Under the rocker cover TR4.

Uh, no, not a TR4, maybe a Standard Vanguard...or a Leyland 20 ? Oh, it's another use of this engine, Massey Ferguson, a 135 in this case. the sludge is mainly water, pretty common in engines of this era - someone has blanked off the breather into the rocker cover.

Can't clean that up, it'll block the pickup screen ! No, we got that covered...the pickup is inside a cover. These engines were designed to be maintained forever. The pickup screen wasn't blocked, but gave it a clean. VERY sludgy inside, scooped it all down the drain hole. I'll let it drain over the weekend.

First Time I've seen a Lucas distributor with a ball bearing...but the shaft is worn at the bottom, trying for a used dist. Got to rebuild the carb too, got a kit coming for that.

IMG_20200619_115614.jpg

IMG_20200619_132125.jpg

IMG_20200619_155803.jpg

IMG_20200619_132057.jpg

IMG_20200619_132107.jpg

IMG_20200619_115651.jpg

No draft tube? The Chevy 235 53-63 was another sludge monster. the breather would sludge up. Sonny would take off the tube , soak it in the gas bucket an light on fire on the gravel while I removed sludge from the rockers and valve cover. What a mess.
grin2.gif

I often joke about the BMC B series engine(as used in the MGA and MGB among others) being a tractor engine, but I don't think it was ever actually used in a production tractor. It's nice to see that the Triumph engine can quite literally claim to be one
smile.gif
-more fuel for the MG-Triumph rivalry.

Of course, I'd better watch it since there's a beautiful +4 that I've been talking to a local shop now for about 5 years(they've never priced it to me, but I think he's ready to move it) and I'm 99% sure it's one that has a Triumph engine.

The Nuffield tractor had a 3 cyl diesel, or at least the ones I've seen have been. Although I do remember an old Nuffield that had a sidevalve 4 cyl petrol engine, so not under the BMC banner.

The sump is specific for the tractor of course. Standard built the engine for Massey Ferguson, but for their own use in mind too - the Phase One Standard Vanguard came out in 1947, the same year as the tractor. My experience of these engines was in another application. As an apprentice one of our customers had a fleet of Leyland 20 vans that we used to look after, fitted with the larger version of the Vanguard engine. So instead of standing next to an engine fully exposed like this, I was on my knees head down working on the engine. And then of course it was used in the TR Triumphs...but here in NZ they weren't as common as the Vanguard or Leyland 20.

The PCV is a pipe from the rocker cover into the intake manifold, there is a jet on the banjo fitting....someone has put a splitpin in it, and not as a jiggle valve, it's blocking it off. I'll have to see how it runs to see why. It is in for not starting and fuel running out the carb, but of course we need to look at the ignition as well...and we figured the tappets haven't been set for a couple of decades, or more. Carb kit is not a problem, our tractor parts supply lists one. Dist could be tricky, but sure to be one around.

Here is a Leyland 20, or 15, and a Phase 1 Van guard.

[Linked Image from britishtelephones.com]

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

So, what shall I put in it ? Between our bulk oils - Delvac MX 15W-40, or Repsol 10w-40 A3/B4. Both are stout oils and able to take the obvious customer neglect...I'm leaning to the Repsol.

So is that a Continental engine? Never looked close at a 135 but it looks odd with that screen on that series. Is it a USA made one or England made? I had thought they went to the Perkins gas engines by then anyways.

Originally Posted by Silk
Standard built the engine for Massey Ferguson, but for their own use in mind too - the Phase One Standard Vanguard came out in 1947, the same year as the tractor. My experience of these engines was in another application. As an apprentice one of our customers had a fleet of Leyland 20 vans that we used to look after, fitted with the larger version of the Vanguard engine. So instead of standing next to an engine fully exposed like this, I was on my knees head down working on the engine. And then of course it was used in the TR Triumphs...but here in NZ they weren't as common as the Vanguard or Leyland 20.

Standard built the engine for Massey Ferguson, but for their own use in mind too - the Phase One Standard Vanguard came out in 1947, the same year as the tractor. My experience of these engines was in another application. As an apprentice one of our customers had a fleet of Leyland 20 vans that we used to look after, fitted with the larger version of the Vanguard engine. So instead of standing next to an engine fully exposed like this, I was on my knees head down working on the engine. And then of course it was used in the TR Triumphs...but here in NZ they weren't as common as the Vanguard or Leyland 20.

Ah, I misread the first sentence. The head looks like a Continental engine so that had me confused. They must have been making these in a third place than the US and England tractors.

Back