CRV O2

So I had the CRV inspected yesterday, and while it passed they said it had a pending code, P0134. That comes up as low or no activity on upstream O2 sensor. After digging around I found an Android and my Elm327 adapter and "scanned" it. This time it came up as a fault but not under pending--yet the money light is off. Hrm.

I haven't used Torq in a few years but apparently the last time I did I turned on the O2 sensors so I was able to (poorly) overlay them. I would have guessed 1x1 was first sensor and 1x2 was second? That seems wrong. I would have expected wide swing on the first (unless if it was lazy--which fits the code)--or if the second was wide swing then that would say I have a dead cat. Am I just reading this wrong? Trying to diagnose this a bit better before I just toss an O2 sensor at it.

[Linked Image]

I plan on changing the upstream O2 sensor every 60 K miles on my 2016 CR-V to protect the cat. I know they ain't cheap at around $360, but the cat probably cost a heck of a lot more. And I am not 100 % sure, but I think if the O2 sensor goes bad there is also the possibility of it causing the engine to run lean enough to cause engine damage.

OP, is it still the original sensor at 161 K?

I did not see it show up in the service records so I would assume that it is original at 161k. I don't know if Torq can log fast enough to show if it is lazy or not?

I saw a Denso on Amazon for like $125, haven't started shopping yet, but I'm guessing that is about as good as the price gets. I would ASSUME Denso is fine for this application too.

Vehicle lived in the 'burbs and saw lots of short tripping IMO. Lots of trips just long enough to get heat out of the heater core.

Originally Posted by supton
I did not see it show up in the service records so I would assume that it is original at 161k. I don't know if Torq can log fast enough to show if it is lazy or not?

I saw a Denso on Amazon for like $125, haven't started shopping yet, but I'm guessing that is about as good as the price gets. I would ASSUME Denso is fine for this application too.

Vehicle lived in the 'burbs and saw lots of short tripping IMO. Lots of trips just long enough to get heat out of the heater core.

You better do some research about counterfeit auto parts. Sometimes if a price sounds too good to be true it just may be. There have been some post here on BITOG about counterfeit auto parts and some of the places that they are sold are the online outlets like e-bay and Amazon. With the possible damage a bad O2 sensor can cause you want to be sure you are buying one that is reliable.

Maybe some other people here on BITOG can add more knowledge about what would be the lowest cost brand and source for an O2 sensor for a 2003 CRV with a 2.4 L engine, and still be good quality?

Last edited:
Quick look shows that $125 or so is going rate at Ebay and Amazon for Denso 234-9005. Ironically it's $45 at AAP or AZ! I haven't gotten far enough to see what the OEM part is nor the OEM price.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
I plan on changing the upstream O2 sensor every 60 K miles on my 2016 CR-V to protect the cat. I know they ain't cheap at around $360, but the cat probably cost a heck of a lot more. And I am not 100 % sure, but I think if the O2 sensor goes bad there is also the possibility of it causing the engine to run lean enough to cause engine damage.

OP, is it still the original sensor at 161 K?

Why is that O2 sensor $360?!? Seems way out of line. Is there some special attribute?

I looked at the price about 2 weeks ago on a Honda genuine parts web site, and if I remember correctly a couple of others were a little less, but not much. I guess I will have to look some more.

BTW, there are some YouTube videos on how to change it. Along with a special 6 point socket that has a slot for the pigtail, one trick is to put penetrating oil on it the day before, and then right before you change it run the engine for only one minute. The person who made that video said the relatively thin exhaust heats up much faster than the thicker housing of the O2 sensor, therefore the hole the O2 sensor is installed in expands more than the sensor making it easier to remove the sensor.
They said they had 4 of them to do and one would not come loose, so they tried the penetrating oil the day before and then the one minute run and the tough one came loose.

Last edited:
I just looked on some of the online Honda parts stores and there prices range form $160.93 to $179.61

I do not remember where I saw $360, maybe that was on one of the Honda forums, and included having a dealer do it. I do not remember for sure, but I do remember I saw it and a few price near that amount, but again that could have been on a Honda forum, and could have included having a dealer do it.

I guess I remembered incorrectly where I had seen it a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:
Quick look shows that $125 or so is going rate at Ebay and Amazon for Denso 234-9005. Ironically it's $45 at AAP or AZ! I haven't gotten far enough to see what the OEM part is nor the OEM price.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,2003,cr-v,2.4l+l4,1415719,exhaust+&+emission,oxygen+(o2)+sensor,5132

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,2003,cr-v,2.4l+l4,1415719,exhaust+&+emission,oxygen+(o2)+sensor,5132

Wow do they have prices all over the place!

Generally, the upstream sensors are much more expensive as they're a heated 5 wire wideband A/F sensor as opposed to a narrowband sensor like downstream ones are. So about $100 ea give or take.

I've been putting off doing mine since I've got 2-Upstream and 2-Downstream on both cars...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ctechbob
Generally, the upstream sensors are much more expensive as they're a heated 5 wire wideband A/F sensor as opposed to a narrowband sensor like downstream ones are. So about $100 ea give or take.

I've been putting off doing mine since I've got 2-Upstream and 2-Downstream on both cars...

I change the upstream ones at about the 80k or so mark, but i've never replaced downstream sensors.

I replace as they fail. I get the premise of replacing before they fail and take out a cat, but so far...
21.gif
We do log every fillup in the cars and would notice an mpg drop very quickly--pre-pandemic we would routinely fillup once a week and a drop in range would annoy us.

I dont know how to interpret the new, and now common proportional wideband O2 sensors.

I assume this engine has a traditional (garbage ) step function lambda sensor.

Back