Fram XG10575 Good Replacement for AC Delco PF63?

Fram PH10575 originally had a 9-15 PSI black bypass poppet. GM owners requiring AC Delco PF48 sometimes chose PH10575 as a longer version of PH10060, the "official" PF48 replacement. Fram then redesigned the PH10575 with a 16-28 PSI white bypass poppet so it could replace AC Delco PF63, which has 22 PSI bypass. They instructed PH10575 users to move to the shorter PH10060.

Does the wide bypass range of the redesigned PH10575 seem suspicious? Did Fram redesign this filter properly so that it actually matches the 22 PSI specification of AC Delco PF63? Would anyone have reservations about installing a Fram XG10575 (Ultra Synthetic) in an application calling for AC Delco PF63?

The original PF63 has a 12psi specification. The redesigned PF63E is 22psi. The PF63E and the XG10575 are basically the same price and both easy to find. I would use the ACDelco PF63E just to know that I am using the recommended filter and there is no question on compatibility. FRAM doesn't list the psi spec of the XG10575 on their website, which is kind of concerning since most other mainstream aftermarket parts companies typically do.

Originally Posted by ryster
I would use the ACDelco PF63E just to know that I am using the recommended filter and there is no question on compatibility.
Yes, I'm leaning that way also, but aside from the bypass ambiguity, doesn't the XG10575 offer superior construction?
FRAM doesn't list the psi spec of the XG10575 on their website, which is kind of concerning since most other mainstream aftermarket parts companies typically do.
Yes, I also found that very concerning. Do you believe Wix WL10255 is superior to PF63E?

The XG10575 might be better constructed, but I have serious doubts the bypass is rated at 22psi. A Google search indicates that the last time that FRAM listed the bypass psi, they indicated 16psi so it may be slightly lower than the 22psi recommended by GM for the PF63E applications.

The Wix WL10255 is rated for 22psi, so it meets that spec. Wix filters are typically well built and I would use one in my Chevy if I couldn't find an ACDelco PF63E.

The ACDelco is perfectly fine if you are following a 5,000-7,500 mile interval.

If you are following a 10,000-15,000 mile extended interval, then it probably would be better to use something other than the ACDelco. I wouldn't trust the ACDelco for that kind of interval. The Wix WL10255XP meets the 22psi spec and has synthetic media. The Mobil1 M1-212A would be another good choice if running an extended interval, and it has a bypass pressure that exceeds the 22psi spec that GM calls for.

Yes, the OCI will not exceed the miles you mentioned, but it will exceed the time duration over which a typical driver would drive those miles. Any problems leaving an AC Delco installed a long time on an infrequently driven vehicle?
The Wix WL10255 is rated for 22psi, so it meets that spec. Wix filters are typically well built and I would use one in my Chevy if I couldn't find an ACDelco PF63E.
So you don't think Wix offers a better value than AC Delco?
The Wix WL10255XP meets the 22psi spec and has synthetic media. The Mobil1 M1-212A would be another good choice if running an extended interval, and it has a bypass pressure that exceeds the 22psi spec that GM calls for.
I've seen concerns about reported low efficiency of Wix XP filters. Do you feel Wix XP or M1 offers a better value than AC Delco?

The Fram PH/XG 12060 is the Correct bypass replacement for PH10060. I would just use the spec filter that is shorter with the correct bypass. I picked up ACDelco pf64 at walmart for my next OCI since there was a $1.50 rebate. Standard Champion e-core construction. I could not find the Fram Ultra at my local walmart, only the extra guard. Extra guard is still probably better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by haggler
I picked up ACDelco pf64 at walmart for my next OCI since there was a $1.50 rebate.
Thanks, I was not aware of the current rebate offer.
Originally Posted by haggler
Extra guard is still probably better.
Better than what?

Originally Posted by viscous
Fram PH10575 originally had a 9-15 PSI black bypass poppet. GM owners requiring AC Delco PF48 sometimes chose PH10575 as a longer version of PH10060, the "official" PF48 replacement. Fram then redesigned the PH10575 with a 16-28 PSI white bypass poppet so it could replace AC Delco PF63, which has 22 PSI bypass. They instructed PH10575 users to move to the shorter PH10060.

Does the wide bypass range of the redesigned PH10575 seem suspicious? Did Fram redesign this filter properly so that it actually matches the 22 PSI specification of AC Delco PF63? Would anyone have reservations about installing a Fram XG10575 (Ultra Synthetic) in an application calling for AC Delco PF63?

If Fram specifies their filter for your vehicle then what's the worry. A filter bypass valve setting doesn't have to be a perfect match between filter brands because the setting depends a lot on the filter designed flow vs delta-p characteristics. If a filter is more flow restrictive then it will require a higher bypass valve setting.

