Best grease to use in sealed ball joints?

I took out my bmw control arms to replace the bushings, and would like to add some grease to the ball joints. They are the sealed type but I can easily insert a grease needle next to the tapered shaft.
I'm thinking marine grease since it's less likely to leach out and be affected by water?

You want the same "soap" chemistry that's already in there-- mixing is bad. I'd use moly grease.

Originally Posted by eljefino
You want the same "soap" chemistry that's already in there-- mixing is bad. I'd use moly grease.

I agree. But how do i determine what is in there already?

Originally Posted by Framer
Originally Posted by eljefino

I agree. But how do i determine what is in there already?

Ask the manufacturer

I think I read that Aluminum base complex grease will mix with either lithium or moly base grease. Most marine greases are aluminum base, so you're on the right track. I have mixed the blue marine grease with other kinds in the past without issue.

I wouldn't use Aluminum base grease... it's not compatible with lithium soap grease which is still the most commonly used type. I think your best bet is a lithium complex type grease as it seems to be compatible with most other grease types.

Originally Posted by FabricGATOR
Yeah, mixing grease may have killed 88 people in year 2000...

Another goofy response from this... new user. Looks like that's your theme.

Bought a tube of Green Grease. Their marketing got me. Lol

Do you think that's the same type grease already in the joint?

I have no idea. But the green grease is water resistant and says it can be mixed with many other greases.

I took out my bmw control arms to replace the bushings, and would like to add some grease to the ball joints. They are the sealed type but I can easily insert a grease needle next to the tapered shaft.
I'm thinking marine grease since it's less likely to leach out and be affected by water?

I would leave the joints alone and not poke a hole in the boots. You then will have a small hole which will eventually get bigger and you destroyed any protection against the elements. I have had creeky joints and lubing through the boot didn't do a thing. Fittings are always on the bottom and you can't get any grease to the bottom of the joint where it is needed.

Last edited:
I like Redline CV-2. Specs: (from Redline)

Lubricant 4-Ball Wear Load/Wear Index
(ASTM D-4172B) (ASTM D-2783)

Red Line CV-2 0.46 71.1
Syn Grease - M 0.50 41.9
Syn Moly Grease - A 0.78 38.4
GM Wheel Bearing Grease 0.71 36.6

Lubricant 4-Ball Weld Drop Point
(ASTM D-2783)
Red Line CV-2 400 Kg >800°F
Syn Grease - M 2 200 Kg 485°F
Syn Moly Grease - A 315 Kg 515°F
GM Wheel Bearing Grease 250 Kg 525°F

PROPERTY CV-2 GREASE
NLGI Grade #2
NLGI Service GC-LB
Thickener Non-Soap
Fluid Type Thermally-stable synthetic
Useful Temperature Range -100°F to 500°F
Color Red
Dropping Point, >800°F
Load Wear Index 71.2
4-Ball Wear Scar Diameter (Red), 40 Kg 0.46 mm
Water Washout @ 105°F 1%
Evaporation Loss, 22 hrs @ 350°F 4%
Oil Separation, 30 hrs @ 350°F 5%
Oxidation Stability, 500 hrs @210°F, ∆psi 1.75 (12 kPa)
Rust Test, ASTM D1743 Pass

Red Line CV-2 Grease is designed to withstand the extreme temperatures and pressures which occur in high-performance wheel bearings and CV-joints.
The excellent high temperature stability, extreme-pressure protection and water resistance enables it to out-perform even the best conventional or synthetic greases.

Red Line CV-2 Grease can be used in a wide range of applications at temperatures ranging between -100°F to 500°F and provides good oxidation and corrosion resistance, low evaporation and oil separation, and has a minimum effect on rubber seals.
The exceptional extreme-pressure performance and the fluidity of the synthetic oil allows increases in bearing life of 200% to 800%.

Red Line CV-2 Grease contains a red moly compound which is a superior lubricant to black moly disulfide lubricants.

Red Line CV-2 Grease may also be used in industrial applications such as high-temperature alternator bearings, high-speed ball bearings, conveyor bearings, worm gear drives, servo mechanisms and applications where vibrations can cause fretting wear and corrosion to take place.

Red Line CV-2 Grease will retain its consistency and extreme-pressure performance under high-temperature and high-shear conditions for extended periods, which extends the performance ranges of the lubricated components.

Red Line CV-2 will slightly darken after high-temperature use; this darkening will not detrimentally effect the performance of the grease.

Although Red Line CV-2 is compatible with small amounts of many petroleum-based greases, it is always good lubrication practice to thoroughly clean out the old grease to eliminate abrasive particles and to minimize the possibility of grease incompatibility.

This is the first time I’ve heard this. You’d have to know what’s in everything prior to greasing.

"By the book" that true but don't let the chicken little's who quote Noria as the absolute gospel and link charts they don't fully comprehend sell the mantra of "destruction" if they ever touch.

