Yet another leaking Champion filter

This is the second leaking champion filter on my Ford F150 3.7. I will tr try to retighten tomorrow. Made in Mexico from Rockauto.

Maybe that's why it's selling for $1.47 there.
I always hand-tighten - then turn another 1/4 turn with a filter wrench. Never a leak.

My 50th Anniversary of oil changing is approaching next year. Back then, when we were always half-broke, I generally always bought those cheap Casite filters. They may have been by Champ back-then..... I dunno. My favorite oil back then was Wolfs Head.

Yup had same experience, after checking label on filter it shows one complete rotation after contact. Their tech resource shows 1/4 to 1/2 turn...almost lost an engine due to the oil loss. Sent email no reply.

I don't even tighten that tight, I spin free until it stops and give it an "oomph". Somewhere between an 1/8th and a 1/4 turn, with a lubed gasket of course. Never had a leak, even with cheap FVP filters.

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
You're not supposed to use a filter wrench for tightening filters ever.

I tighten till filter just contacts, hand tighten and as needed, use a wrench to get to 3/4 additional turn as stated on the filter. I don't see the difference in doing it by hand or a wrench to get to the needed turn specification. I never had one get stuck.

Last edited:
I use a marker on the filter , spin it on until contact. then turn 3/4 turn to 1 turn depending on filter and directions.. usually no wrench needed.

I have little grip anymore. I always use a cup adapter and a 3/8 socket, I tighten util gasket touches, then go 1/2 turn. My BMW motorcycle the filter is in a recess, and MUST be tightened with a wrench. I often use M1-102 fitlers, and never a drop of leak. I reuse crush washers too. at well over 100K and I know of those over 300K on these filters so something works.

Rod

I've had a few Wix leak on EJ subarus, and this gets oil all over the front cats and the 02 sensor.

From what I've seen on removing it, the gasket distorted and crept outward.

I also HAD to tighten with a cup wrench, but I didn't over do it.
\
Flat gasket was always lubed with fresh oil.

Then I went back to the Blue Fram-a-roo filters with the P-Gasket and never a leak.

- Ken

49.75 years of oil changes says I did it correctly using a wrench for a 1/4 turn. Never a leak and never any damage.

The Japanese seem to want that done on their service filters - be it Denso/Fram/Toyo Roki but in my almost 20 years of changing oil all the OEM filters with P-section O-rings as gaskets never leaked.

I do see a little seepage with square-cut O-rings, more so with Wix or Champ. Frams aren't terrible for that.

Wait until you become a senior citizen and it gets more difficult to hand tighten things...spin the filter until it stops, then use the filter wrench for another 1/4 turn
wink.gif

Originally Posted by gotnogunk
This is the second leaking champion filter on my Ford F150 3.7. I will tr try to retighten tomorrow. Made in Mexico from Rockauto.

Why are retrying them?

Last edited:

Its a tool. If you use it properly there will be no issue with using such a tool.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Its a tool. If you use it properly there will be no issue with using such a tool.

Yep. It might even be better than "hand tighten only".
Is that my hand or Mike Tyson's hand?

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Yep. It might even be better than "hand tighten only".
Is that my hand or Mike Tyson's hand?

Your hand. Mike Tyson's wouldn't be tight enough.

Back