Acura with the 3.5L, what is "excessive oil consumption"?

I got my 2000 Honda CR-V, (AWD and 5-speed manual), at 201k miles. Put Pennzoil SRT 0w40 as first oil change, and between 201k and 206k I ended up adding another 17 quarts of oil, due to oil consumption. Then added 1qt of Marvel Mystery Oil, and did not have to add any oil since then. 212Kmiles now, oil stays at the level that I fill it up to throughout the full oil change interval. Worth a shot at less than $4 per quart from Wal-Mart. And if it does not help - your engine is at least a little cleaner inside. But I guess since you took a pass on that Acura - this trick can wait for another oil burner.

Burned 17 quarts in 5k and MMO fixed it completely ?

I'm sure MMO would want to know this …

That engine in question was severely used and abused too use/burn one quart in 500 miles. I would pass on it also -- greatly considering -- would not want it to leave my child stranded on the side of the road "anytime!!" My TL in signature uses no oil in 5000 mile intervals. Honda/Acura have darn good engines if treated properly -- just like most any other manufacturers engines for the most part.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Maybe I'm old school, but with that many miles I would keep adding oil every 500 miles until she will not go anymore. I kept an old Nova's V8 going for quite a few miles back in the day that burned oil quite a bit faster than 500 miles. It was still running when I eventually junked it.

I think it's more of a big deal on most modern vehicles. The Nova could run a long time that way, change the spark plugs in an hour whenever needed. Modern cars will foul the cats, o2 sensors and the spark plugs which could be a much more involved job on a modern V6 in a tight engine compartment.

My 05 Silverado uses a qt every 2k miles (some of which is actually leaked from the rear main seal) and I still have to clean a couple spark plugs from valve seal deposits every 20k miles or less. Luckily it's easy on the truck. Hasn't affected the original cats or o2 sensors at this rate of consumption though.

Back