I have literally had to deal with and investigate this over a thousand times over the decade and still don't have one conclusive case ( nor does anyone else it seems and I have asked) where a one off changeover destroyed something.

Technically, you would have to consider the base stock ( and blend) of the oil, the thickener (which is most commonly referenced) and the specific additive package- any one of them could render a mixture "incompatible" but that words needs some definition.

It simply means in ASTM that when mixed and heated it can change the dropping point, consistency or mechanical stability. ( as defined by grade)

Then it goes on with the catch all that 'for your application, additional tests may be necessary etc. et al."

I personally have tested this in blenders mixing amounts and yes it can make a difference which in all probability will alter performance characteristics.

And if you had a PM where you put 10 shots of grease X then the next guy does 10 shots of grease ,I can see where damage could occur.

But with a decent wipe out or "pump to purge"- the residual concentrations ( especially those slumping /sitting in the housing not being mixed at the point of need) are very unlikely to ever cause an incident EXCEPT in the most precision of applications like spindles, robots etc.

The articles are academically correct and best practices should be followed but don't let people turn it into something it never has been.

Ask the people to produce one verified and vetted RCFA that showed this was the case ( outside of a lab test- those do in fact exist)- I would love to see what type of bearing failed and what mixture killed it and in what application.

I like Redline CV-2. Specs: (from Redline)

Lubricant 4-Ball Wear Load/Wear Index
(ASTM D-4172B) (ASTM D-2783)

Red Line CV-2 0.46 71.1
Syn Grease - M 0.50 41.9
Syn Moly Grease - A 0.78 38.4
GM Wheel Bearing Grease 0.71 36.6

Lubricant 4-Ball Weld Drop Point
(ASTM D-2783)
Red Line CV-2 400 Kg >800°F
Syn Grease - M 2 200 Kg 485°F
Syn Moly Grease - A 315 Kg 515°F
GM Wheel Bearing Grease 250 Kg 525°F

PROPERTY CV-2 GREASE
NLGI Grade #2
NLGI Service GC-LB
Thickener Non-Soap
Fluid Type Thermally-stable synthetic
Useful Temperature Range -100°F to 500°F
Color Red
Dropping Point, >800°F
Load Wear Index 71.2
4-Ball Wear Scar Diameter (Red), 40 Kg 0.46 mm
Water Washout @ 105°F 1%
Evaporation Loss, 22 hrs @ 350°F 4%
Oil Separation, 30 hrs @ 350°F 5%
Oxidation Stability, 500 hrs @210°F, ∆psi 1.75 (12 kPa)
Rust Test, ASTM D1743 Pass

Red Line CV-2 Grease is designed to withstand the extreme temperatures and pressures which occur in high-performance wheel bearings and CV-joints.
The excellent high temperature stability, extreme-pressure protection and water resistance enables it to out-perform even the best conventional or synthetic greases.

Red Line CV-2 Grease can be used in a wide range of applications at temperatures ranging between -100°F to 500°F and provides good oxidation and corrosion resistance, low evaporation and oil separation, and has a minimum effect on rubber seals.
The exceptional extreme-pressure performance and the fluidity of the synthetic oil allows increases in bearing life of 200% to 800%.

Red Line CV-2 Grease contains a red moly compound which is a superior lubricant to black moly disulfide lubricants.

Red Line CV-2 Grease may also be used in industrial applications such as high-temperature alternator bearings, high-speed ball bearings, conveyor bearings, worm gear drives, servo mechanisms and applications where vibrations can cause fretting wear and corrosion to take place.

Red Line CV-2 Grease will retain its consistency and extreme-pressure performance under high-temperature and high-shear conditions for extended periods, which extends the performance ranges of the lubricated components.

Red Line CV-2 will slightly darken after high-temperature use; this darkening will not detrimentally effect the performance of the grease.

Although Red Line CV-2 is compatible with small amounts of many petroleum-based greases, it is always good lubrication practice to thoroughly clean out the old grease to eliminate abrasive particles and to minimize the possibility of grease incompatibility.

What do you think about this product?

For many years as a tech I pumped Motorcraft multi purpose long life black grease into everything with a zerk fitting on it. I have continued that practice. Ball joints, tie rods, trailer bearings, fittings on farm equipment it all got the Motorcraft. Which I'm on my last tube of now so I guess I'll replace it with something multi purpose from the farm supply store. The thing to watch is if it is rated for front wheel bearings as not all grease is.

Originally Posted by FabricGATOR
Yeah, mixing grease may have killed 88 people in year 2000...

Another goofy response from this... new user. Looks like that's your theme.
I think he was referring to Alaska Air 261. The nut-on-jackscrew joint failed catastrophically on the stabilizer; while the investigators looked at grease substitution as a contributing factor, in the end they decided that the lack of lubrication, not the wrong grease, was the failure mode: Loss of Control and Impact with Pacific Ocean Alaska Airlines Flight 261 McDonnell Douglas MD-83, N963AS About 2.7 Miles North of Anacapa Island, California January 31, 2000

Back