New truck, change oil early?

Bought my first brand new truck since 1988 recently. Got a 2020 Silverado with the 5.3L AFM engine. I've read all sorts of recommendations about when to change the original oil. Closing in on 2k miles. What say ye?

Dont own a GM but I can give you an example of what I did when my Ford was new. 1st change was @ 3k, 2nd was @ 5k and future oil changes will be all @ 5k with a full synthetic. Air and cabin filter @ 20k. Spark plugs are planned @ 75k. Because of COVID I work from home and have been told it "may be" for the rest of my employment. My OCI could possibly turn in to once a year.
Driving style I would probably say is severe since its city driving, if not city driving its towing something, either a boat or a trailer full of off road vehicles, gear and 6 people, dusty or muddy roads and my driveway / easement and other friends and family also live on dirt roads. Ford recommends 5w20, Im in Florida so I have chosen 5w30 and have in my other Fords for the last 25 years. Hope this helps.

Congratulations … Change it and then run what OCI you plan to run …

I have owned 2 of these engines and all the gens before … those liners will shed some iron …

Last edited:
I usually do what is in the manual, which has been either 5k or 10k.

This being a light truck engine though, it might be on the fragile side, so an early OCI is probably best.

Originally Posted by Slick17601
I always change a new vehicle around 1,000 miles.

Same. Although on my previous Mazda I went 4k on the OE fill. Didn't seem to make a difference but I'd rather drain the OE fill out no longer than 1k miles.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
I would have changed at 100, 200, 500, 1000, 2000 miles already by now. You can never be too safe.

Not reasonable at all, one change at 1000 miles is enough, anything thats going to cause any real damage will get caught and pulled out by the filter within the first 1000 miles

2006 3500 Chev LT 6.6L LBZ @ 3,000 highway miles.
2011 2500 GMC SLE 6.6L LML @ 400 miles. The truck was over a year old from its build date.
2018 3500 Chev HC 6.6L L5P @ 500 highway miles.
2013 GMC 1500 SLT 5.3L @ 2,000 miles.
2X 2013 Toyota Matrix, drained the 0w20 when I got them home. (10w30 Duron, later 15w40)

Approaching 2K miles. I would have dumped it already. So in answer to your question, dump it.

I think it's just a waste of money to dump it early. But it's your money so do what you want.

Originally Posted by rainman49
Bought my first brand new truck since 1988 recently. Got a 2020 Silverado with the 5.3L AFM engine. I've read all sorts of recommendations about when to change the original oil. Closing in on 2k miles. What say ye?

Been driving since 1969. I always change new vehicle oil at 3K. It's better to let the engine break-in a little first. At 3K, it gets it's first taste of full synthetic.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
I would have changed at 100, 200, 500, 1000, 2000 miles already by now. You can never be too safe.

Got to be kidding.
Originally Posted by rainman49

2k-2.5k would be fine. The engine is not going to self destruct even if you took it a little farther.

Last edited:
Back