Ecoboost and costco oil

Has anyone tried kirkland oil in an ecoboost motor(GDI Twin Turbo)? Ive got one with 160k miles and Im really considering it but I know we are all oil snobs here.

Ecoboost engines only require oils rated for API 'SN'. Nothing more. I'm sure the Costco oil meets this spec so it will be fine.

Costco/Kirkland oil will be just fine for any EcoBoost. For that matter, I've run Harvest King (cheaper than both Kirkland and Supertech) in EcoBoost engines without issue.

Anything labeled API SN is fine. I'd be much more concerned with the interval and operating conditions than the specific oil or filter.

Been running Supertech HM synthetic (most likely same as KS) for a few years in my 138k Ecoboost 3.5 without issue. Still runs great. I'd say use without hesitation.

We're all oil snobs here? I guess I missed the notice.

There's a few threads about costco oil. It appears to have good certifications and come from a known distributor. Give it a shot.

Originally Posted by nlife

There's a few threads about costco oil. It appears to have good certifications and come from a known distributor. Give it a shot.

Well perhaps Im the only one! Haha

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Ecoboost engines only require oils rated for API 'SN'. Nothing more. I'm sure the Costco oil meets this spec so it will be fine.

No its also rated D1G2

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Okcafe

Well perhaps Im the only one! Haha

There's a lot of folks here that will use any oil that they can get for the cheapest price as long as it meets their vehicle specification. The Costco oil - from Warren Distribution - has a number of certifications that exceed the EB specs so it'll be fine to run.

I'd give it a shot, but I managed to pick up a BUNCH of Pennzoil Platinum for considerably cheaper than I can get the Kirkland oil for in my area. They both carry Ford spec, they have SN-Plus designation and are d1G2 certified.

For example,

I picked up 4 jugs of Pennzoil Platinum for $12 CAD per 5L jug.
Costco is currently selling their Kirkland oil for $21.49 CAD per 4.73L jug in my area.

Don't get me wrong the Costco oil is a good price, but it's just not as good of a value as the oil I got on sale with the same spec's. Given that my 3.5EB f150 takes 6L of oil per change and that they recommend 16,000km (10K mile) oil change intervals, I'm good for the very near future and beyond.

I'm certainly going to watch for the UOA on Kirkland oil with EB engines and see how it performs. If it offers an advantage, I'll switch. If not, I'll keep on running what I have.

Again, give it a go and report back.

Neil

I miss Chevron Supreme. Costco has no room for it now that Kirkland took over ...

If I had a gdi turbo, I would use something thicker that Kirkland has to offer. I haven't seen any Kirkland thicker than xW20.

My local Costco now carries the Kirkland 0w-20 and 5w-30 full syn. As my stash depletes, I'll prolly backfill with these 2 oils. I have Ford engines that take the 20 weight and an ecoboost that would use the 30 weight... I don't have any concerns with either for normal OCIs...

I am a snob for a good value. So Kirkwood, ST, AmazonBasics ... top picks for me!

Costco is currently selling their Kirkland oil for $21.49 CAD per 4.73L jug in my area.
Neil

Costco sells their oil in boxes with 2 5 quart containers in the US. Is this not true in Canada?

Im very glad to get this response. Ill share my blackstone report when the time comes. Its not my daily driver so it will be a while.

I don't use Kirkland, but I do regularly use ST FS 5w30 which I think is the same oil. I change the MC filter every 10k miles, and I do a drain and fill every ~3300 miles in what I like to think is a good faith effort at attempted continual soot removal. If anyone can comment on whether or not that's a foolish thought process, let me have it.

I just traded in my 2011 Ecoboost with 138k miles for a 2015 Ecoboost with 89k miles, and I plan to keep the same regimen. I've read many other posts on here with another member having multiple troubles with Ecoboost engines and strongly advocating for using thicker oils to prevent timing component wear, but I have not adopted this strategy myself. There was no chain slap in my 2011 before trading it in, and it towed 5000lbs every weekend from late spring to early fall. The 2015 will be sentenced to the same duty with the same oil.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by hallstevenson

No its also rated D1G2

Has nothing to do with Ecoboost engines.

Back