Baby praying mantis

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Went into my shed today and noticed that the hood of my tractor and the can of penetrating oil on it is covered in baby praying mantises. Never seen that before.

State insect of CT (yes, there is one)

I've seen a few adults by my front door; for the adventurous, there are videos of African ones attacking (and winning) a fight with a mouse.

Thanks for the pic.

That is awesome!! VERY good bugs to have around. I used to wee walking sticks all the time,but now I never see them.

I am not a person that likes bugs very much in general, but I think of praying mantis's as more of a small animal than A bug. I know they are bugs, Or I suppose insects actually, but I think they are the neatest ones. Like a small pet.

I was under the impression the praying mantis was Pennsylvanias State insect also until I researched it and found out its the fire fly. Regardless, thanks for sharing the picture -- never seen them that small before. Have not seen one praying mantis yet this year -- even though today is only the first day of summer officially.

Dale

As a kid I had a brown egg sack on a piece of limb. I had it on my room in a glass mason jar with holes on the lid. When it hatched, there were a hundred or so of these.

I let them all go in the garden.

They are very cool.

My shed gets lots of wasps in it so maybe they will take care of that. I lit a citronella candle and set it on the hood to get them to go away but they are still all over it. I had to chase them off the can since I needed it but they are all over the hood and the tires. The nice thing is the gnats aren't bothering me in there like they were in the driveway this morning while I was changing plugs and wires in my suburban.

Maybe they like John Deere penetrating oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
That is awesome!! VERY good bugs to have around. I used to wee walking sticks all the time,but now I never see them.

We used to have lots of walking sticks on the farm. Mowing hay when the exhausts of the tractor knocked against a limb you would be covered in them.

I have a bunch of them in one of my flower beds. I was watering the other day and they were all over the mulch. Cute little buggers.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Take them out in the garden. Good to have around. Always like to see they in our flower beds.

cheers3.gif

Yea, the little ones are cute I guess, and they are good for the environment. But I have a genuine phobia of the full grown ones. We have them every fall around here. When I see one I give it a VERY wide berth or even go the other way if I can. Been that way since I was a little kid. Can't deal with them.

Originally Posted by levi
Yea, the little ones are cute I guess, and they are good for the environment. But I have a genuine phobia of the full grown ones. We have them every fall around here. When I see one I give it a VERY wide berth or even go the other way if I can. Been that way since I was a little kid. Can't deal with them.

Use a torch - they're just bugs!

Last edited:
Praying Mantis do nothing to humans - good for bug control.

Back