Who remembers that giant catalog?

Full of everything automotive from engine rebuild kits to complete engines. It was massive and made an impressive door stop. Haven't seen it around in a few years and forgot its name. No, not JC Whitney.

I remember the PAW catalogs, it's just that I never did purchase anything from them. Perhaps that's one reason they went out of business.
Since we are going down memory lane, how many people here remember (many years ago) that J.C. Whitney declared bankruptcy? How do I remember that?
They sent me a refund check on something they couldn't send and it.....drum roll please....BOUNCED!

I spent hours and hours with the PAW and Summit wishbooks.

Summit supplied most of the parts for my 400 Pontiac rebuild, but I did get a few things from PAW. One was a gasket set that taught me you get what you pay for. A headgasket let loose in spectacular fashion one night not long after break-in, spraying a coolant/oil mixture out of the dipstick tube and up onto the windshield. The Fel-Pro replacements saw thousands of miles and several quarter and eighth-mile passes with no problems.

Yes PAW. I absolutely love the older "little guy" catalogs.

They would advertise in the back of magazines, "call for your free catalog"

I got a catalog from a custom rims dealer from Southern California specializing in rims for 1st gen Ford Rangers, they actually listed the wheel spacers, and dimensions. If you wanted you could MAKE your own wheel spacers right from the catalog that is trying to sell them.

Last edited:
Pennsylvania Automotive Warehouse......yup, that's the one. Good ol' days for sure.

When I was in High School, I spent many an evening turning the pages of PAW building my dream engine. Never came to pass, but lots of fun.

Black dragon auto. Good times had all the gaskets and stuff for all 3 generations of RX7.

Originally Posted by P10crew
MSC is the biggest catalog that I've ever seen

Dunno, the McMaster-carr catalog will definitely give it a run for its money. Some reason it can be easier to navigate than the website.

Originally Posted by Delta
Originally Posted by P10crew
MSC is the biggest catalog that I've ever seen

Dunno, the McMaster-carr catalog will definitely give it a run for its money. Some reason it can be easier to navigate than the website.

Their website is pretty frustrating to use. MSC also has a giant book, but a much better website.

Speaking of which, I could use a new set of 8" digital calipers
whistle.gif

Just by reading the title, I was guessing Cabelas. When I was a kid, they used to send us massive spring and fall catalogs. Hard back even. I loved looking at them.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Pennsylvania Automotive Warehouse......yup, that's the one. Good ol' days for sure.

Pennsylvania? Performance...

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by sloinker

Pennsylvania? Performance...

Ya I thought it was Performance also. FWIW my "new" truck has had most parts from Amazon along with my Motorcraft vendors that also carry ACDelco.

Anyone remember the HUGE Phonolog record and tape catalog that was in every record store (probably up till the late 1980s)?

Back