brands you've never even ridden in

So, of currently-available non-exotic car brands sold in my local market (US) Mitsubishi and Subaru are the only brands I've not driven or ridden in. Seems odd that I've never stumbled on these brands, at least once, as a passenger...

I've ridden and driven most common brands, but nothing more exotic than Mercedes (or Yugo), and no brand that was extinct before I was born. Nothing British, unless you count a '70s Ford Capri or Fiesta.
When I was small, my parents had a Willys.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Never have ridden in one of those quality Yugo's!

I owned one for about 30 min. A guy I worked with needed a car but did not have any cash on him. I bought it to hold it while he went to the bank. I paid $200 for it.

Interesting question. I've driven or ridden in a great many brands. Of all the major brands here in the USA, Lambo is one I don't recall ever being in. My boss has owned just about everything else, and I've driven many of them.

I did get to drive a perfect 2 stroke Trabant in former East Germany. Loved it, but I absolutely love two stroke engines. I have a video somewhere, with blue smoke swirling behind!

Here I am driving an Enzo, following a McLaren F1 (The F1 was/is among my very favorite cars to drive) That was a fun drive home from the dealership. Boss purchased both cars on the same day. For those who care, the manual transmission, non throttle by wire F1 always got the jump on the Enzo, despite all my efforts to the contrary. The F1 would just spin it's tires and gain 700 feet of distance, every time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
Let's see, from the current FCA, only the real Italian brands I've not been in. I've driven Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth and RAM. Maybe not an Eagle, but certainly an AMC if you count them as part of the MOPAR family back in the day.

GM - pretty much everything. Chevy and GMC, Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Cadillac, Hummer if you count the military. Holden if you count a rebadged Commodore here as a GTO. Even a Saturn. Probably not an Opel as much as I'd like to have a go at the poor man's Corvette. Am I missing anything in this family?

Ford - Ford, Lincoln, Mercury. But none of the stuff that was part of Ford when they had a bunch of prestige brands like Aston Martin, etc.

Germany - been in the common US imports, VW, BMW, Mercedes and Audi

Korean - Both Kia and Hyundai have been a ride.

Japanese - Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Isuzu, Mazda and Mitsubishi have all carried me somewhere, am I missing anything here, probably been in all of the up-market brands like Acura, Lexus and Infinity as well. Probably as Suzuki, but it may have been a GM, and certainly I've ridden a Suzuki Motorcycle, so I'm going to count it as one I've had as transportation.

If anything French or Italian, I don't recall.

I think the only thing British was my former stepfather's Morris Minor back in the late 1960s.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
Never ridden in a Porsche, DeTomaso Pantera, Lancia, Maybach, Aston Martin, Mclaren, Panoz, Lamborghini, Corvette.
The question was about non-exotic brands. I'd consider all those exotic except Corvette, which is a model of a non-exotic brand.

There are so many. I am not including any luxury brands EXCEPT those that are tied to a mainstream brand (example: Toyota-Lexus, Honda-Acura, GM-Cadillac) I have not driven/rode in a Subaru, Mazda, Lincoln, Cadillac, Fiat, Infinity. Every other current day non-luxury manufacture I have driven/rode in.

My dad had a Lancia, and it's no more exotic than an Alfa Romeo (had one of those, too).

Both have had some notable models, but fallen on hard times. Fiat has owned both for a long time, and has put more effort and money into Alfa, and neglected the other, so all that remains of Lancia is an econo hatchback. Sad.

In certain areas, it wouldn't be hard to swing your door open in a parking lot and hit a Porsche, albeit likely one of their SUV models rather than a 911 or 718, though those are around as well. Neither rare nor exotic.

Even Maserati, which could genuinely be considered exotic, aren't uncommon. It started chasing volume with the BiTurbo, and who could forget the illustrious TC? They're relied on the Chrysler parts bin for many years.

Nothing American except the Jeeps. Drove in few. Every Euro brand except the very high end brends, most if not all of the Japanese and even Lada. Never been in Kia. Even had a De Tomaso.

Last edited:
Back