3.0L V6 Accord 2006. M1 5w20 6500miles. Driven Hard.

This is a Napa oil sample result, I copied the data so you don't have to download a file. No makeup oil added. Had 1 long 1500 mile road trip. The rest mostly 10-20 mile drives with little traffic. Lots of wide-open throttle. Engine seems to run very strong and on the road trip returned a best full tank of 33mpg. Usually, I get about 22 though. The oil had a strong fuel odor but TBN and viscosity look ok.

Does anyone see anything concerning? I ran the sample because the car has a short ram intake on it with a cone filter and I was curious if it was capturing dirt well enough. This car has been running Mobil 1 since it came off a lease in 2009. I refilled with M1 0w30 AFE and a bottle of Lubegard Biotech.

Miles on oil 6567
Mobil 1 SAE 5W20

Metals (ppm)
Iron (Fe) 27
Chromium (Cr) 2
Lead (Pb) 2
Copper (Cu) 2
Tin (Sn) 2
Aluminium (Al) 11
Nickel (Ni) Silver (Ag) Titanium (Ti) Vanadium (V) Contaminants (ppm)
Silicon (Si) 14
Sodium (Na) 9
Potassium (K) 2

Additives (ppm)

Magnesium (Mg) 689
Calcium (Ca) 994
Barium (Ba) Phosphorus (P) 626
Zinc (Zn) 722
Molybdenum (Mo) 76
Boron (B) 47
Contaminants
Water (%) Coolant No
Physical Tests
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 8.0
Physical / Chemical
Base Number (mgKOH/g) 3.2

Lab note;

All wear levels appear within acceptable limits for first
sample. Silicon level (dirt/sealant material) satisfactory.
Water content acceptable. Viscosity within specified
operating range. Action: As oil and filter(s) already
changed, resample at next recommended interval to
monitor and establish wear trend.

Last edited:
I think you'll find that the non-VCM J-Series motor is pretty near bulletproof if you keep up with the maintenance (Including valve adjustments/timing belt) and replace the oil pump seal when it starts to seep (it will). I'm at 230k+ on my J30A4 and it runs as well as it did the day I bought it.

Last edited:
Seems like alot of iron wear from a Honda engine. Maybe bump up to a W30?

Edit. I see you did (M1 0W30). Good move!
thumbsup2.gif

The iron numbers are higher. I saw a Blackstone result posted by another user and the average was iron 9 ppm. Aluminum was 3. Chromium 1.

I will be sticking with 30wt going forward.

I'll have to read about the oil pump seal

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gasbuggy

I'll have to read about the oil pump seal

Best to just do it when you do the timing belt. It's not a repair that will leave you stranded if you don't do it. It will just seep oil from that area. Not enough that you'd notice it in your parking spot unless you sit there and idle for long periods.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-acura-j-series-timing-belt-and-oil-pump

Double-check it, but that list of parts should be identical for your J30A5 as it is for my J30A4.

My 06 V6 has had nothing but a diet of M1 EP 5W-30 since birth. Haven't ran any analysis on it, but it runs smooth as silk. Have done two timing belt changes....the first one, well, so called "mechanic" didn't change out anything else...sure enough, leaks started at about 150K. Currently have 165K on it and recently "gave" it to my 16 year old daughter to drive. I'm driving the V6 coupe. Maybe it's me, but the 06 seems to take off quicker than the 17. But the ride in the 17 is way more comfortable.

Your 17 likely has torque management in the tune. the 06 doesn't seem too, and it has a hair-trigger on downshifts. it just wants to go, it's not fuel economy conscious at all.

Maybe that slightly high iron is just what you get when you run it hard a lot. Probably more concerning to see that number if it was babied. I'd sample again with the 30 weight and see if it makes any difference.

Silicon looks maybe slightly high but also could be just par for the course with an aftermarket filter.

This is really making me want to do my first couple UOA's. One on an old carbureted V8 that gets short tripped almost daily, occasionally driven very hard, and some longer trips, plus an old school crankcase breather and PCV system.

That and my work truck which idles a lot in dusty conditions.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Maybe that slightly high iron is just what you get when you run it hard a lot. Probably more concerning to see that number if it was babied. I'd sample again with the 30 weight and see if it makes any difference.

Silicon looks maybe slightly high but also could be just par for the course with an aftermarket filter.

This is really making me want to do my first couple UOA's. One on an old carbureted V8 that gets short tripped almost daily, occasionally driven very hard, and some longer trips, plus an old school crankcase breather and PCV system.

That and my work truck which idles a lot in dusty conditions.

That could be the case. Single UOA's are unfortunately not the best for analyzing wear. A trend is needed.

Back