Tonneau Covers

I am interested in purchasing a hard tonneau cover (folding-type) for my new Ram 1500. This is one model I am considering:

https://bakindustries.com/bakflip-mx4/2020/ram/1500

The purpose of this cover is for keeping items out-of-sight. From a security standpoint, how does this compare to placing items inside of a trunk?

How easily can these covers be broken into?

It keeps things out of sight which is the main thing.

My issue with getting a tonneau cover is I have a Ford factory liner and a guard that protects the back windows from something in the pickup bed from slamming into the cab. I am not sure one will fit with those items installed.

Been Thinking about one also.
12.gif

I have a tri fold Tonneau from Lund that works exceptional. Fold it back if need be or totally remove if need be. I purchased mine off Summit some years back already and would do it again in a heartbeat. Really compliments my truck overall.

If someone wants in, they will get in. Also as a plus with these in California you can register a pickup as a non commercial vehicle if you have a camper-shell or tonneau cover, at least you used to be able to.

I have a bakflip trifold I have been using since 2011. Solid unit but I have issues with the seals. Mine came with garbage foam seals that tear off when the cover freezes down, which is often. My buddy has a newer version that has reportedly better rubber seals.

Other than that, its solid and does what it's supposed to.

I bought an Extang BlackMax Tonneau Cover on my 98 S-10 probably around 2000. The first cover lasted until around 2016 when I replaced it. Ill be honest, the replacement was a perfect fit, but isnt lasting as well...

So I have an old school snap cover. Ive used my truck for all kinds of stuff, from luggage to tools to wood to furniture, and a ton of other things.

A snap-on cover with a soft top is easy to get off, and hard to get back on, especially in the cold. But you can unsnap it to allow just the section you want to be open. The loose section has to be prevented from flopping around, but its very flexible. Any sort of hard cover, be it a full length or a 1/3 section type offers less flexibility, especially the full length type. It looks to me like the one you linked to has a metal frame and a soft cover attached to it.

I wouldnt be considering any soft type cover to be "secure". Have I ever had any issues? No. But the risk is always there. Ive seen hard ones (including roll-up hard ones) which have locks, and a truck with a locking tailgate and locking cover might be as secure as, say, a soft top jeep. Someone would have to really want to get in, and need to cut their way in, to see what you have. If you want security, you need a harder cover, and the downsides that come with it.

Id think of a tonneau as more of an easily employed dry storage. I can confidently say that the cover on my S-10 has never gotten wet inside from rains or storms.

An option Ive seen that I like, if youre concerned with storage, is to get a metal locking tool box, and then a shorter tonneau that offers the dry storage.

I have the MX4 on my Raptor. I like it a lot, the finish matches the trim on my truck well and it keeps things pretty dry back there. My bed has gaps between the floor and sides/front panel that let dust and water in that I've considered sealing up. I get a little water in The back of the bed when I go thru the car wash, like less than a 1/4 cup. I haven't really looked where exactly it comes in but it's back by the tailgate so maybe it's not even the cover itself. Driving in the rain I might see a drop or two in the bed. As far as security goes, someone familiar with it could release the clips that allow it to fold but I think having things out of sight with a locking tailgate is 99% of the battle.
[Linked Image]

I went with an Extang Blackmax snap cover. Debated long and hard between it and a trifold, I like that mine rolls up real nice and tight if I need the whole bed or just unroll what I need.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I worked for Truck Hero, which is the parent company of all the tonneaus mentioned plus many many more. The folding covers have a few different considerations. Both Bak and Undercover are flush mounts, both open fully to give you full access to your bed with one difference. The Bak rests against your cab fully open, the Undercover stands straight up leaving a gap between the cover and your cab. The Extang Solid fold lays on top of your bed rails, not flush. It cannot fully open without taking it completely off, but it is super easy and has no internal rail system like the Bak and Undercover do.
If you really want to be boggled how many types and styles of tonneau covers there really are, go to Truck-hero.com. They also own realtruck.com, sometimes the Gator brand can be a little better value but is basically the same cover plus or minus a couple of features. Rolling, folding, hard cover, soft cover, vinyl, fiberglass, retractable, they have them all plus many other truck accessory companies.

Any cover can be broken into. A hard cover and a locking tailgate is infinitely more secure than a soft cover.

Last edited:
I had an older Bakflip G2 which was excellent. However the new MX4 on my Tundra is highly disappointing. It leaks water everywhere (seams/corners). I realize it's not a waterproof cover but my new one is a joke. Additionally many of the stick on pieces and plastic corners are very loose. I have had parts fall off already at a month old. Backflip is NOT worth the money IMHO...

I have the MX4 on my 2016 F150. It has rubber seals and keeps the elements out. Because mine is 6.5ft, it actually has 4 folding sections. 3 of them have clips to lock to the rails and one doesn't. It's pretty easy to lift that one section without the clips and fish around to open it, but I haven't had any break ins or attempts.

A 5.5 ft regular bed wouldn't have that issue, but the normal fishing for the pull cord with a coat hanger could pop it open relatively easily. The greatest security would be an aluminum rolling cover as the sides are fully held down all Along its length. It wasn't useful in my case because of the room required up by the cab to contain the rolled up cover when retracted.

Originally Posted by The Critic
I am interested in purchasing a hard tonneau cover (folding-type) for my new Ram 1500. This is one model I am considering:

https://bakindustries.com/bakflip-mx4/2020/ram/1500

The purpose of this cover is for keeping items out-of-sight. From a security standpoint, how does this compare to placing items inside of a trunk?

How easily can these covers be broken into?

Does your Ram have the Multi Function Tailgate? I've been looking at tonneau covers, not 100% sure I want one yet, but mine has the MFT and I've found that a lot of them won't fit because of the braces in the corner of the bed.

I've tried a couple of hard folding tonneau covers and always went back to my Trifecta folding soft cover due to water leaking. Too many seals and too many drains on the hard ones. Might be fine if you like in a more arid region but here in Michigan it offers only marginal weatherproofing at best.

I had a Ford-branded BAKFlip on my 2011 F150. Actually, I had three of them because even the smallest pea-size and smaller hail did a real number on them. I love the look but it was like it was made of butter. Overkill's looks pretty good so perhaps they now have higher end models that are more robust.

I've had the ~$120 no name roll-up tonneau from eBay on my 2017 Ram 1500 quad cab for about 2.5yrs. Still looks and functions like new. Love the ability to roll it up completely out of the way in 30 seconds and if I trash it, I'll get another.

Originally Posted by Uregina09
I had a Ford-branded BAKFlip on my 2011 F150. Actually, I had three of them because even the smallest pea-size and smaller hail did a real number on them. I love the look but it was like it was made of butter. Overkill's looks pretty good so perhaps they now have higher end models that are more robust.

Yes-if you line where it hails you need a higher end model. That wold be a Bakflip F1.

Back