Looks Like Mitsubishi is Done in the US

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Rumors have been around about Mitsubishi leaving the US market for at least 10 years. Here's an article from 2010: https://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/26/report-mitsubishi-looking-to-claw-back-to-100-000-sales-in-u-s/

I'll believe it when they actually announce it. Its a shame Mitsubishi doesn't improve the quality of their vehicles. They make some nice looking vehicles here and there.

Actually mostly they're good quality as far as being reliable. It's the cheap fit and finish and complete lack of modern refinement that makes them ranging from bland to awful..
Mitsubishi vehicles were sold here in Canada in the 1970s as rebadged Dodges and Plymouths. The Dodge Colt was a great little car - it compared favourably to the other small imports of the day, and was way better than the Pinto or Vega. The Mitsu-built Plymouth Cricket replaced the Brit Hillman-built version, and was way more reliable.

Quality seemed to drop off in the '80s - the Mitsu 2.6 and 3.0 l engines used in the Chrysler minivans were a disaster. The 2.6 had frequent timing-chain issues, and the 3-litres were oil burners.

Mitsubishi finally set up dealerships here in Canada under their own banner in the early 2000s - perhaps 2003 or so. They are relatively rare, but I think fairly well regarded.

In all fairness, there's really nothing WRONG with Mitsu's. Yes, the Mirage is terrible. Then again so is the Chevy spark, Ford Fiesta, Nissan Versa, and almost any other low low priced sub-compact on the market. That being said, I've driven several Mirage's and they actually aren't bad for what they are. I would NEVER own one, let alone one with the automatic, but that pretty much applies to any sub-compact. When you're working with ~80 horsepower at the wheels, you need all the control you can get over engine speed.

The rest of their line is definitely a joke. Quality wise, they actually build a decent vehicle. Unfortunately, low demand equals low amounts of R&D. That's why Mitsu's look like they're straight out of 2010:.. they are. Sure, a few LED lights here and a new stereo there, but for the most part their model line has stagnated for years. There's just no reason for them to invest in a market that sells a tiny fraction of units compared to global sales.

It would probably be for the best if they DID leave the market. Sure, a few dealers would close, but so what? They'll be converted into another brand and the sales people will get hired back on for the new business. Parts supply won't be an issue, they build and sell the exact same models elsewhere. Heck, you can still get parts for SAAB's at the old dealerships, and a real SAAB hasn't been sold in America for 8 years.

The Outlander/Sport was actually pretty good when they came out with the redesign, I would actually consider one if I knew all their dealerships were competent.

Originally Posted by Pew
The Outlander/Sport was actually pretty good when they came out with the redesign, I would actually consider one if I knew all their dealerships were competent.

I had a rental 2020 Outlander Sport. It was actually not bad besides the engine. That engine rivals the VW 2.SLOW in power. And in return it eats gas because it takes so much throttle to do anything.

Mitsubishi has or had the problem that plagued many automakers from the past, they don't have much of a selection. The mirage is very basic transportation, the SUV's they sell seem somewhat popular in Colorado. Everyone that I see with one says they really like their vehicle but wondered if it was too little too late.

[Linked Image from cdn.motor1.com]

https://www.motor1.com/news/427555/mitsubishi-4000gt-sports-car-rendering/

Last edited:
Mitsubishi isn't even in the top 30 brands in the US for quality.

Actually they are #20

[Linked Image from jdpower.com]

Now you've done it … members will see where their stuff is and then attack JDP 🦅

Originally Posted by parimento1
I would take a Mitsubishi over a Chrysler or GM product any day. Let the flames begin lol.

Send pictures of that purchase and then this post is above worthless …

Originally Posted by PimTac
Mitsubishi could stop making vehicles tomorrow and it won't even scratch the behemoth that it is.

Absolutely! They're a massive industrial conglomerate that just happens to dabble in the automotive market.

I never understand the celebrations and when the "good riddance" refrains come when someone closes a buisness. Even if you happen to hate Mitsubishi, or any other brand, don't people realize competition is good?

More competition inevitibly means more choices, more competitive pricing and more innovations. It also means more jobs. Why can't some people get this?

The wife's had a Dodge ( mitsu) Colt before we were married. I think it was a 1976.

