New truck, change oil early?

Millions sold with less than you can imagine that won't get first oil change until light comes on. Those owners won't get rid of them for hundreds of thousands of miles then buy new. I am talking construction workers, farmers etc. I would change at the normal OCI that makes you comfortable. If you normally go 5k the go 5k and if you're one that uses olm then by all means run it out. It is under warranty. Read Manual but as far as I know the only GM that mentions early first oil change is Corvette as it has a dry sump.

Toyota says 10K. I've read there is more moly and other oil conditioners in factory oil for the new engine ...

I would let it go 5K with it to let the moly & misc conditioners to do their thing.

Filter should catch the bad stuff.

I would have changed already
750 -1000 then at 3000

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
I would have changed at 100, 200, 500, 1000, 2000 miles already by now. You can never be too safe.

"Like"

You're exactly right, can't be too safe !

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I would have changed at 100, 200, 500, 1000, 2000 miles already by now. You can never be too safe.

"Like"

Oh yes you can! Ridiculous.

My first two changes on the F-150 were at 2666, and 5150 miles. My next two were at 8915 and 14.089. Will keep doing 5K OCI's. Engine uses no oil.

CHANGE IT!

I changed mine in my Suburban at 1000 miles. There was noticeable very fine metal in the oil.

1. Get the break in oil/metal out, which also is high in silicone from sealers and stuff.
2. Get to run the oil and filter combo YOU want.

Originally Posted by zfasts03
CHANGE IT!

I changed mine in my Suburban at 1000 miles. There was noticeable very fine metal in the oil.

1. Get the break in oil/metal out, which also is high in silicone from sealers and stuff.

That pretty much mirrors my thoughts. Then for fun get a UOA of the 1,000 mile FF run. Post it saying the engine has 50K miles on it and the oil was in use for 5K miles. Odds are many of the replies will be very interesting, some giving the engine last rights................

Originally Posted by zfasts03
CHANGE IT!

Interesting that your filter didn't catch visible metal pieces!

Look at the drain oil in the drain pan in the bright sunlight, you'll see very fine metallic particles.

I have noticed this pretty much with all new engines, first oil change.

I am always happy to get that OUT!

Me too. If anyone thinks that the oil is good for longer service, I'll be happy to bottle it up, send it to them for free, and they can pour it in their new vehicle.

Originally Posted by supton
I usually do what is in the manual, which has been either 5k or 10k.

This being a light truck engine though, it might be on the fragile side, so an early OCI is probably best.

I used to subscribe to changing at 1500-3000 miles, but the last few new vehicles I've had I have followed the manufacture's recommendation which, in most cases, has been 5k. In my experience so far, the engines seem to run better based on mpg, etc if I do that. It is hard to resist the early change though because my grandfather and dad were mechanics and that's what I did before in the 80's and 90's. But now, with all the advancements in metallurgy, engine design, filters and oil, I think it is best just to follow the recommendations. It has been just fine in my experience anyway, and probably even beneficial.

Originally Posted by madeej11
Originally Posted by hallstevenson

"Like"

Oh yes you can! Ridiculous.

It's cheap insurance. Better to get the wear metals out sooner, isn't that the thinking ?

We-all seem to have a different viewpoint on this. I installed a magnetic oil pan plug on the new'ish Kia last oil change @ 2.5k. Using the dealer's Total Quartz Syn-Blend 5w20 and I'll drain it next month at 5.5k.
Will I see any shiny, silvery-stuff on the plug?........ I dunno.

What about brass/bronze and aluminium. Most prominent wear metals that magnets don't seem to pick up. Once you are down to the ferrous metals, it's too late.

I thought oil filters were for screening these metals as evident by pictures of cut-open filters. Anything small enough to get by the filter is probably too small to cause any harm. I guess BITOG'ers don't trust their oil filters.

Back