06'Acura TSX A/C question

Hello all,

Little confused here. Replacing compressor and condenser on a 2006. I think the compressor has gone bad. Got 245K out of her. My questions are as follows:

1. Do I need to have the system evacuated AND flushed prior to disassembly?
2. Adding oil to compressor. Do I do that or let the shop add it when they recharge system?
3. If I do it, what amount do I add for replacing the compressor and condenser?
4. Do I drain all the oil out of the new compressor if it was shipped with oil?

Thank you for any help you can send my way!

You may need to replace a few other parts like orifice. Good time for o-rings also. The T134a should be removed prior to disassembly not just dumped into atmosphere. The compressor may ship with oil.

If the compressor really went bad there can be pieces of metal all through the system.

Bring the new compressor to the shop and have them do the work.

While you may same a little money buying your own compressor if there is an issue you will need to pay for more labor. The shop will not warranty anything. The manufacturer of the compressor may give you a new one under warranty but no labor,

Just looking to get about another year out of the car. NOT giving a shop 1K plus to put a compressor in. It's way to easy to remove/replace on the Honda K24. Can they evacuate and then flush the system in case there is junk floating around, prior to me changing out the compressor and condenser?

Last edited:
Either do it right (starting with an actual diagnosis, not "I think the compressor has gone bad"), or roll down the windows. It seems to me any money you spend on the path you're going will just be wasted.

Originally Posted by mk378
Either do it right (starting with an actual diagnosis, not "I think the compressor has gone bad"), or roll down the windows. It seems to me any money you spend on the path you're going will just be wasted.

mk378 speaks truth. Been there, done that, not pretty, pretty stupid on my part. Why was I so hard headed?

Originally Posted by Kozman011
Just looking to get about another year out of the car. NOT giving a shop 1K plus to put a compressor in. It's way to easy to remove/replace on the Honda K24. Can they evacuate and then flush the system in case there is junk floating around, prior to me changing out the compressor and condenser?

Can't flush a parallel flow condenser or expansion valve. Both must be replaced if the compressor blew up.

Originally Posted by Kozman011
I will be replacing those parts as well.

You must (I think) pull the evaporator to replace the TXV. Pretty sure it cannot be accessed from underhood. If you're going that far, may as well replace the evaporator. The only components remaining in the system are the lines, which are trivial to flush at that point. Since you've replaced basically the entire system, you can then just measure how much oil is in the new compressor, and subtract that amount from the system total to figure out how much oil you'll need to add to the rest of the system.

I did the same job on my own '06 TSX two years ago. I replaced the compressor, evaporator, TXV, and condenser. Probably around the same mileage as yours. Mine's now at 276k.

The evaporator was leaking, the TXV was failing, and I had already jerry-rigged the compressor clutch (I replaced the thermal switch in the coil and re-shimmed it) a few years prior. It was time for an overhaul and it's been working great ever since.

Last edited:
Thank you. That video will come in very handy as it appears the evap/expansion valve are the hardest part of the job. Much appreciated!

Back