2006 TSX Rad flush - has non-Honda fluid

When the water pump was replaced a few years ago, green radiator fluid was used.
Some cheap idiot used the green stuff. Don't ask me how I know.
I wanna do a flush and use Honda fluid. The radiator drain will get most of the fluid, but some will remain in the block.

Should I fill with distilled water, get it hot and drain a 2nd time?
Remember, in sunny CA a little over diluted fluid is not an issue.
Or no big deal, just add the Honda fluid and go.

Thanks for your guidance.

If it were me id flush a few times with distilled water. Maybe even remove the thermostat to do the flush and replace with a new OE thermostat after.
Since I'm pretty anal about the coolant I wouldnt buy 50/50. You can get Toyota red concentrate or pentofrost concentrate to make the correct mixture.

Are you sure it's cheap green stuff? Honda Type 2 used to be a dark green that can look deceptively bright green in the sun. If it looks like gatorade it's probably the cheap stuff, any darker than that is probably Type 2.

If your mission is to get it all out the closest you can probably do is what E150GT said. Also look to see if your engine has a block drain, Honda puts them on their other engines so I don't see why it wouldn't, that would put the kibosh on your problem quickly.

Originally Posted by E150GT
If it were me id flush a few times with distilled water. ...

Yup until it runs clear. 6-10 gallons usually does it.. Heater on full hot.

I thought heaters were full flow these days, and instead used flaps in the HVAC case to adjust temperature.

I forget which engine the TSX uses. Honda's J series V6 has a block drain bolt. Without draining the block (and water pump and hoses), there will be quite a lot of old fluid left in there. For my part, I'm not nearly so scared of ‘regular' antifreeze as some are, but still if you're looking to remove what's in there and replace it with Honda-branded fluid, you should drain the block, pump, and lines (or flush with lots of distilled). If you don't do this, you might have as much as half the system capacity un-drained.

Originally Posted by bulwnkl
I forget which engine the TSX uses. Honda's J series V6 has a block drain bolt. Without draining the block (and water pump and hoses), there will be quite a lot of old fluid left in there. For my part, I'm not nearly so scared of ‘regular' antifreeze as some are, but still if you're looking to remove what's in there and replace it with Honda-branded fluid, you should drain the block, pump, and lines (or flush with lots of distilled). If you don't do this, you might have as much as half the system capacity un-drained.

K24. I believe there is a block drain in the rear above the oil filter.

You guys talked me outta the easy way.
Thanks to all.

Originally Posted by supton
I thought heaters were full flow these days, and instead used flaps in the HVAC case to adjust temperature.

It very well could be. Not sure about Honda, the Ranger for instance has a heater control valve. Never hurts.

Originally Posted by supton

That is very interesting. With all my stuff 2007 or earlier, would this apply to me as well?

Please drain the block, too.

Me, being a knucklehead, would do one drain and refill with Honda Fluid. Run it and then do another drain and fill with Honda Fluid.
I would be concerned as to how low my concentration would be if I did my flushes with distilled water knowing I could only add 50:50 back.

Probably wouldn't matter but I can afford a couple extra gallons of Honda Fluid AND I keep my cars for a long time.

Back