Massey Ferguson 65 revival.

Working on getting the fuel system fixed up on my Massey Ferguson 65. It is a Marvel-Schebler TSX 695 carb on a G176 Continental engine. The tractor has sat for less than five years and fired up correctly once I replaced the points and filled the gas tank. It has had E10 run in it for a while and the tank has been bone dry due to a leak on the sediment bowl. Not much rust in it but gonna put it in the dip and clean it up. The last time the carb was rebuilt was close to 30 years ago. I remember when we did it and added a fuel filter to the line. Biggest issue was the sintered metal drain in the bottom of the air path that lets any fuel leakage get out was plugged so the fuel ran to a rubber boot and ate a hole in it. I was patching it with duct tape for several years but while it was sitting some mice decided to pack hickory nuts up in the intake pipe so when I went to give it a test drive they sucked up in the carb and covered the jet 100 foot down the road. Limped it back and cleaned them out and tried again only to have another one do the same thing. The bowl fell off the oil bath air cleaner at some point in time and got smashed by the power steering unit. Don't know how long ago that happened.probably the last few times dad ran it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Also took the sediment bowl off the tank to clean it and flush any junk out of the tank. Used a chainsaw raker file to clean the flanges on the carb.

Will post mor pics when I put the carb back together

Pics of the points and the hole in the power steering filter.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry they are all sideways. My iPhone does that for some reason.

And in case any one is wondering it is the same Continental that makes air plane engines. Same Marvel-Schebler that makes airplane carbs and the same Cessna that makes air plane hydraulic systems.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Parts still available ?

Back when I was fixing up my old Case tractor 2-3 years ago everything was available. Back in the 40's and 50's many parts were universal. Napa had a carb rebuild kit in stock ( just like the op's carb). The ignition points fit 20 or so car brands including Dodge,plymouth and Willys jeep and were in stock @ Autozone.

Napa got the underseat hydraulic piston seal next day.

Easier if you do your homework and go into the store with part numbers.

Lots of parts are available and what isn't is covered by aftermarket. They used this same basic design of Transmission/ rear end to this day. The distributor is a Delco and was used in all sorts of things from every brand. I can get an aftermarket carb but there is no reason not to rebuild this one. The throttle and choke shaft are worn but you can still get them.

First half of the carb has been through the dip. Still a little cleaning to do to remove the caked on gunk then I will throw the bottom half in for a day. The top is in the dip right now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Do you have an ultrasonic cleaner ? I have seen several videos of people using then on carbs .

I do not. I have had good luck using the dip if you leave it in for a day or so. It comes out looking like new. Since it just sits in it you have to knock some of the grime off manually. I give the can a shake every now and then to move any trapped air bubbles and knock some of the dirt loose.

If you look at the picture of the float you can see where the level of the cleaner was on it.

I think the body might make a trip through the dishwasher just to get it cleaned enough to paint it. The wife will be impressed with me when I do that.

Last edited:
I was thinking I might need to flush to stuff out of the tank. It has never been cleaned that I know of. The tractor does not have a fuel gauge so various sticks were used to check the level over the years.
[Linked Image]

Filler cap is on top and photo is the bottom of the tank.

Last edited:
Here is the carb body after a trip through the dish washer. Flash rusted something fierce but that means there is bare metal for paint to stick to. I think I am gonna paint it MF red just to make it look different. Technically it should be MF grey or possibly black but I don't want to do that. Gotta figure out what to do about the rust though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Carb is sitting in Evaporust tonight. Already knocked everything but the oldest rust but gonna see if it gets it all.

Got the oil bowl beat back round as I could. Kids thought it was funny I was sitting in their sand box with a hammer and a piece of wood beating on something. Had one tight wrinkle that ended up making a hole. I think I will braze it when I get ahold of a torch.
[Linked Image]

Ever since I have driven this tractor the power steering has never worked to the left. Looks like the only think causing the problem was a couple worn pins and some minor adjustment.
[Linked Image]

She knows I like to eat so I wouldn't do anything to get in the way of that.

Got two coats of primer and a couple coats of red on. Set it in the oven on the lowest setting to bake for a bit. Still tacky but better than it would be outside in the humidity. Still need to put another coat on to get some spots that I missed. I have reached out to a couple of places to get parts and no one is wanting to get back to me.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Back