9000k service intervals. Should I change filter have way thru?

2015 s5 . Direct injection . Factory calls for 9000miles /15000km oil changes. Ive been changing half way thru to help with carbon build up as it Direct injection.
2015 audi s5.

My question is do I really need to change the filter also?

Just stick with the factory interval unless you do severe service driving. 9000mi is no big deal for any synthetic. The only reason to change the oil at 4500 is if you have fuel dilution.

Last edited:
I'd change them both at 5K. My OEM filter is under $5 with a washer. Too inexpensive not to...

Nothing that anyone says matters until you have UOA. You may find more info here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/

There are many filters on the market that are rated far beyond 9K miles. FWIW, I've had enough UOA done that I've called Horizon testing and spoke to their lab director regarding "top up oil." He told me that when the TBN gets too low they just recommend a filter change. He said it's not really that the filter needs changing, the engine really just needs some top up oil. Hmmm. Why don't they just say so? If you're doing 4500 mile oil changes, you're throwing away perfectly good oil. (My two cents). I'll repeat: Nothing anyone says matters until you have UOA. Just do whatever lets you sleep at night.

Originally Posted by Old Mustang Guy
With d.i. I think you will absolutely have fuel dilution at 5k. My 19 Avalon has a hybrid system that has port and d.i.

I'm not questioning your credibility, I'm questioning your opinion. Have you had UOA? If not, your opinion is just your opinion...Oh, I see. It starts with "I think..."

Absolutely opinion. But I did stay at holiday inn express.

Absolutely yes. I'm a Platinum member. Everything is better at holiday inn. Especially Love the cinnamon rolls.

With d.i. I think you will absolutely have fuel dilution at 5k. My 19 Avalon has a hybrid system that has port and d.i.

No he won't in that engine. This is not Honda.

Originally Posted by wantboost
2015 s5 . Direct injection . Factory calls for 9000miles /15000km oil changes. Ive been changing half way thru to help with carbon build up as it Direct injection.
2015 audi s5.

My question is do I really need to change the filter also?

So, you are asking should you change a part that costs some $5-6?

To spend the time to change your and not add the filter that costs a few bucks is silly TBH. Yes. Change the filter.

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil
Nothing that anyone says matters until you have UOA. You may find more info here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/

There are many filters on the market that are rated far beyond 9K miles. FWIW, I've had enough UOA done that I've called Horizon testing and spoke to their lab director regarding "top up oil." He told me that when the TBN gets too low they just recommend a filter change. He said it's not really that the filter needs changing, the engine really just needs some top up oil. Hmmm. Why don't they just say so? If you're doing 4500 mile oil changes, you're throwing away perfectly good oil. (My two cents). I'll repeat: Nothing anyone says matters until you have UOA. Just do whatever lets you sleep at night.

On a DI engine I actually do that and spike the 0w20 with a quart of HD30 @ 4K and then go another 3K (no UOA) … 10 mins and $8 … A Fumoto could easily do this and keep filter.

Last edited:
The turbo GDI I4 in my 2007 Mazdaspeed was rumored to have a significant issue with fuel diluting the oil. Numerous self-proclaimed "experts" advised a minimum OCI of 3,000 miles. Multiple UOAs revealed that a 7,500 mile OCI was conservative- at least when running Mobil 1 5W-30. It was still running great at 158,000 miles when I flipped it for the 2er.

Subject matter experts are like a fixed Tomcat … they don't do anything now, but still know all about it … ...·

My turbo/tuned VW that gets driven HARD shows min. fuel dilution 7.5-9K OCIs. Just b/c it's DI doesn't automatically equal fuel dilution issues.

Originally Posted by wantboost
My filters are 20 $ . Who does UOA in canada

OK so $20 on a vehicle that is $70,000?
For me changing oil but not filter is like taking shower in underwear.
Check specialized stores. Check whether WIX offers kit in Canada. Here is is $12.5 for UOA kit.

Last edited:
I change mine every 5K miles and I don't even question it. Same engine as yours. I do it because I want to keep the car for as long as possible. Oil is cheap. The 3.0L TFSI supercharged is a great engine, strong and reliable. Take care of it, don't penny pinch. Oil and filter changes aren't hard to do on our engines man; especially if you're using an oil extractor instead of draining from the bottom. The filter is literally in arms reach. Just do it.

Go with any 0W-40/5W-40 Euro oil with VW 502 spec. Get a Mann or Mahle oil filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw

For me changing oil but not filter is like taking shower in underwear.

Just curious as to why you feel this way.

Is it that you dont believe the filter can, or should go that far?
Is it about the leftover oil in the filter?
Both? Something else?

UD

Back