Fram Titainium FS9688/Fram Ultra XG9688 Hyundai Filter

I bought 6 new Fram Titanium's and they lowered the price as long as I bought the case. I did not the deal ZeeOSix recieved. Mine were $10.99 ea. Even though I know the Ultra holes are the same size as the threaded intake, I just don't like the micro base holes, easier to make foam, my brain tells me. Ha Ha. My Titanium's do not have this high end orange gasket, the same old grainy black gasket.

IMG_7448.jpg

IMG_7449.jpg

IMG_7450.jpg

IMG_7451.jpg

That was someone else who bought the Titanium. Strange yours didn't have the orange base gasket ... maybe an early run? What's the date code, I can't quite make it out in the photo.

So can one explain me how the titanium is superior to the ultra? Does the shape of the holes really matter?

Originally Posted by SlavaB
So can one explain me how the titanium is superior to the ultra? Does the shape of the holes really matter?

Bigger inlet holes
Improved gasket
More grip material that covers the entire can

Personally I am putting an Ultra on my Subaru next week that will replace the Ultra currently not. I am not torn between using an Ultra vs. a Titanium on that car thinking that one or the other must be a better decision. But on my Hyundai that uses a 9688 series filter I do like the bigger holes and having more grip.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
Originally Posted by SlavaB

Bigger inlet holes
Improved gasket
More grip material that covers the entire can...

The only benefit I see to the Titanium is the whole can is grippy.
As for the inlet holes, 12 smaller holes vs 8 bigger holes, not sure it makes any difference (outlet size is identical, still has an ADV to get around, media is the same per Fram rep, and overall inlet diameter probably about the same).
Never have had an issue with the gasket, so not really sure what is "improved"?

$6 retail price difference, I would stick with an Ultra. If you can get a deal on the Titanium, I would not hesitate to use it.

Originally Posted by blupupher
As for the inlet holes, 12 smaller holes vs 8 bigger holes, not sure it makes any difference (outlet size is identical, still has an ADV to get around, media is the same per Fram rep, and overall inlet diameter probably about the same).

+1 ... The tear drop inlet holes might reduce the delta-p by a hair, but no PD oil pump is going to care.

Originally Posted by Mainia
I bought 6 new Fram Titanium's and they lowered the price as long as I bought the case. I did not the deal ZeeOSix recieved. Mine were $10.99 ea. Even though I know the Ultra holes are the same size as the threaded intake, I just don't like the micro base holes, easier to make foam, my brain tells me. Ha Ha. My Titanium's do not have this high end orange gasket, the same old grainy black gasket.

I was hoping to see inside that big, dark round hole of your shown 9688 filter. Need to see how big the holes are - inside that big dark hole..
lol.gif

I can use the 9688 on either Korean vehicle we own. I like the Titanium and Force. But the regular prices are whacked-out.

Last edited:
For those of you wanting to purchase a Fram Titanium FS9688 and want the price to be closer to the Walmart price, use discount code TYHBBX for 25% off at AAP for the rest of June 2020.

The gasket will be black, it is different from the old Ultra's. The orange gasket is just advertising.

Originally Posted by Mainia
The gasket will be black, it is different from the old Ultra's. The orange gasket is just advertising.

Mis-advertising

Originally Posted by dubber09
Is that rust on the new filter

Are you Nate from Nate's Interactive Auto on YouTube? Because that is something he would suggest.

No it is not rust and to suggest that it is, is one heck of a conclusion to jump to. I have a Fram Titanium on hand that I just looked at and it looks the same as the one pictured, whatever it is that you would suggest might be rust is nothing I would perceive in a negative light.

The hyperbolic conclusions people jump to by default on this site
smirk2.gif

It was a question, not a statement, and I asked jokingly, you seem to read into things too much.
I will admit I'm skeptical about Fram filters while their Ultra is a well made one and may be TG too.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by dubber09
[Linked Image]

Looks like over-spray of the grippy coating to me.

+1 ... if it was rust the base plate would most likely show signs too.

Back