FRAM doesn't list the psi spec of the XG10575 on their website, which is kind of concerning since most other mainstream aftermarket parts companies typically do.

I just looked at the XG10575 on Fram's website, and it says 16-28 psi just as the OP mentions in his first post.

22 psi is right in the middle of the 16-28 psi range. Every bypass valve has a cracking pressure and a fully opened pressure. Could be that AC Delco just reports the mid-point psi only.

Yes, the OCI will not exceed the miles you mentioned, but it will exceed the time duration over which a typical driver would drive those miles. Any problems leaving an AC Delco installed a long time on an infrequently driven vehicle?
The Wix WL10255XP meets the 22psi spec and has synthetic media. The Mobil1 M1-212A would be another good choice if running an extended interval, and it has a bypass pressure that exceeds the 22psi spec that GM calls for.
I've seen concerns about reported low efficiency of Wix XP filters. Do you feel Wix XP or M1 offers a better value than AC Delco?

For me, value is a balance of price and function. If I can pay $7 for the OEM part as opposed to $5-$7 for an after market equivalent, I am going OEM since I know it was specified for the car by the manufacturer. Now, if the OEM part was $14, and the aftermarket part was $7 then I would go with the aftermarket part provided it had similar specs to the OEM part. If there was any question at all, I would just buy the OEM part for peace of mind.

I don't think time is a consideration. If the ACDelco is used for 5,000-7,000 miles across 4 months, or 12 months, it doesn't make a difference. Any degradation (if any at all) that occurs from just sitting idle would be minimal.

For a long interval such as 10,000-15,000 miles the Wix XP or M1 would be a better value than the ACDelco (about $5 more for a filter that will be on the car longer), since the Wix XP and M1 are designed for longer intervals. From an efficiency perspective, the Wix XP has the same efficiency rating as the M1 and the ACDelco (30 microns). FRAM claims efficiency based on 20 microns, which might be better, but if you are changing the oil every 5,000-7,000 miles does it make that much of a difference? If GM is using a filter with a 30 micron efficiency that should be sufficient.

PF63E with 6k off 5.3L

AC0F00A3-8DE2-4F9E-A685-DEC401613397.jpeg

Most likely the the difference in the oil filters will never ever be noticed. Yeah there is a marketing paper about the better filter catching more and smaller crud . I doubt we will ever see the difference in real life.

The only thing to worry about an oil filter is if it fails. and causes catastrophic damage.

From an efficiency perspective, the Wix XP has the same efficiency rating as the M1 and the ACDelco (30 microns). FRAM claims efficiency based on 20 microns, which might be better, but if you are changing the oil every 5,000-7,000 miles does it make that much of a difference? If GM is using a filter with a 30 micron efficiency that should be sufficient.

Some have expressed concern about the XP filtering efficiency:

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
You don't need the "XP" version, since it doesn't filter very well. Low efficiency rating....[PF64 has] got a paper filter media, not the better glass fiber & paper blend like the Wix and Fram Racing HP18 has. Very doubtful the PF64 filters better with that design.
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
As discussed many times now, the XP/Platinum full synthetic filter has a pretty bad filtering efficiency ... only 50% @ 20 microns, while the WIX/NAPA Gold is much better at 95% @ 20 microns. If you want a good full synthetic media filter for a decent price, go with the FRAM Ultra, as it's efficiency is 99% @ 20 microns and rated to go 15,000 miles.

^^^ Must be an old post dug up since the Ultra is rated to 20K miles now.

Originally Posted by CT8

The only thing to worry about an oil filter is if it fails. and causes catastrophic damage.

^this
I have yet to hear of any cases where an engine died an early death because the filter was not efficient enough.

After all the single pass and beta data is all said and done … if they filter dirt faster than the engine makes dirt (no tears) the average car owner will never see a difference … It's a BITOG happy place … ...€

Originally Posted by 4WD
After all the single pass and beta data is all said and done … if they filter dirt faster than the engine makes dirt (no tears) the average car owner will never see a difference … It's a BITOG happy place … ...€

Not just "a happy place".
grin2.gif

Engine wear correlates to oil particle count level and how many times the sump volume is circulated with dirty oil.

More efficient filters can reduce particle count, especially in the sub 20μ particles which do the most wear. The longer the oil is ran, a more an efficient filter can lower the "PC x Miles on Oil" wear factor.

If short OCIs are done, the difference between a less vs more efficient filter becomes less noticable. If someone did 500 mile OCIs, they could probably get by with no oil filter.

Back