Wrong Oil & Unknown Mileage - OCI

Thought I would describe the carnage that could result from using the wrong oil and service interval.

Shop Truck
2009 F150 4.6L 2V
Oil Spec: 5W-20

OCI - Every 90 days
Rotella 15W-40 (Every oil change except the initial 5,000 mi free one at the dealer).

Miles - 480,000
Internal Parts Replaced - None

Please be careful or you to could be forced to drive a no option (except hitch & cruise) Fleet Spec XL for the next 480,000 mi.

Just shows the carnage to expect on an OCI that averaged over 10,000 mi and used the wrong oil.

thumbsup2.gif

"but it's cheap insurance when I change the oil every 3000 miles"

HDEO's are the best oils on the marketl lots of miles means the engine was at operating temps most of its life and Ford makes good trucks.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Obviously, not a recipe for every engine on the road, but worked well for you.

Not my truck. Just someone I do business with.

The post was not meant as a recommendation only to poke a little fun at our sometimes excessive paranoia. Of course chicken little sometimes an asteroid really is inbound.

Last edited:
Theoretically it is proved that thicker oil is better ... Now we see one of the experimental results.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Theoretically it is proved that thicker oil is better ... Now we see one of the experimental results.

MOFT always wins.

Originally Posted by Gene K
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Obviously, not a recipe for every engine on the road, but worked well for you.

Not my truck. Just someone I do business with.

The post was not meant as a recommendation only to poke a little fun at our sometimes excessive paranoia. Of course chicken little sometimes an asteroid really is inbound.

Well stated GeneK.. . I enjoy reading your posts on here. You add a lot of good insight and good information.

Wow!! It is amazing how we try to put a one size fits all oil change interval when we have so many climates, driving conditions and styles, along with vehicle types... Its also crazy how not that long ago a vehicle with 100k was considered old and worn out.. Nowadays cars blow past that mark with ease it seems.

Originally Posted by Gene K
Thought I would describe the carnage that could result from using the wrong oil and service interval.

Shop Truck
2009 F150 4.6L 2V
Oil Spec: 5W-20

OCI - Every 90 days
Rotella 15W-40 (Every oil change except the initial 5,000 mi free one at the dealer).

Miles - 480,000
Internal Parts Replaced - None

Please be careful or you to could be forced to drive a no option (except hitch & cruise) Fleet Spec XL for the next 480,000 mi.

Just shows the carnage to expect on an OCI that averaged over 10,000 mi and used the wrong oil.

How did that truck survive so long Gene? Someone stole some valves off that engine and left you only 2.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Back in the 90's I worked for U-Haul. Every truck from the 3.0Toyotas to the 454 chevies and the IDI diesels got 15w-40. Maybe U-Haul was onto something?

reminds me of a u-haul story.

I rented one of those big u-haul trucks and the guy had me mark down every dent and scratch ... It took me maybe 15-20 minutes. Lots of scratches and dents!

When I brought the truck back and dropped off the keys he said thank you! I asked if he wants to check for any damages and he says you can't hurt that truck
grin2.gif
I'm thinking why did I spend 20 minutes documenting everything? Didn't say anything though since I didn't want to get him upset ... He could have found a dent I missed and blamed it on me
lol.gif

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Originally Posted by Chris142
Back in the 90's I worked for U-Haul. Every truck from the 3.0Toyotas to the 454 chevies and the IDI diesels got 15w-40. Maybe U-Haul was onto something?

reminds me of a u-haul story.

I rented one of those big u-haul trucks and the guy had me mark down every dent and scratch ... It took me maybe 15-20 minutes. Lots of scratches and dents!

When I brought the truck back and dropped off the keys he said thank you! I asked if he wants to check for any damages and he says you can't hurt that truck
grin2.gif
I'm thinking why did I spend 20 minutes documenting everything? Didn't say anything though since I didn't want to get him upset ... He could have found a dent I missed and blamed it on me
lol.gif

Now it sends you a text with pictures to verify condition. You're lucky if you get it before you leave the lot. then you take pictures when you leave it. I've never had anyone say a word about one, but then I never damaged one either.

As for the OP, interesting if anecdotal case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Question for OP, do you know if the timing chains or tensioners have EVER been touched?

He told me nothing internal had ever been done to the engine but this is the same engine that used to go 150,000 in Police use followed by 400,000 mi as a Taxi so I'm not surprised. It's a heavy truck shop so I'm sure the 15W-40 came straight out of his bulk tank. For some reason the 4.6 is easier on timing parts than the 5.4.

Back