunno.

I meant that the engine bolted right up to the frame, which, of course, they all do. In my case, the exhause cleared the frame with no modifications. Not true in all cases.

Back