Prestone Asian power steering fluid and brake fluid for Honda Accord.

Stopped by AZ to browse. They have Prestone Asian formula power steering fluid (lists Honda on the label). Also saw various brake fluids including Pentosin (I think I spelled that right?). Would these fluids be as good and /or better than oem Honda dealership fluids to do turkey baster fluid changes?

Honda PSF is cheap enough on Ebay/Amazon/discount Honda Dealers online, that I see no reason to go elsewhere. Prestone may be great stuff, if so, evidence would be welcome. Im sure its easier to get and somewhat cheaper...

I run Pentosin and ATE brake fluids in my Euro cars, but have also run a lot of Prestone and Valvoline DOT 4 in various applications. For Hondas, Ive stuck with Honda brake fluid, because I thought there were issues a few years ago with Honda and Toyota brake systems with other fluids. Seems contrary to what Id expect for something as simple and consistent with brake fluid. But I havent used much yet...

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Honda PSF is cheap enough on Ebay/Amazon/discount Honda Dealers online, that I see no reason to go elsewhere. Prestone may be great stuff, if so, evidence would be welcome. Im sure its easier to get and somewhat cheaper...

I run Pentosin and ATE brake fluids in my Euro cars, but have also run a lot of Prestone and Valvoline DOT 4 in various applications. For Hondas, Ive stuck with Honda brake fluid, because I thought there were issues a few years ago with Honda and Toyota brake systems with other fluids. Seems contrary to what Id expect for something as simple and consistent with brake fluid. But I havent used much yet...

The prestone powersteering fluid is pretty expensive it's like $7 for a 12oz bottle, it's actually cheaper to buy OE Honda, I used the prestone stuff in my mother's odyssey when I switched out the fluid a few months ago, it works well enough I guess, not sure there's any reason to use it over the Honda. When I looked at the prestone SDS though it appears to be about half PAO mied with hydrocracked mineral oil so it may be more durable than the Honda fluid.

Originally Posted by blufeb95

The prestone powersteering fluid is pretty expensive it's like $7 for a 12oz bottle, it's actually cheaper to buy OE Honda, I used the prestone stuff in my mother's odyssey when I switched out the fluid a few months ago, it works well enough I guess, not sure there's any reason to use it over the Honda. When I looked at the prestone SDS though it appears to be about half PAO mied with hydrocracked mineral oil so it may be more durable than the Honda fluid.

What objective evidence do we have that durability of Honda PSF is an issue, or that oxidation is an issue?

PAO as the end all be all is a wife's tale.

I see no reason not to use Honda OE fluid based on internet horror stories about using the wrong stuff in Hondas, true or wive's tale I can't say because I've never used anything else

Brake fluid, however, I've used Autozone brand, Honda, Prestone and maybe one more over the years and never a problem there

Power Steering
Compatible aftermarket PS fluid will work fine. In this case, Prestone Asian has the advantage of being available locally, but it usually costs more than Honda fluid. I currently use Lucas because new Honda fluid did not solve my notchy steering issue but Lucas did. Whatever you choose, just make sure the bottle directly states that it is compatible with Honda.

Brake
Any DOT 3, 4, or 5.1 will work fine in a Honda. I currently use Prestone DOT 3. DO NOT use DOT 5

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blufeb95

What objective evidence do we have that durability of Honda PSF is an issue, or that oxidation is an issue?

PAO as the end all be all is a wife's tale.

I like it, I love it, I want.....
+1

Since Prestone stopped making their Honda-specific power steering fluid, they want you to use the Asian fluid at double the price
mad.gif

Napa has Idemitsu PSF for less than $4 a bottle. Occasionally, their house brand Honda PSF is even less when on sale. Pep Boys, AAP, and Pep Boys also carry Honda-specific fluids on sale a few times a year.

There is nothing wrong with Pentosin LV brake fluid. It is a great choice. However, the brand you use isn't as important as changing it regularly. Honda says every 3 years, but you can probably get away with flushing it when you replace the pads and rotors. Most cars never get their brake fluid flushed and go to the junkyard on their original fluid.

I've always used Valvoline brake fluid, from back when they had a 'Synpower' one to their current Dot 3/4 stuff. Honda OEM for the PSF. I just like to settle on one thing that works across all my vehicles and then stick with it unless there is a specific performance need that I need to address with a different fluid.

Back