She decided to sell it in 1991 with 168000 miles on it. It was a wide ratio 4 speed MT. My Co worker wanted it for commuting to work ( instead of using the Ram 2500 all the time) So I serviced it. It never had the valves adjusted so I popped off the rocker cover after buying a new gasket. It didn't even need a gasket ! I think it was a bead ring and it was still pliable! Checked the valves ( IIRC this had 2 intake valves, a small one with a pre-charge poppet for the lean burn) And all the valve lash was in spec!. The engine always returned over 40 MPG.

This biggest issue with the Dodge was rust. and paper thin sheet metal.

Compare this to Her next 1991 Honda Civic that she bought that lasted only two years. Other than the chassis - almost everything was defective or broke on that thing - including the engine. That had a lot off clatter and I went to adjust the valves and I couldn't get a consistent lash.
Turns out all the rocker arms were worn at their pivots - they had about 30 deg side to side slop. Only 50k miles.

The clutch was clunking and had mystery or abrupt engagement from about 10k miles onward.

Then the Distributor cap ( Coil under cap design) was always arcing and causing misfiring and cross-firing - the new service parts were defective from the Honda dealer too, with cracks (meld lines) from the rotor tab to at least 2 other cylinders. This eventually killed the catalytic converter; that thing melted down into a lump and was rattling in the converter can like lumps of coal. The Honda dealer would do nothing under warranty

We traded that Honda Junkpile for a Subaru Loyale sedan 1.8 MT - that was also sorta junky - read this comment as Japanese market dumping - but much more pleasant all around.

So - A lot of brands thought of as GOLD make absolute GARBAGE.

Mitsubishi small engine engine = 5 stars - Honda engine = 1 star.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by itguy08

Actually they are #20

Not according to CR. JD Power is a marketing company.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
I never understand the celebrations and when the "good riddance" refrains come when someone closes a buisness. Even if you happen to hate Mitsubishi, or any other brand, don't people realize competition is good?

More competition inevitibly means more choices, more competitive pricing and more innovations. It also means more jobs. Why can't some people get this?

Yes, this and even for an import brand there are countless 'multiplier' jobs in everything from the importation through recycling of the cars...

Originally Posted by itguy08

Actually they are #20

My takeaway?

Go Land Rover! Its all upside from here!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
The wife's had a Dodge ( mitsu) Colt before we were married. I think it was a 1976.

She decided to sell it in 1991 with 168000 miles on it. It was a wide ratio 4 speed MT. My Co worker wanted it for commuting to work ( instead of using the Ram 2500 all the time) So I serviced it. It never had the valves adjusted so I popped off the rocker cover after buying a new gasket. It didn't even need a gasket ! I think it was a bead ring and it was still pliable! Checked the valves ( IIRC this had 2 intake valves, a small one with a pre-charge poppet for the lean burn) And all the valve lash was in spec!. The engine always returned over 40 MPG.

This biggest issue with the Dodge was rust. and paper thin sheet metal.

Compare this to Her next 1991 Honda Civic that she bought that lasted only two years. Other than the chassis - almost everything was defective or broke on that thing - including the engine. That had a lot off clatter and I went to adjust the valves and I couldn't get a consistent lash.
Turns out all the rocker arms were worn at their pivots - they had about 30 deg side to side slop. Only 50k miles.

The clutch was clunking and had mystery or abrupt engagement from about 10k miles onward.

Then the Distributor cap ( Coil under cap design) was always arcing and causing misfiring and cross-firing - the new service parts were defective from the Honda dealer too, with cracks (meld lines) from the rotor tab to at least 2 other cylinders. This eventually killed the catalytic converter; that thing melted down into a lump and was rattling in the converter can like lumps of coal. The Honda dealer would do nothing under warranty

We traded that Honda Junkpile for a Subaru Loyale sedan 1.8 MT - that was also sorta junky - read this comment as Japanese market dumping - but much more pleasant all around.

So - A lot of brands thought of as GOLD make absolute GARBAGE.

Mitsubishi small engine engine = 5 stars - Honda engine = 1 star.

Our 92 Mitsu had the 1.8 four banger in it. That car served two families for around 300,000 miles before the transmission finally conked out. That was a real nice motor.

Not according to CR. JD Power is a marketing company.

Yes, according to CR too.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...iability-study-2020-vehicles/2578463001/

How automotive brands ranked for reliability:
Lexus
Mazda
Toyota
Porsche
Genesis
Hyundai
Subaru
Dodge
Kia