Something better for less money?

Hi guys! This site is amazing, and full of great info so I thought I would kindly ask for some opinions. I'm a motorcycle nut, and as such, I have been using Motul products for years in my Bikes, and A.T.V's, and even though it's a bit pricey, my machines are worth it. I have been totally satisfied. That said, I have been using it in my cars for the last few years. I have two Suzuki S.U.V's(2012 Grand Vitara with a 2.4L (110,000 miles) and, a 2003 XL-7 with a 2.7L V-6(160,000 miles. I also have a 05' F-150 with a 4.6L V-8 (165,000 miles). I have been using Motul's "8100 X-Clean 5-W30 in the Suzuki's, and 5-W20 in my pick up. I obviously have had good results as they all run great with the high mileage that they have, but could I be spending more than I need to, or is there something better for equal money? Any advice would be much appreciated!

E96ABA14-5325-4DED-A1C2-2B3FB474F62C.jpeg

EF03D21F-01D4-42B3-BEFE-9A68B2E3BB94.jpeg

Last edited:
That's amazing. I have been riding out at stoddard wells since probably the mid eighties, and my wife and I have dreamed of getting out of the city, and moving to the high desert for years. So in March we sold our house in Glendora, and made it happen. I can't say there hasn't been some things to get used to, but we knew we would run into that coming in. We love it here!!!!

Or those guys I am thinking most off the shelf oils at Walmart would be more than fine for them.

For Example, Quaker State Full Synthetic is currently 19.97/5qt jug, and I my cars seem pretty happy with them....

Originally Posted by Chris142
Hey! That looks like kiowa and rock springs area! Difrancisco too.

Yep, looks like a great place to start a large vegetable garden.....lol

Those vehicles shown look like they're in great shape. Kudos to OP....
thumbsup2.gif

Why pay that money on old high mile cars. Go to Walmart and buy any oil between $18 to $27 for 5 qts and you will have better oil then is ever needed X2. You were just wasting your money with Motul. Now if you had a high stressed turbo motor and you thrashed on it, then motul quality oil might be justifiable. With the exception of my Kona I thrash, all my other family's cars get on sale $21 Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5w-30 (Towing) and the Honda gets Walmart full synthetic high mileage or Pennzoil full synthetic high mileage. The Kona gets Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP or now testing Redline 5w-30 Euro.

Use whatever works. Shell is just a synthesized paraffin, Higher Motul series are majority PAO.

I don't find PAO to be the be all end all, but its a good starting point.

The best "cheap" oil I've tried that gives EVERYTHING you want, which is:

1) highest fuel MPG

2) power

3) lugging torque

was the new Valvoline Advanced ( not modern engine )

I was never a big Valvoline fan in the past but this stuff is the cat's meow.

Runs better than any 5 dollar a litre 5W30 out there that I have tried.

And Ive tried most of them in multiple platforms!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Yep, looks like a great place to start a large vegetable garden.....lol:!

Melons do good and the area was known for potatoes and alfalfa before the houses got built. Our biggest problem is the bunnies and squirrels eat every thing before it has a chance to grow. Our zuccinni are doing well with my make shift fence around it.

The brown mountain in his top pic ( car) has an earthquake fault running along the base of it. A finger of the San Andreas.

Lots of mining here in the past. Still lits of cement quaries,limestone,dolomite etc.

Also many abandoned gold mines up in those hills and gold can still be found. It was a great place to grow up in the 70's and 80's for a kid that liked to go dirtbike riding and exploring.

IMG_20200620_063152.jpg

Last edited:
kinda off topic moonboy188, but you have a couple of nice suzuki suv. it is too bad that suzuki cars failed in north america, they are well regarded elsewhere in the world.

Didn't know any of that Chris. Thanks tor the info! Great garden you have. I might have to try that too! Off topic, but we did have a friendly visitor last week.

5D81CFF7-5001-4A42-957D-8FD445D9BF8E.jpeg

6207FE18-9DCF-4A0D-AE9A-88DBB1B5FD9B.jpeg

8AD3A671-8E69-4BE5-B992-27CB6B1CAA04.jpeg

Last edited:
That's kinda what I was thinking as well. Do I keep using what has got them to the mileage they have, and do they need the Motul now more than ever, or can I get something that's good enough for basically half the price. Exactly the advice i was looking for. Thank you!

Last edited:
Yes, I worked at a Suzuki Motorcycle Dealership for over 20 years. I'm a big fan of Japanese engineering, and manufacturing. Even though I did not work for corporate Suzuki, I tried my best to support them in every way, I've had at least 5 Cars/SUV's, and even their outboard motors, some better than others. I think the automotive market in the U.S. is tough to compete in, especially when they refused to bring any of their really cool stuff here, The Swift, The Stingray, etc,etc. I got great deals on all of them through the people I know at Corporate, Parts too. I had to drive to Arizona to buy my wife's car because there were none left in California in 2012( Last year they sold cars in the U.S.) They were only selling around 5,000 cars a year.... not good. I was sad to see them go, but it was the right business move for them. Now it's just the mc's, and the marine division. I have been told that they are the third largest automotive retailer in japan. Sorry to be so long winded🤪

Back